"THIS is my Letter to the World!"

Old January 1st 12, 07:12 PM posted to sci.military.naval,sci.space.policy,rec.arts.poems
Uncle Steve

Default "THIS is my Letter to the World!"

On Sun, Jan 01, 2012 at 10:48:07AM -0500, Jonathan wrote:

"Uncle Steve" wrote in message
On Sun, Jan 01, 2012 at 09:25:04AM -0500, Robert Collins wrote:
On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 09:38:03PM -0700, Fred J. McCall wrote:
"Jonathan" wrote:

Why are science and religion still at odds?
When will we have a unified view?

Never. The two bear no relationship to each other, nor should they.

People who want to reconcile the two generally mean that they want
science subordinate to religion, but there are those who would use
science (actually, technology) to impose their religion on the
'peasantry'. We would generally call those people plutocrats.

The epistemology of religion is what really makes it fundamentally
incompatible with science and scientific inquiry. I'm not sure why we
don't have more discussion about that aspect of religion.

I hate it when that happens. Fred, I know you didn't do that on
purpose because just I know you don't know what kind of software I
use, nor how it might be subverted for trivial tactical reasons.

The "alt.poetry" newsgroup is the icing on the cake. Don't worry, I
am not phased by your unprofessionalism.

Are you ok? Drink too much last night?

What do you mean by 'ok'?

And my drinking was nominal.

Regards,

Uncle Steve

--
10+ years disposessed and made to reside in a ghetto-gulag, plus
theft of intellectual property and sabotage of same.

Old January 1st 12, 08:13 PM posted to sci.military.naval,sci.space.policy,rec.arts.poems
Uncle Steve

"Jonathan" wrote:

Why are science and religion still at odds?
When will we have a unified view?

Never. The two bear no relationship to each other, nor should they.

People who want to reconcile the two generally mean that they want
science subordinate to religion, but there are those who would use
science (actually, technology) to impose their religion on the
'peasantry'. We would generally call those people plutocrats.

Plutocrats dont care a flying fig about the beliefs of the people.

That's arguable.

As long as they can hang on to power and wealth the people
can believe anything they want.

Do you think our putative plutocrats prefer an ignorant population or
an educated population?

The best historical example of a plutocracy was the ancient
Roman republic. The Romans adopted gods and belief systems
from around the mediterranean in a thoroughly promiscuous
manner.

They had civic institutions much like ours as well, or at least with
enough similarities to make direct comparisons more than just
possible. How would you characterize our plutocrats in the West? I'm
not really comfortable with the simplistic 99%/1% dichotomy that's
been recently popularized. We ought to be able to derive a better
taxonomy of class in the West.

Regards,

Uncle Steve

Old January 1st 12, 08:42 PM posted to sci.military.naval,sci.space.policy,rec.arts.poems
Keith W

"Jonathan" wrote:

Why are science and religion still at odds?
When will we have a unified view?

Never. The two bear no relationship to each other, nor should
they.

People who want to reconcile the two generally mean that they want
science subordinate to religion, but there are those who would use
science (actually, technology) to impose their religion on the
'peasantry'. We would generally call those people plutocrats.

Plutocrats dont care a flying fig about the beliefs of the people.

That's arguable.

As long as they can hang on to power and wealth the people
can believe anything they want.

Do you think our putative plutocrats prefer an ignorant population or
an educated population?

They undoubredly prefer a population eductaed in the right way.
They can make them more money.

The best historical example of a plutocracy was the ancient
Roman republic. The Romans adopted gods and belief systems
from around the mediterranean in a thoroughly promiscuous
manner.

They had civic institutions much like ours as well, or at least with
enough similarities to make direct comparisons more than just
possible. How would you characterize our plutocrats in the West?

They want money and power and dont give a damn about what your
religious beliefs are.

Do you seriously think that Bill Gates loses sleep over how many
of his customers are presbyterian ?

Is it your belief that Lakshmi Mittal agonizes over the fact more
people are not Hindu ?

Personally I dont see Warren Buffet funding a new religious
crusade anytime soon.

Keith

Old January 1st 12, 10:40 PM posted to sci.military.naval,sci.space.policy,rec.arts.poems
Uncle Steve

"Jonathan" wrote:

Why are science and religion still at odds?
When will we have a unified view?

Never. The two bear no relationship to each other, nor should
they.

People who want to reconcile the two generally mean that they want
science subordinate to religion, but there are those who would use
science (actually, technology) to impose their religion on the
'peasantry'. We would generally call those people plutocrats.

Plutocrats dont care a flying fig about the beliefs of the people.

That's arguable.

As long as they can hang on to power and wealth the people
can believe anything they want.

Do you think our putative plutocrats prefer an ignorant population or
an educated population?

They undoubredly prefer a population eductaed in the right way.
They can make them more money.

Meaning ignorant and stupid. Intelligent people with balanced
emotions don't **** up their environment and promote racism and
religious delusions.

The best historical example of a plutocracy was the ancient
Roman republic. The Romans adopted gods and belief systems
from around the mediterranean in a thoroughly promiscuous
manner.

They had civic institutions much like ours as well, or at least with
enough similarities to make direct comparisons more than just
possible. How would you characterize our plutocrats in the West?

They want money and power and dont give a damn about what your
religious beliefs are.

I disagree. They encourage religion because it is a great big
distraction, and leaves said plutocrats with less meaningful
opposition.

Do you seriously think that Bill Gates loses sleep over how many
of his customers are presbyterian ?

Is it your belief that Lakshmi Mittal agonizes over the fact more
people are not Hindu ?

Personally I dont see Warren Buffet funding a new religious
crusade anytime soon.

