Is Joe Barton Right (Stop STS)?

Old July 11th 03, 03:39 AM
George William Herbert

Default Is Joe Barton Right (Stop STS)?

Dick Morris wrote:
[...]

How do airliners do it?

They overfly populated areas all the time.

During early flight test? I don't *think* so...

-george william herbert

Old July 11th 03, 04:35 PM
Dick Morris

George William Herbert wrote:

Dick Morris wrote:
[...]
How do airliners do it?

They overfly populated areas all the time.

During early flight test? I don't *think* so...

-george william herbert

Our Renton and Everett plants are in populated areas, so the first
flights are necessarily over populated areas. The Flight Test center is
at Boeing Field which is in an even more densely populated area. Some
flight testing is done over at Moses Lake, or, IIRC, down at Edwards
AFB, but a substantial portion is over populated areas.
Old July 14th 03, 11:07 PM
Brian Thorn

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 20:49:40 -0500, "Christopher M. Jones"
wrote:

They overfly populated areas all the time.

During early flight test? I don't *think* so...

But airliners have been known to kill people on the ground. No manned
spacecraft ever has. So why not ban airliners from flying over
populated areas?

That's an erroneous argument.

The whole argument is erroneous, that's my point.

Even if manned spaceflight was 10x more
likely to kill people on the ground than airplanes,
you wouldn't expect any deaths yet based on the small
number of manned spaceflights.

Then why bother trying to ban it?

Also, rocket launches over populated areas *have*
killed people before, just ask the Chinese.

The Chinese deny it. Gotta love 'em.

Brian
Old July 15th 03, 12:07 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Brian Thorn" wrote in message
On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 19:23:16 GMT, Dick Morris
wrote:

During early flight test? I don't *think* so...

But airliners have been known to kill people on the ground. No manned
spacecraft ever has. So why not ban airliners from flying over
populated areas?

They only do so once in many millions of flights.

And when they do, it tends to be near an airport. So I say that the
statistics strongly suggest we should ban all aircraft from flying
near airports.

I love statistics! :-)

Hey, ever since I learned that 90% of all car accidents occur within 5 miles
of my home, I park my car 5 miles away and walk the rest.

Brian

Old July 15th 03, 12:34 AM
Dick Morris

wrote:

During early flight test? I don't *think* so...

But airliners have been known to kill people on the ground. No manned
spacecraft ever has. So why not ban airliners from flying over
populated areas?

They only do so once in many millions of flights.

And when they do, it tends to be near an airport. So I say that the
statistics strongly suggest we should ban all aircraft from flying
near airports.

I love statistics! :-)

I hate statistics. :-(

Brian

Old July 15th 03, 01:05 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Rand Simberg" wrote in message
On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 23:07:30 GMT, in a place far, far away, "Greg D.
Moore \(Strider\)" made the phosphor on my

Hey, ever since I learned that 90% of all car accidents occur within 5

miles
of my home, I park my car 5 miles away and walk the rest.

Why don't you just move?

What and find a place 5 miles further from work?

Old July 15th 03, 07:09 AM
Christopher M. Jones

wrote:
But airliners have been known to kill people on the ground. No manned
spacecraft ever has. So why not ban airliners from flying over
populated areas?

That's an erroneous argument.

The whole argument is erroneous, that's my point.

I'm not out of order, YOU'RE out of order!

Errr, and by that I mean, ok, that's all fine and good but
I think it's probably worth the extra words to argue
directly against the argument than to raise a false
argument that you think is along the same lines and is
equally erroneous. It's like those people asking why we
haven't bombed North Korea yet but who don't really want
us to bomb North Korea at all.

Even if manned spaceflight was 10x more
likely to kill people on the ground than airplanes,
you wouldn't expect any deaths yet based on the small
number of manned spaceflights.

Then why bother trying to ban it?

There's this thing where people pop in and out of
threads and where sub-threads drift off topic and end
up being skewed from or sometimes entirely different
from the original topic. We call it usenet. Do try
to keep up. =)

Also, rocket launches over populated areas *have*
killed people before, just ask the Chinese.

The Chinese deny it. Gotta love 'em.

Well of course, if they admitted it it'd be even worse
PR, and it was bad enough as it was.