v.bright fireball...

Old July 19th 06, 10:59 PM
nytecam[_1_] nytecam[_1_] is offline
Senior Member

Location: london-uk
Default v.bright fireball...

..seen ~mag -7 on Tuesday 2006 July 18 at ~23BST [2200UT] from Worcester Park SW London tracking north from SE - NE some 20 degrees above the horizon through Aquarius and slowly dipping in Pegasus. Head was coloured bright green with 2 degree tail coloured orange. This was the brightest and most colourful meteor I've seen for decades. Anyone else see it?

Nytecam 51N 0.1W

Last edited by nytecam : July 19th 06 at 11:09 PM.
Old July 20th 06, 08:45 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
David Entwistle[_1_]

In article , nytecam nytecam.2b7rlr@spa
cebanter.com writes

...seen ~mag -7 on Tuesday 2006 July 18 at ~23BST [2200UT] from Worcester
Park
SW London tracking north from SE - NE some 20 degrees above the

horizon through
Aquarius and slowly dipping in Pegasus. Head was

coloured bright green with 2
degree tail coloured orange. This was

the brightest and most colourful meteor
I've seen for decades. Anyone

else see it?

Hello Maurice,

No, but Klass Jobse reported a -9 sporadic 2006-07-18 22:55 UT from EN97
Oostkapelle. The times indicate that this wasn't the same event, but
there's a similarity in direction of travel suggesting the two meteors
may be related by a common radiant.

http://www.klaas-jobse.net/cyclops/A...ostkapelle.htm

--
David Entwistle
Old July 20th 06, 09:02 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
David Entwistle[_1_]

In article , David Entwistle
writes

No, but Klass Jobse reported...

Apologies, that should have been Klaas Jobse.
--
David Entwistle
Old July 20th 06, 07:20 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Chris Steyaert

No, but Klaas Jobse reported a -9 sporadic 2006-07-18 22:55 UT from EN97

which was also seen by many people in Belgium (and most likely also the
Netherlands).

Chris

Old July 20th 06, 09:53 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Dave Daniels

In article ,
nytecam wrote:

.seen ~mag -7 on Tuesday 2006 July 18 at ~23BST [2200UT] from Worcester
Park SW London tracking north from SE - NE some 20 degrees above the
horizon through Aquarius and slowly dipping in Pegasus. Head was
coloured bright green with 2 degree tail coloured orange. This was
the brightest and most colourful meteor I've seen for decades. Anyone
else see it?

I believe I saw it. I saw a very bright meteor at 22.53 UT
heading SE to NE through the square of Pegasus on July 18th. It
split up into several pieces at the end of its path. Looking at
Norton's, I would say this happened somewhere around the
Pegasus/Pisces border. This was from central Essex.

Nytecam 51N 0.1W

Dave Daniels

--
ANTISPAM: Apologies for the mangled address. The name is correct
but replace 127.0.0.1 with ormail.co.uk

Old July 21st 06, 08:34 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Mike Dworetsky

"Dave Daniels" wrote in message
nytecam wrote:

[...]

At University of London Observatory, UCL, I took a phone call yesterday from
people in Maidenhead (Berks) who asked for help identifying a bright object
at about 2355 BST (same time as other reports). They had been outside on
their patio trying to stay cool. Looking towards London, they saw a bright
greenish light with a short trail moving quickly from SE to NE. Estimated
elevation was 30 degrees (by a pilot, familiar with estimating angles and
bearings). So this was widely seen.
--
Mike Dworetsky

(Remove "pants" spamblock to send e-mail)

Old July 21st 06, 08:43 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Mike Dworetsky

"David Entwistle" wrote in message
[...]

The time from EN97 is in excellent agreement with a verbal report of a
bright fireball seen from Maidenhead. (See details in my other
osting). -9 mag is about as bright as first quarter Moon, isn't it?

Old July 21st 06, 02:39 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
David Entwistle[_1_]

In article , Mike Dworetsky platinum198@
pants.btinternet.com writes

-9 mag is about as bright as first quarter Moon, isn't it?

Yes, that seems about right.
--
David Entwistle
Old July 21st 06, 03:26 PM
nytecam[_1_] nytecam[_1_] is offline
Senior Member

Location: london-uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytecam
..seen ~mag -7 on Tuesday 2006 July 18 at ~23BST [2200UT] from Worcester Park SW London tracking north from SE - NE some 20 degrees above the horizon through Aquarius and slowly dipping in Pegasus. Head was coloured bright green with 2 degree tail coloured orange. This was the brightest and most colourful meteor I've seen for decades. Anyone else see it? Nytecam 51N 0.1W
Sincere apologies to everyone for a long senior moment. Our house guests have returned today and confirmed that I came into the house from the garden about midnight to say I'd seen the brightest meteor for ages which puts the [above] time at Tuesday 2006 July 18 ~2257UT.

I had gone into the garden about 1055pm BST during the Bond movie break but was
out again an hour later and confused the two occasions. Sorry about that. Must keep notes ;-)

Nytecam

Fireball reporting Ed Majden Research 0 March 30th 05 09:59 AM
Fireball reporting Ed Majden Amateur Astronomy 0 March 29th 05 06:18 PM
Lab fireball 'may be black hole' Bunn E. Rabbit Astronomy Misc 37 March 22nd 05 07:35 PM
Westcoast Fireball Mar 12, 2005, 07:45 PST Ed Majden Astronomy Misc 0 March 17th 05 08:24 PM
Westcoast Fireball Mar 12, 2005 Ed Majden Amateur Astronomy 0 March 17th 05 08:21 PM