What's wrong with there being ETs (smarter than us none the less)

Old June 22nd 07, 09:09 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.skeptic,sci.astro,uk.sci.astronomy
Rand Simberg[_1_]

Default What's wrong with there being ETs (smarter than us none the less)

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 11:40:48 -0700, in a place far, far away,
"Chris.B" made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

There's a terrifying lack of intelligence shown in this thread!

What do you expect? It's a Guth thread.
Old June 22nd 07, 10:41 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.skeptic,sci.astro,uk.sci.astronomy
George Dishman[_1_]

"Fred J. McCall" wrote in message
: Ian Parker wrote:

: :We are replacing analogue
: :television at a rate of knots ...

What the hell is "a rate of knots"?

Is English not one of your first three languages?

The phrase is actually quite commonly used
in England, simply meaning very rapidly.

George

Old June 23rd 07, 12:40 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.skeptic,sci.astro,uk.sci.astronomy
BradGuth

On Jun 22, 1:09 pm, (Rand Simberg)
wrote:
On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 11:40:48 -0700, in a place far, far away,
"Chris.B" made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

There's a terrifying lack of intelligence shown in this thread!

What do you expect? It's a Guth thread.

Is this another Zion mindset having a bad Usenet infomercial spewing
day?
-
Brad Guth

Old June 23rd 07, 12:42 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.skeptic,sci.astro,uk.sci.astronomy
Sylvia Else

BradGuth wrote:
Which laws of physics forbids other intelligent life?

What sort of evolution is strictly terrestrial limited?

What sort of planet/moon extremes are totally insurmountable for
having accommodated intelligent life?
-
"whoever controls the past, controls the future" / George Orwell
-
Brad Guth

On the "smarter than us" part of the subject line, it's worth
remembering that intelligence doesn't appear to arise as a natural
progression in the scheme of things, but as a respose to environmental
stress. You evolve to be intelligent enough to survive - because the
others don't survive and don't reproduce. When times get easier, you may
keep your intelligence. The human race appears to have got its
intelligence in a time of drought, but almost got wiped out in the process.

So ET maybe somewhat more intelligent than we are. But much more so? Not
so clear that that would happen.

Sylvia.
Old June 23rd 07, 01:55 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.skeptic,sci.astro,uk.sci.astronomy
Robert Weldon

"BradGuth" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 22, 1:09 pm, (Rand Simberg)
wrote:
On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 11:40:48 -0700, in a place far, far away,
"Chris.B" made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

There's a terrifying lack of intelligence shown in this thread!

What do you expect? It's a Guth thread.

Is this another Zion mindset having a bad Usenet infomercial spewing
day?
-
Brad Guth

So what you are saying, essentially, that anyone who disagrees with your
guthspew, or heaven forbid, calls you a loon, has a Zion mindset? Care to
tell use what a Zion mindset is, and how calling you a loon based on your
wordsalad has anything to do with zionism?

Old June 23rd 07, 02:10 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.skeptic,sci.astro,uk.sci.astronomy
BradGuth

On Jun 22, 4:42 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
BradGuth wrote:
Which laws of physics forbids other intelligent life?

What sort of evolution is strictly terrestrial limited?

What sort of planet/moon extremes are totally insurmountable for
having accommodated intelligent life?
-
"whoever controls the past, controls the future" / George Orwell
-
Brad Guth

On the "smarter than us" part of the subject line, it's worth
remembering that intelligence doesn't appear to arise as a natural
progression in the scheme of things, but as a respose to environmental
stress. You evolve to be intelligent enough to survive - because the
others don't survive and don't reproduce. When times get easier, you may
keep your intelligence. The human race appears to have got its
intelligence in a time of drought, but almost got wiped out in the process.

Then most of the extremely complex and obviously robust life other
than humans on this Earth is simply a whole lot smarter about their
having survived than of us village idiots, as most other life having
survived for hundreds of thousands if not millions of years without
their having gone postal over any sort of faith-based bigotry, greed
or arrogance applied against their own kind, like we humans so often
needed to accomplish in order to have survived thus far, and with not
very long to go I might as well add.

