GOP Works to Defund Studies So They Can Deny Climate Change

Old May 19th 15, 08:52 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

Default GOP Works to Defund Studies So They Can Deny Climate Change

On Tue, 19 May 2015 12:17:59 -0400, Lord Vath
wrote:

Because they didn't put up a fight and were conquered in the first
weeks of the war.

"Conquered" isn't the right word for the relationship between Germany
and Denmark for most of WW2, perhaps not for any of WW2.
Old May 19th 15, 10:13 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Uncarollo2

On Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 2:27:42 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 3:18:23 PM UTC-4, Uncarollo2 wrote:
On Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 2:05:05 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 10:38:48 AM UTC-4, Chris L Peterson wrote:
On Tue, 19 May 2015 07:09:04 -0700 (PDT), wsnell01 wrote:

Most of the world doesn't even have good communications, and press censorship is quite common. They know little, as do you.

Most of the world has better communications now than the U.S.

Incorrect, peterson.

We're Number One has become Were Number One.

Given the sheer size and diversity of the US, we're still number one, wrt communications.

To suggest that "most of the world has better communications now than the US" is the height of idiocy, but exactly the sort of tripe we have come to expect from the likes of you and peterson.

Ra-ra-rah Sis-boom-bah

The idiot is you. Look in the mirror sometime, he'll be frowning back atcha.
Old May 19th 15, 10:35 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 3:55:25 PM UTC-4, Chris L Peterson wrote:
On Tue, 19 May 2015 12:05:03 -0700 (PDT), wsnell01 wrote:

On Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 10:38:48 AM UTC-4, Chris L Peterson wrote:
On Tue, 19 May 2015 07:09:04 -0700 (PDT), wsnell01 wrote:

Most of the world doesn't even have good communications, and press censorship is quite common. They know little, as do you.

Most of the world has better communications now than the U.S.

Incorrect, peterson.

I can drive all over Europe and have constant access to modern
communications. I can move around in rural India, in northern Africa,
in rural Peru, and never lose contact.

You are comparing apples with oranges. The US is one of the least densely populated places in the world, yet with a very large population to serve.

In the U.S., I'm regularly unable to use modern communication tools,
just driving around moderately populated areas.

If you look at a coverage map, you will note coverage in the US is better in populated AND unpopulated areas than in similar areas in Europe. India has coverage along roads and in large cities, but not so good in remote areas.

Our communication system is not very good, and in comparison to the
rest of the world is getting worse all the time- even in comparison to
very undeveloped parts of the world. Mainly because it is overly
privatized and underregulated.

That just means that resources are allocated properly. If you dislike the cell service where you live, move.

Cell phones are just one area to consider. The US has more TV and radio stations and receivers, for example. Our press is more free than anywhere else. The rest of the world has a rather distorted/biased view of the the US, just as you do.

Old May 19th 15, 10:42 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 5:13:50 PM UTC-4, Uncarollo2 wrote:
[...]

You obviously have a poor attitude and are not a true American.

The idiot is you. Look in the mirror sometime, he'll be frowning back atcha.

Do you not understand what "most of the world" means, idiot. It doesn't JUST mean small, densely populated countries in Europe or densely populated cities in Asia. It means the world, considered as a whole.

After fleeing the mess your naive family allowed to develop in Europe in the '30s, you should have returned there once the US came in and cleaned up the mess for you. Now you are messing up the US, dude.
Old May 19th 15, 10:48 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Tue, 19 May 2015 14:35:06 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I can drive all over Europe and have constant access to modern
communications. I can move around in rural India, in northern Africa,
in rural Peru, and never lose contact.

You are comparing apples with oranges. The US is one of the least densely populated places in the world, yet with a very large population to serve.

The comparison is fair. The U.S. has a mish-mash of competing,
mutually incompatible systems which are selectively deployed in high
density population areas. Most of the rest of the world has not
allowed that. Has not privatized spectrum. Has not allowed cherry
picking. Has properly treated the infrastructure as a public utility.
And they still have thriving private telecommunications industries.
And people have inexpensive access no matter where they are.

In the U.S., I'm regularly unable to use modern communication tools,
just driving around moderately populated areas.

If you look at a coverage map, you will note coverage in the US is better in populated AND unpopulated areas than in similar areas in Europe. India has coverage along roads and in large cities, but not so good in remote areas.

I've been all over India. Even in the mountains, in the jungle, I have
coverage. I've never lost a connection in Europe, even in rural
mountains. Coverage in Europe is essentially 100%. Coverage in India
is better than in the U.S. Considerably better. All the more so
because it doesn't depend on the company you buy service from.

Our communication system is not very good, and in comparison to the
rest of the world is getting worse all the time- even in comparison to
very undeveloped parts of the world. Mainly because it is overly
privatized and underregulated.

That just means that resources are allocated properly. If you dislike the cell service where you live, move.

Or, I can advocate for public ownership of spectrum and a mandate that
providers cover all areas. Like the phone system was structured. And
I'm not just talking about phones here.
Old May 19th 15, 11:48 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_3_]

On Tue, 19 May 2015 13:55:22 -0600, Chris L Peterson
wrote:
I can drive all over Europe and have constant access to modern
communications.

No you can't. ?n some areas there are no roads and it is illegal to
drive in the terrain. ?n other areas the roads are shut off for the
public. ?n still other areas you can and are allowed to drive but you
cannot get any connection with your cell phone.

Perhaps it's worse in the US, but you are overly optimistic if you
believe that cell phones work everywhere in Europe. They don't.
Old May 19th 15, 11:52 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_3_]

On Tue, 19 May 2015 15:48:53 -0600, Chris L Peterson
wrote:
I've been all over India. Even in the mountains, in the jungle, I

have
coverage. I've never lost a connection in Europe, even in rural
mountains.

On mountains you have good connection because you're high up. But in
rural valleys it can be hard to get a connection. And in wilderness
areas you May hile for many days without getting a cell phone
connection. I have done that.
Old May 19th 15, 11:56 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Uncarollo2

On Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 4:42:21 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

It's people like you that are messing up America by not being able to converse in reasonable discourse, calling people idiots. I don't think you really know doodlysquat about anything, just like to hear yourself argue and complain.

Old May 20th 15, 12:17 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Bert[_3_]

In Uncarollo2
wrote:

Last week, the House Science, Space, and Technology Committee, headed
by Rep. Lamar Smith (R-Texas), approved a bill that would slash at
least $300 million from NASA's Earth-science budget.

Having the government funding, sponsoring or performing any sort of
research is going to make many people distrust or completely reject any
of the results.

Corrupt politicians are not the people you want to be cooperating with.

--
St. Paul, MN