That is all besides the point. Actual plutocrats are a socio-economic
class, and not necessarily representative of your contrived selection
of examples. And it should be noted that plutocrats attract people
who want to suck-up to the "powerful", and who trade their obedience
and support for favor. Assholes like "William Black" are probably in
that secondary class, if you want to get specific. Meaning that
people like that don't quite have the intellectual horsepower to be
actual plutocrats.

Regards,

Uncle Steve

Old January 1st 12, 11:21 PM posted to sci.military.naval,sci.space.policy,rec.arts.poems
Keith W

Uncle Steve wrote:
On Sun, Jan 01, 2012 at 07:42:19PM -0000, Keith W wrote:

They want money and power and dont give a damn about what your
religious beliefs are.

I disagree. They encourage religion because it is a great big
distraction, and leaves said plutocrats with less meaningful
opposition.

Do you seriously think that Bill Gates loses sleep over how many
of his customers are presbyterian ?

Is it your belief that Lakshmi Mittal agonizes over the fact more
people are not Hindu ?

Personally I dont see Warren Buffet funding a new religious
crusade anytime soon.

That is all besides the point.

Well no it is precisely the point.

Actual plutocrats are a socio-economic
class, and not necessarily representative of your contrived selection

This selection was picked at random from the list of
the top 10 richest people in the world

Take a look at the list and tell us which of them are
actively supporting evangelism on a large scale

http://www.forbes.com/wealth/billionaires

of examples. And it should be noted that plutocrats attract people
who want to suck-up to the "powerful", and who trade their obedience
and support for favor.

True but irrelevant to the contention that they are peddlers of religion

Assholes like "William Black" are probably in
that secondary class, if you want to get specific. Meaning that
people like that don't quite have the intellectual horsepower to be
actual plutocrats.

William and I have our disagreements but I dont see
him as a plutocrats lackey.

Keith

Old January 2nd 12, 12:02 AM posted to sci.military.naval,sci.space.policy,rec.arts.poems
Uncle Steve

"Jonathan" wrote:

Why are science and religion still at odds?
When will we have a unified view?

Never. The two bear no relationship to each other, nor should they.

People who want to reconcile the two generally mean that they want
science subordinate to religion,

No. There are people who want to use science to invalidate religion,
too.

Well I know that, duh.

The epistemology of religion is what really makes it fundamentally
incompatible with science and scientific inquiry. I'm not sure why we
don't have more discussion about that aspect of religion.

That's only part of the issue. The entire purpose of the two is
different (except to those people who abuse them).

Religion isn't at all comparable to science anyhow. Within
Christianity alone there are several distinct ontological levels
ranging from simple-minded biblical literalism to the plutocrats in
the Vatican who go about the work of managing the politics of the
faith. At least among real scientists, everyone is agreed on what
science is and how it should be done. Religionists can't even speak
about the epistemology of their faith without revealing the game to
outsiders.

Regards,

Uncle Steve

Old January 2nd 12, 12:16 AM posted to sci.military.naval,sci.space.policy,rec.arts.poems
Uncle Steve

On Sun, Jan 01, 2012 at 10:21:45PM -0000, Keith W wrote:
Uncle Steve wrote:
[...]

You're confusing oligarch with plutocrat.

of examples. And it should be noted that plutocrats attract people
who want to suck-up to the "powerful", and who trade their obedience
and support for favor.

True but irrelevant to the contention that they are peddlers of religion

I didn't say that they peddle religion, rather that they support its
imposition on the body politic. Any random plutocrat _may_ "peddle
religion" as you say, but that would be an individual matter. Perhaps
it is clearer if I suggest that Conrad Black is a plutocrat, whereas
Bill Gates is probably not a plutocrat. And if I've got my family
history at all straight, Joseph Close Harsh was probably a plutocrat
whereas Peter Mendelson probably isn't.

Assholes like "William Black" are probably in
that secondary class, if you want to get specific. Meaning that
people like that don't quite have the intellectual horsepower to be
actual plutocrats.

William and I have our disagreements but I dont see
him as a plutocrats lackey.

Opinions vary. I'm not terribly attached to the idea, but from my
perspective it does seem likely.

Regards,

Uncle Steve

Old January 2nd 12, 12:56 AM posted to alt.fan.madonna,sci.military.naval,sci.space.policy,rec.arts.poems
Uncle Steve

"Jonathan" wrote:

[...]

********

I take that to mean you've run out of rhetorical road.

Regards,

Uncle Steve

Old January 2nd 12, 01:28 AM posted to sci.military.naval,sci.space.policy,rec.arts.poems
Uncle Steve

On Sun, Jan 01, 2012 at 05:14:23PM -0700, Fred J. McCall wrote:
Uncle Steve wrote:

At least among real scientists, everyone is agreed on what
science is and how it should be done.

And that's why there is never any disagreement about scientific claims
(like Global Warming, for example).

There is rarely any disagreement about scientific claims primarily
because so few do any fact-checking to see whether the methods,
experiments, data, or conclusions all match up. The global warming
debate is riddled with ideological whores and pseudo-scientists so
there's no shortage of argumentative controversy.

I specifically stated "real scientists", which automatically
disqualifies commie pinko fake scientists.

Regards,

Uncle Steve

Old January 2nd 12, 01:34 AM posted to sci.military.naval,sci.space.policy,rec.arts.poems
Sylvia Else[_2_]

On 2/01/2012 9:05 AM, Fred J. McCall wrote:
wrote:

Science is based on fact.
Religion is based on faith.
That's why.

Additionally

Science is about HOW.
Religion is about WHY.

Insisting that the two must be 'reconciled' is rather like insisting
that apples and aardvarks must be 'reconciled' into a single critter.

We find the common aspect - DNA - then argue that the difference is just
a phase transition.

Sylvia.