So ET maybe somewhat more intelligent than we are. But much more so? Not
so clear that that would happen.

Substract just one stupid war from our modern day survival process,
and as such how many global trillions of hard earned loot and valuable
time would we as an intelligent species be ahead of the game?

If ETs started out just half as bigoted, greedy and arrogant as us
humans, as such they could be thousands of years more advanced than
us, and for way better reasons at that.
-
Brad Guth

Old June 23rd 07, 02:20 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.skeptic,sci.astro,uk.sci.astronomy
Fred J. McCall

"George Dishman" wrote:

:
:"Fred J. McCall" wrote in message
.. .
:..
: : Ian Parker wrote:
:...
: : :We are replacing analogue
: : :television at a rate of knots ...
:...
: What the hell is "a rate of knots"?
:
: Is English not one of your first three languages?
:
:The phrase is actually quite commonly used
:in England, simply meaning very rapidly.
:

Really! Learn something every day; just usually not from Ian.

--George Bernard Shaw
Old June 23rd 07, 02:24 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.skeptic,sci.astro,uk.sci.astronomy
Sylvia Else

BradGuth wrote:
[...]

There's no doubt that we could be more technologically advanced than we
are, but technological advancement is not a measure of intelligence -
intelligence can remain the same even as techology is advancing.

Sylvia.
Old June 23rd 07, 02:26 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.skeptic,sci.astro,uk.sci.astronomy
Scott Hedrick[_2_]

"Chris.B" wrote in message
oups.com...
There's a terrifying lack of intelligence shown in this thread!

Primarily by *anyone* who replies to Brad Guth.

Killfile him. Now.

Old June 23rd 07, 12:38 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.skeptic,sci.astro,uk.sci.astronomy
BradGuth

BradGuth wrote:
[...]

Double duh! What the freaking hell are you saying?

By way of being w/o faith-based wars and thus easily a good thousand
years more advanced and trillions upon trillions of hard earned loot
in the black is in fact extremely intelligent. Obviously there's
nothing on Earth that comes close to being that intelligent, unless
it's of something ET that snuck itself in the back or side door.

I tend to agree that whatever degree of applied technology gets
noticed isn't in of itself a rating of intelligence, because that
technology could have been simply shared or taken from others.
Intelligent ETs do not have to be space traveling village idiots and/
or the sort of dumbfounded morons like us, and they certainly don't
have to have any form of inefficient RF/microwave communications in
order to be extremely intelligent.

Surviving is the ultimate form or interpretation of DNA/RNA
intelligence. Not surviving or otherwise allowing the demise of your
own kind is the exact opposite.

Other than the survival intelligence of DNA/RNA, what forms of other
intelligent life are you speaking about?

There are extremely complex and thus weird if not ET forms of life
existing/coexisting right here on Earth, that hasn't changed or
otherwise evolved for millions of years, that obviously has been more
survival intelligent than us humans that are pretty much doing all
that we can to trash mother Earth as we continually exterminate one
another, as so often being faith-based driven upon greed, arrogance
and butt loads of our bigotry that's more often dumbfounded (aka
cultivated) by the mainstream status quo than not, and it's usually
because of folks exactly like yourself that will not honestly share
anything unless there's something better in doing so for yourself.

Why don't you silly folks tell us whatever your obvious faith-based
idea of intelligence is?

Is having put one of your own kind on a stick being intelligent?

Is having picked the wrong warlord for the third or forth time,
intelligent?

Is the allowing of others to accomplish your dirty work, so that
you'll eventually benefit from the collateral damage and demise of
others, the intelligent thing to be doing?

Is the tactic of topic/author stalking, bashings and/or banishment,
along with excluding whatever evidence rocks your boat your idea of
being intelligent?

I'll offer a list of what's intelligent, and of what's not. How about
yourself?
-
Brad Guth