Hubble to be abandoned

Old February 18th 04, 09:36 AM
OM

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 21:53:29 -0500, (Peter
Stickney) wrote:

http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/resea...hter/f107a.htm

The North American F-107A. One of the best airplanes we never bought.

....Second only to the F-23, which was passed over for the F-22 as part
of Dickhead Cheney's stupid DOD tricks. Of course, there is the
question of whether we were better off with the Thuds or not. Sled
drivers will still swear by them, but quite a number of people think
the opposite.

Of course, that top-feed intake still takes quite a bit of getting
used to...

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old February 18th 04, 09:45 AM
George William Herbert

Scott Hedrick wrote:
"Peter Stickney" wrote:
Zeta Reticulan Flying Disks.

They were scheduled to land months ago- why don't we ask them about their
safety records?

I am shocked, and dismayed, and shocked that nobody else has
bothered to point out that Dwayne Day was involved in the
Columbia AIB.

-george william herbert

Old February 18th 04, 09:52 AM
OM

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 09:09:06 -0500, (Peter
Stickney) wrote:

Loss rates for early jet fighters were very high, Generally at levels
that would give Bob Haller an aneurysm.

....If only the sacrifice of so many would have accomplished this. Then
again, for all we know it *did* happen, he survived it, and that's why
he kant spel wurth a fuq.

OM

--

"No ******* ever won a war by dying for |
http://www.io.com/~o_m

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old February 18th 04, 02:32 PM
Scott Hedrick

"Derek Lyons" wrote in message
Kevin Willoughby wrote:
I suspect it has more to do with the extreme conservatism of submarine
designers and operators.

With damn good reason.

Old February 18th 04, 03:34 PM
jeff findley

OM om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org writes:
Of course, that top-feed intake still takes quite a bit of getting
used to...

Wouldn't you have less of a chance of injesting FOD into the engine
during wartime with that intake?

Jeff
--
Remove "no" and "spam" from email address to reply.
If it says "This is not spam!", it's surely a lie.
Old February 18th 04, 03:44 PM
Henry Spencer

Derek Lyons wrote:
software tools are in error (which is not infrequent, it's all proprietary
code that you are not allowed to see, examine, and verify).

I'm not certain that Open Source code would change the situation any.
I don't think an engineer is going to open the code to verify...

You might be surprised. Not every engineer using it, certainly, and not a
complete audit, but it's not unlikely that occasionally somebody would
spend a while digging into the code on some specific issue.

so who does the verification?

Don't overlook the possibility of having audits done by researchers or
industry consortia.

Certainly some efforts at verification would seem in order. Les Hatton's
experiments about a decade ago, comparing the outputs of "production"
software packages used for seismic data processing, revealed barely one
digit of agreement between packages (supposedly implementing the same
well-known algorithms) whose outputs were routinely trusted to three or
four digits in choosing oil-drilling sites.
--
MOST launched 30 June; science observations running | Henry Spencer
since Oct; first surprises seen; papers pending. |
Old February 18th 04, 03:52 PM
Henry Spencer

Kevin Willoughby wrote:
I don't know that it is necessary, however. Canada, e.g., seems to do
quite well with paper ballots.

Mind you, a key feature of our hand-counted elections is very simple
ballots. If the US is going to insist on putting a dozen offices and
issues on the same ballot, some form of mechanized counting is pretty much
inevitable. (You can still have paper ballots, mind you, and the option
of doing a hand count for verification, by using something like mark-sense
ballots.)

Kevin Willoughby lid
Imagine that, a FROG ON-OFF switch, hardly the work
for test pilots. -- Mike Collins

Collins would be on stronger ground there if astronauts weren't notorious
for a significant error rate on switch-flipping for experiments... :-)