Weirder election than Battlestar Galactica's

Old March 23rd 06, 11:53 PM posted to alt.battlestar-galactica,rec.arts.tv,rec.models.rockets,sci.space.history

Default Weirder election than Battlestar Galactica's

wrote in message
oups.com...

If youu look at what happened under the Nixon administration he was
liberal by today's very conservative standards.

If you compare the administrations Kennedy's was the more conservative.

Old March 23rd 06, 11:55 PM posted to alt.battlestar-galactica,rec.arts.tv,rec.models.rockets,sci.space.history

wrote in message
oups.com...

And apparently, neither do you.

If that is apparent to you then you must be as ignorant of US government as
Rand is.

Old March 24th 06, 12:04 AM posted to alt.battlestar-galactica,rec.arts.tv,rec.models.rockets,sci.space.history

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

"Robert J. Kolker" wrote in message

It was contemplated and studied by NASA. It took congress with the
inspiration of JFK to come up with nearly ten years of funding to
do the job. Over twentyfour billion 1960s dollars to put a
footprint on the Moon.

That may be, but it doesn't change the fact that the Apollo project
was initiated before JFK was even president-elect.

As I recall, it was Truman. Turns out they needed Area 51 for studying
a crashed alien spacecraft, so there wasn't room to fake the moon
landing as they were planning. He had them invent NASA and land on the
moon for real.

Brian

won't shut up.
Old March 24th 06, 01:50 AM posted to alt.battlestar-galactica,rec.arts.tv,rec.models.rockets,sci.space.history

"Robert J. Kolker" wrote in news:48gfdgFjul17U5
@individual.net:

Rand Simberg wrote:

Yes.

I did. I even shook Werner von Braun's hand.

Well, whoop-de-doo.

This is the same Werner v Braun who famously said: "I aim for the stars
but sometimes I hit London and Antwerp."

Von Braun never said that. /I Aim for the Stars/ was the title of one of
his books, and satirist Mort Sahl added "(But Sometimes I Hit London)".

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.
Old March 24th 06, 01:55 AM posted to alt.battlestar-galactica,rec.arts.tv,rec.models.rockets,sci.space.history

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in news:CXyUf.9251
:

"Rand Simberg" wrote in message

Actually, had Johnson been reelected, it would have even with Apollo
One.

If Johnson could have been reelected he would have run for reelection.

Johnson was eligible for reelection in 1968 (he had served less than two
years of JFK's term) but chose not to run. See
http://www.usconstitution.net/const.html#Am22
--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.
Old March 24th 06, 02:58 AM posted to alt.battlestar-galactica,rec.arts.tv,rec.models.rockets,sci.space.history

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

That may be, but it doesn't change the fact that the Apollo project was
initiated before JFK was even president-elect.

The idea and some of the concepts may have been formulated earlier but
the Project consists of the full task list. The PERT chart. No PERT
Chart, no project. You call wishful thinking and mental masturbation a
project. You are wrong. No project unless the plans in all their details
have been formulated and the money made available to realized the plans.

I suspect you have very little experience in how real large scale
projects, both governmental and corporate are carried out. Day dreaming
about rockets to the moon doth not a project make.

Bob Kolker
Old March 24th 06, 03:36 AM posted to alt.battlestar-galactica,rec.arts.tv,rec.models.rockets,sci.space.history

Cranny Dane wrote:

Maybe Disney would for him ?

Disney was an honest business man. He did not have twenty four billion
to spend on leaving footprints on the Moon. He probably did not even
have a billion to spend. On the other hand, the U.S. government anually
rapes and plunders is citizens so it has the money to do such useful
things as leaving foot prints on the moon.

If the gummint was going to spend that kind of money, it should have set
up habitats ( a system similar to Antarctica) for science study and
funded telescopes to be built on the dark side of the moon. At least we
would have gotten decent astronomy out of it.

Bob Kolker

Old March 24th 06, 03:37 AM posted to alt.battlestar-galactica,rec.arts.tv,rec.models.rockets,sci.space.history

"Jorge R. Frank" wrote in message
"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in news:CXyUf.9251
:

"Rand Simberg" wrote in message

Actually, had Johnson been reelected, it would have even with Apollo
One.

If Johnson could have been reelected he would have run for reelection.

Johnson was eligible for reelection in 1968 (he had served less than two
years of JFK's term) but chose not to run. See
http://www.usconstitution.net/const.html#Am22

That is 100% correct.
What Steven was referring to was the fact that Johnson knew he had no chance
of winning so he decided not to run.

Old March 24th 06, 03:41 AM posted to alt.battlestar-galactica,rec.arts.tv,rec.models.rockets,sci.space.history

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 15:14:42 GMT, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote:

Actually, had Johnson been reelected, it would have even with Apollo
One.

If Johnson could have been reelected he would have run for reelection.

"Accordingly, I shall not seek, and I will not accept, the nomination
of my party for another term as your President."

President Lyndon B. Johnson - March 31, 1968
http://www.historyplace.com/speeches/lbj-decision.htm