Weirder election than Battlestar Galactica's

Old March 24th 06, 04:05 AM posted to alt.battlestar-galactica,rec.arts.tv,rec.models.rockets,sci.space.history

Default Weirder election than Battlestar Galactica's

"Jorge R. Frank" wrote in message

Johnson was eligible for reelection in 1968 (he had served less than two
years of JFK's term) but chose not to run. See
http://www.usconstitution.net/const.html#Am22

Yes, he chose not to run because he knew he couldn't win.

Old March 24th 06, 04:10 AM posted to alt.battlestar-galactica,rec.arts.tv,rec.models.rockets,sci.space.history

"Robert J. Kolker" wrote in message

The idea and some of the concepts may have been formulated earlier but the
Project consists of the full task list. The PERT chart. No PERT Chart, no
project. You call wishful thinking and mental masturbation a project. You
are wrong. No project unless the plans in all their details have been
formulated and the money made available to realized the plans.

You're still missing the point. We are concerned only with the initiation
of the Apollo program here. It is a historical fact that that ocurred prior
to the Kennedy presidency. Nothing can change that.

I suspect you have very little experience in how real large scale
projects, both governmental and corporate are carried out. Day dreaming
about rockets to the moon doth not a project make.

That may be, but it doesn't change the fact that the Apollo project was
initiated before JFK was even president-elect.

Old March 24th 06, 04:12 AM posted to alt.battlestar-galactica,rec.arts.tv,rec.models.rockets,sci.space.history

"Cranny Dane" wrote in message

Hey Steve,

Know the difference between rape and rapture ?

Yes. Do you know the difference between initiation and commitment?

Old March 24th 06, 04:14 AM posted to alt.battlestar-galactica,rec.arts.tv,rec.models.rockets,sci.space.history

"Brian Thorn" wrote in message

"Accordingly, I shall not seek, and I will not accept, the nomination
of my party for another term as your President."

President Lyndon B. Johnson - March 31, 1968
http://www.historyplace.com/speeches/lbj-decision.htm

Let's play a little Jeopardy

Answer: March 31, 1968

Question: By what date did LBJ realize he couldn't possibly be reelected?

Old March 24th 06, 04:18 AM posted to alt.battlestar-galactica,rec.arts.tv,rec.models.rockets,sci.space.history

Robert Juliano wrote:

Robert J. Kolker wrote:

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

"Rand Simberg" wrote in message

Then who do you fantasize did?

I don't know, but I do know that NASA announced Project Apollo on
July 28, 1960, when Senator JFK was busily running for president.

Not announced. Proposed. It took JFK and Congress to come up with the
money. Twentfour billion 1960s dollars to leave a foot print on the
Moon. Not a very good deal, was it?

Bob Kolker

Mr. Kolker,

It wasn't JUST "leaving footprints on the moon."

we managed to get a few more benefits than JUST landing on the moon...

like:

bio telemetry

Existed before Apollo. Every major hospital had some kind of automated
telemetry system to keep track of patients in the ICUs. You don't have
to go to the moon to do that, and private companies developed it because
it is profitable.

alloys

Alloy work was already done in the development of the SR-71. A
legitimate defense expenditure. We did not have to go to the moon for
that one. Mach 3 and Mach 4 aircraft need durable metal hulls made of
stuff like titanium.

large scale systems engineering

PERT and PEP charts existed well before the Apollo project.

satellite monitoring

Launching satellites (which was done before and after Apollo) does not
need a man rated system. It can be done cheaply as an unmanned project.

fuel cells

High quality items that nearly destroyed Apollo 13. Way to go NASA!

power management

That would have occurred without a moon program. After the debacle of
1965 with the power gone out over most of the East coast power
managament was a required item. We don't need NASA for that.

more alloys
better weather prediction

How did going to the Moon result in better weather models. Is
puzzlement. We already had weather satellites up before the Moon shot. A
Moon shot was not necessary for that.

Each and all of these things separately could have been developed for
less money by private firms. When the government does something it does
it badly (like the first capsule design that killed the three astronauts
in the Apollo 1 static test).

What really gripes me is once we got there why didn't we set up habitats
for further research and build observertories on the dark side. We came,
we saw, we left. It makes no sense except as a dick measuring
competation between the U.S. and the (then) U.S.S.R. We spent and spent
then ****ed it away. And for what? A footprint on the Moon that said
made in the U.S.A..

Bob Kolker
Old March 24th 06, 07:09 AM posted to alt.battlestar-galactica,rec.arts.tv,rec.models.rockets,sci.space.history

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 21:57:37 -0500, in a place far, far away, Robert
Juliano made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

It wasn't JUST "leaving footprints on the moon."

we managed to get a few more benefits than JUST landing on the moon...

like:

bio telemetry
alloys
large scale systems engineering
satellite monitoring
fuel cells
power management
more alloys
better weather prediction

Most of these we would have gotten in the absence of Apollo, and some
of them Apollo contributed to not at all.
Old March 24th 06, 07:41 AM posted to alt.battlestar-galactica,rec.arts.tv,rec.models.rockets,sci.space.history

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

"Robert J. Kolker" wrote in message

The idea and some of the concepts may have been formulated earlier but the
Project consists of the full task list. The PERT chart. No PERT Chart, no
project. You call wishful thinking and mental masturbation a project. You
are wrong. No project unless the plans in all their details have been
formulated and the money made available to realized the plans.

You're still missing the point. We are concerned only with the initiation
of the Apollo program here. It is a historical fact that that ocurred prior
to the Kennedy presidency. Nothing can change that.

Going by your logic, we should give Bush I credit for the new moon/mars
initiative, since he proposed it back in the 80's.

At this point, I'm not even willing to give Bush II credit for it, or
the CEV, until it's more than computer graphics images...

David Erbas-White
Old March 24th 06, 10:20 AM posted to alt.battlestar-galactica,rec.arts.tv,rec.models.rockets,sci.space.history

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 22:18:32 -0500, "Robert J. Kolker"
wrote:

What really gripes me is once we got there why didn't we set up habitats
for further research and build observertories on the dark side.

SDI then ISS took precedence.

--
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant:
It's just that they know so much that isn't so."
Old March 24th 06, 10:24 AM posted to alt.battlestar-galactica,rec.arts.tv,rec.models.rockets,sci.space.history

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 17:20:05 -0500, "Robert J. Kolker"
wrote:

Not by anyone in a position to make it happen.

Werner von Braun was.

Not without Congress footing the bill.

Indeed. And it was not JFK who made Congress fund NASA. He was just a
political puppet of the special interests who ran NASA.

The Military-Industrial Complex calls the shots for NASA. There was
even a time when the USAF made an attempt to take over NASA but
inter-agency rivalry killed it.

Old March 24th 06, 10:27 AM posted to alt.battlestar-galactica,rec.arts.tv,rec.models.rockets,sci.space.history

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 21:57:37 -0500, Robert Juliano
wrote:

we managed to get a few more benefits than JUST landing on the moon...

like:

bio telemetry
alloys
large scale systems engineering
satellite monitoring
fuel cells
power management
more alloys
better weather prediction

to name just a few...

You left out the entire microelectronics revolution and the computer.
Then there's communications - satellites, etc.

New Technology - Military Applications - Spin Off - Civilian Sector