Astro: NGC 2903

Old December 25th 06, 12:06 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default Astro: NGC 2903

Reordering the hard drive I found a shot from last spring taken with my
6" f/4 before the LX200R was available. It was taken through clouds.
At the time I had no idea how to process it but of late everything I
take is through clouds so I'm getting the hang of it. A bit smaller
scale than the 14" however!

6" f/4, 8x5 minutes, ST-7, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2903_8X5.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	251

Old December 26th 06, 05:01 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

If I can tame the secondary I'm thinking of trying the lens for the STL
cameras with that scope for a wide field set up at budget rates. Should
give over 3 degrees across the long axis. I need to solve the secondary
droop first. After 45 years that I've had the scope (I got it used for
$100 from an ad in the want ad section (long gone) of Sky and
Telescope), the secondary is tired and won't hold collimation from one
side of the sky to the other. You see it in this image.

I now see an asteroid in the image. A quick search shows it to be 438
Zeuxo, named for one of the three thousand daughters of Okeanos (Ocean)
and Tethys. Now that's a neat sounding name for an asteroid! Mag 15.1.
There's a 19th mag one as well, Way beyond that little scope! Zeuxo
was discovered by August Charlois, Nov. 8, 1898.

Rick

Old December 26th 06, 10:35 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

I wonder if these three thousand daughters of Okeanos and Thetys all have
names. If so this would be a nice reservoir for asteroid-names ;-)

Stefan

news

Old December 26th 06, 05:59 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

I have no idea. I found that reference he
http://messagenet.com/myths/ppt/Zeuxo_1.html

It doesn't say any thing more than that. I didn't look further.

Rick

Jon Christensen wrote:

That's a nice galaxy image, Rick.

Jon Christensen

"Rick Johnson" wrote in message

Reordering the hard drive I found a shot from last spring taken with my
6" f/4 before the LX200R was available. It was taken through clouds.
At the time I had no idea how to process it but of late everything I
take is through clouds so I'm getting the hang of it. A bit smaller
scale than the 14" however!

6" f/4, 8x5 minutes, ST-7, Paramount ME

Rick

Correct domain name is arvig and it is net not com. Prefix is
correct. Third character is a zero rather than a capital "Oh".