IN the beginning.

Old March 8th 04, 08:17 AM
K.chattenton

Default IN the beginning.

Hi all,

I am having trouble getting my head around that, "In the beginning" the
Universe was less than the size of an atomic Atom.
Is this really what scientists say and believe..? and if this correct, then
what was this Universe contained in..?.

Any help greatly appreciated.....cheers all, Ken UK.

---

Old March 9th 04, 07:55 AM
K.chattenton

HI Steven all,
"steven" wrote in message ...
As far as I can make out this was the universe. It was only this size,
nothing existed outside this, as there was no outside. Hope this helps
but maybe not.

Steven

Thanks for your reply.

I know what you are saying, but I still find this all totally amazing ( not
to mention impossible..?? ).

Cheers all Ken UK.

---

Old March 9th 04, 12:53 PM
Robin Leadbeater

"K.chattenton" wrote in message
HI Steven all,
"steven" wrote in message ...
As far as I can make out this was the universe. It was only this size,
nothing existed outside this, as there was no outside. Hope this helps
but maybe not.

Steven

Thanks for your reply.

I know what you are saying, but I still find this all totally amazing (

not
to mention impossible..?? ).

Cheers all Ken UK.

Hi Ken,

It is certainly amazing but all the evidence points to the universe (which
includes space itself) being very small and very hot in the past (Cosmic
microwave background, abundance of the simple elements) the tricky bit comes
when the other difficult question - "where did the universe come from?" is
asked. Some theories propose that our universe was created by events in
another structure "outside" the universe. However, since this structure is
not part of our universe, testing the validity of these theories is going to
be somewhat of a problem.

Robin

Old March 9th 04, 04:57 PM
Martin Frey

"Robin Leadbeater" wrote:

It is certainly amazing but all the evidence points to the universe (which
includes space itself) being very small and very hot in the past (Cosmic
microwave background, abundance of the simple elements) the tricky bit comes
when the other difficult question - "where did the universe come from?" is
asked. Some theories propose that our universe was created by events in
another structure "outside" the universe. However, since this structure is
not part of our universe, testing the validity of these theories is going to
be somewhat of a problem.

Robin

I can never understand the argument that runs:

We cannot saay what was going on at Big Bang-1 secs or even Big Bang +
1E-10 secs, therefore the whole theory is rubbish.

It seems to me that the correlations and confirmations with
extrapolating backwards from the current state of the cosmic
background to the supposed Big Bang is as mighty a piece of scientific
intelligence as we can imagine and not to be lightly dismissed.

That it is hard to understand or imagine or visualise is just
something we may have to live with: it is not grounds for dismissal.

--
Martin Frey
http://www.hadastro.org.uk
Old March 9th 04, 08:38 PM
Robin Leadbeater

"Martin Frey" wrote in message
"Robin Leadbeater" wrote:

[...]

Me neither,

It seems to me that the big bang theory, with inflation bolted, is pretty
useful. (It will be better when we know more about dark matter and dark
energy though!) For some reason people expect it to be "the theory of
everything" which of course it is not.

Robin

New Phase of Exploration Beginning for Mars Rovers Ron Astronomy Misc 0 March 27th 04 02:30 AM
new magazine for beginning observers orion94nl UK Astronomy 1 January 17th 04 12:46 PM
Beginning Telescope #2 Mark N. Misc 14 November 28th 03 05:07 PM
AURORA SEASON is beginning Sam Wormley Amateur Astronomy 0 August 25th 03 12:09 AM