SpaceX moon flight

Old September 14th 18, 05:30 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Alain Fournier[_3_]

Default SpaceX moon flight

News conference on Monday will give more details.

Alain Fournier
Old September 14th 18, 05:48 PM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

On Friday, September 14, 2018 at 9:30:58 AM UTC-7, Alain Fournier wrote:
News conference on Monday will give more details.

Alain Fournier

SpaceX says its BFR will fly someone around the Moon; we have questions:

"On Thursday evening, without any advance notice, SpaceX tweeted that is had
signed the world’s "first private passenger to fly around the Moon aboard our
BFR launch vehicle." Moreover, the company promised to reveal "who's flying and
why" on Monday, September 17. The announcement will take place at the company's
headquarters in Hawthorne, Calif.

There were only two other clues—tweets from Elon Musk himself. Was the rendering
of the Big Falcon Spaceship in SpaceX's tweet new? Yes, Musk said. And was he
the passenger? In response to this, the founder of SpaceX simply tweeted a
Japanese flag emoji. This would seem to be a strong clue that the passenger is
from Japan. Or maybe Musk was enjoying the epic Seven Samurai movie at that
moment.

By announcing this on Thursday, and waiting four days to provide more details,
the company has set off a big guessing game as to who will fly. Of course that
is an interesting question, but we have many other questions that we'd like to
see answered before that. We've included some of those questions below, along
with some wild and (slightly) informed guesses. Musk even answered one of them
for us."

See:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018...ave-questions/
Old September 15th 18, 05:18 AM posted to sci.space.policy
William Elliot[_4_]

News conference on Monday will give more details.

A trip to the moon on gossamer wings?
Old September 18th 18, 02:48 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Alain Fournier[_3_]

Le sept./15/2018 Ã* 00:18, William Elliot a écritÂ*:
News conference on Monday will give more details.

A trip to the moon on gossamer wings?

The customer is Yusaku Maezawa, a 42-year-old Japanese billionaire.

An interesting point mentioned at the news conference is that they are
already bending metal for BFR. Musk said the first cylinder section of
the BFR has already been built.

Alain Fournier

Old September 18th 18, 06:26 AM posted to sci.space.policy
William Elliot[_4_]

On Fri, 14 Sep 2018, wrote:

SpaceX says its BFR will fly someone around the Moon; we have
questions:

BFR? Bare Foot Rocket?

Old September 18th 18, 07:20 AM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

On Tuesday, September 18, 2018 at 7:26:15 AM UTC+2, William Elliot wrote:

BFR? Bare Foot Rocket?

Without visiting the SpaceX website, and drawing on my more juvenile side, I rather suspect the acronym is more in line with the BFG from the original Doom computer game. And no it wasn't a Big Friendly Giant, or a Big Friendly Gun.

Take care
regards
Frank
Old September 18th 18, 09:10 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Niklas Holsti

On 18-09-18 04:48 , Alain Fournier wrote:
An interesting point mentioned at the news conference is that they are
already bending metal for BFR. Musk said the first cylinder section of
the BFR has already been built.

For BFR it's bending carbon fiber, not metal ... :-)

--
Niklas Holsti
Tidorum Ltd
Old September 18th 18, 10:48 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

In article ,
says...

On Tuesday, September 18, 2018 at 7:26:15 AM UTC+2, William Elliot wrote:

BFR? Bare Foot Rocket?

Without visiting the SpaceX website, and drawing on my more juvenile
side, I rather suspect the acronym is more in line with the BFG from
the original Doom computer game. And no it wasn't a Big Friendly
Giant, or a Big Friendly Gun.

This is absolutely the case. They've changed it to Big Falcon Rocket
and Big Falcon Spaceship, for obvious reasons.

It's been shrinking a bit though. As announced last night, starting out
with identical engines in BFR and BFS hurts performance of BFS a bit.
But, it's a reasonable simplification to allow BFS to test fly without
BFR. And it will provide a minimum path to a viable vehicle. Musk did
say that later some of the BFS engines could be swapped to a vacuum
version for more performance.

Sounds a lot like they're aiming for a BFR/BFS 1.0 that's as simple as
possible to get it flying as soon as possible.

Still, Musk says it might cost anywhere between $2 and $10 billion to
develop (he initially said $5 billion when asked how much it would cost
to develop). Sounds about right.

Jeff