CM photo ID?

Old April 2nd 05, 06:37 PM
Andrew Gray

Default CM photo ID?

Afternoon all.

I vaguely recognise the background in this photograph - I've probably
seen photographs taken in the same museum before. However, I'm fairly
sure it's not the NASM, and the CM isn't Columbia - can anyone verify
which one it is?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:ApolloCmd.JPG

(labelled as "The Apollo 11 CM, "Columbia", in the National Air & Space
Museum, Washington DC". Unless they've changed the display in the last
couple of years, I have my doubts...)

--
-Andrew Gray

Old April 2nd 05, 07:48 PM
Kim Keller

"Andrew Gray" wrote in message
. ..
Afternoon all.

I vaguely recognise the background in this photograph - I've probably
seen photographs taken in the same museum before. However, I'm fairly
sure it's not the NASM, and the CM isn't Columbia - can anyone verify
which one it is?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:ApolloCmd.JPG

(labelled as "The Apollo 11 CM, "Columbia", in the National Air & Space
Museum, Washington DC". Unless they've changed the display in the last
couple of years, I have my doubts...)

Looks like a boilerplate to me, definitely not a post-reentry appearance to
it. The hardware looks incomplete for a flight model, also. Location looks
like it's in the Dulles annex. There's supposed to be a boilerplate CM out
there that was used for Navy recovery training.

-Kim-

Old April 2nd 05, 08:08 PM
TVDad Jim

Andrew Gray wrote:
Afternoon all.

I vaguely recognise the background in this photograph - I've probably

seen photographs taken in the same museum before. However, I'm fairly

sure it's not the NASM, and the CM isn't Columbia - can anyone verify

which one it is?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:ApolloCmd.JPG

It's a boilerplate at the Dulles Annex.

Here's another view of it:

http://www.thespacereview.com/gallery/4/8

Definitely not Columbia. It's got the hatch still attached, and it's
obviously never entered the atmosphere at 25,000 mph.

Old April 2nd 05, 08:21 PM
Andrew Gray

On 2005-04-02, Kim Keller wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:ApolloCmd.JPG

Looks like a boilerplate to me, definitely not a post-reentry appearance to
it. The hardware looks incomplete for a flight model, also. Location looks
like it's in the Dulles annex. There's supposed to be a boilerplate CM out
there that was used for Navy recovery training.

The Field Guide lists:

Apollo 011 SA-202
Apollo 11 Columbia
Apollo Skylab 4

The latter two were certainly in the main building as of a few years
back. SA-202 was a suborbital test, and it doesn't look like it's
re-entered, as you say. So probably not that, either. (Actually, on
further reading that's an out-of-date summary; it's now on the USS
Hornet museum in California)

The NASM is also listed as having CSM 105AV - used for acoustic tests,
and now in the ASTP display. So not that...

Aha!

http://www.nasm.si.edu/research/dsh/...oilerplate.htm

Apollo Boilerplate 1220/1228

Listed on http://www.nasm.si.edu/museum/udvarh...acts_space.cfm as
"on display". The Field Guide has -1220 as in North Carolina, and 1228
as "reported salvaged"; this looks like it...

Thanks,
--
-Andrew Gray

Old April 3rd 05, 01:04 AM
Rusty

On 2 Apr 2005 17:37:06 GMT, Andrew Gray
wrote:

Afternoon all.

I vaguely recognise the background in this photograph - I've probably
seen photographs taken in the same museum before. However, I'm fairly
sure it's not the NASM, and the CM isn't Columbia - can anyone verify
which one it is?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:ApolloCmd.JPG

(labelled as "The Apollo 11 CM, "Columbia", in the National Air & Space
Museum, Washington DC". Unless they've changed the display in the last
couple of years, I have my doubts...)

The Mercury boilerplate capsule behind the Apollo command module is
the one the rode on the Big Joe Atlas booster flight in September
1959.

http://aesp.nasa.okstate.edu/fieldgu...ry/bigjoe.html

Rusty