Space Access '10 Final Pre-conference Update 4/5/10

Old April 6th 10, 04:15 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Space Access[_2_]

Default Space Access '10 Final Pre-conference Update 4/5/10

SA'10 Conference Info, 04/05/10 - Final Pre-Conference Update

Space Access '10 starts in just three days. If you haven't already, book your rooms now - there are rooms still available, but our conference hotel is filling up fast. (If you've booked a room but can't make it, be sure to call in and cancel at least 24 hours in advance, lest you be charged for the first night anyway.) Call the Grace Inn at 800 843-6010 and ask for the "space access conference rate" for our $99-per-day-including-taxes-and-full-breakfast discount room rate. The weather report for our dates is clear and dry, eighties days, fifties nights, so treat yourself to a three-day look at the future under the Arizona sun. Our discount room rate will remain available through the conference - if rooms are available. Reserve now and be sure!

SA'10, our upcoming annual conference on the technology, politics, and business of radically cheaper access to space, featuring a cross-section of leading players in the field, will once again be the place to hear the latest on this fast-moving entrepreneurial new-space industry. Space Access conferences are designed to let people who are serious about low-cost space transportation get together, trade information, make deals, and learn useful things. Casual style and no rubber-chicken banquets, just an intensive single-track presentations schedule with relaxed on-your-own meal breaks, in a setting with plenty of comfortable places in the hotel and nearby to go off and talk.

The agenda is pretty much complete now, subject to last-second fixes. Speakers, if we've scheduled you before you arrive or after you leave, or otherwise at an impossible time, let us know ASAP so we can fix it, via . Everybody, check for any further changes in the printed program once you arrive.

If you're speaking, please note the length of your timeslot, and prepare accordingly - we recommend you aim your presentation at taking roughly 3/4ths of your alloted time, to allow a few minutes for audience Q&A. We prefer that you bring your presentation on a laptop tested and ready to attach to our projector and sound system (we'll have standard SVGA and headphone connectors plus a power outlet at the podium) so you can just plug in, switch your video over to external, and get started. (If that's not possible, let us know well before your talk and we'll try to set you up with a loaner machine you can load and test your presentation on ahead of time.) (We'll also have a DVD player and an overhead projector. Anyone needing other presentation support should contact us and let us know ASAP.) We have a very full agenda running well into the evenings, and we really do need to keep the program running on schedule. Your help in making the transitions at the start and end of your
talk as quick and clean as possible will be greatly appreciated.

SA'10 Program Schedule:

Thursday 4/8/10

1:30 pm Henry Vanderbilt, Space Access Society, with Announcements and A Quick Welcome

1:35 pm Henry Spencer, on Affordable Spaceflight Beyond LEO: Alternate Approaches, Paths Not Taken

2:50 pm George Herbert, on "Project 248" - 2 people, 4 days, 800 kg: Minimal Crew Capsule For A Ton-Class Launcher

3:20 pm break

3:50 pm Commercial RLV Technology Roadmap/Dan Rasky, NASA Ames

4:30 pm Armadillo Aerospace/John Carmack

5:20 pm Centennial Challenges/Andrew Petro, NASA HQ

6 pm dinner break

8 pm Alan Ladwig/NASA HQ, on A New Space Enterprise

8:40 pm United Launch Alliance/Jeff Patton, on ULA's Support for NASA's Commercial Crew Development Program

9:20 pm Panel: High-Payoff LEO & Deep Space Transportation Technologies - Jeff Greason, Jon Goff, Jordin Kare, Henry Spencer, Rand Simberg

10 pm Space Studies Institute/Lee Valentine

10:10 pm Future of Flight Innovation Center/Barry Smith

10:20 pm Heron Aerospace/E.Parker Bradley

10:30 pm end of Thursday sessions

Friday 4/9/10

9 am Charles Miller, Senior Advisor for Commercial Space, NASA HQ, on An NACA Approach To Low Cost Reliable Access To Space

9:40 am DC-X, High-Alpha and the Continued Quest for the VTVL Spaceplane/Bill Gaubatz, Layne Cook

10:30 am break

11 am XCOR Aerospace/Jeff Greason

11:50 am Paragon Space Development/Jane Poynter

12:20 pm Space Frontier Foundation/Ryan McLinko

12:30 pm lunch break

2 pm CRuSR (Commercial Reusable Suborbital Research)/Douglas Maclise, NASA

2:40 pm Panel: Propellant Depots: "Impedance Matching" Between LEO Launch And Deep-Space Missions - Dallas Bienhoff, Jon Goff, Bernard Kutter, Rand Simberg

3:30 pm break

4 pm Lasermotive/Jordin Kare

4:40 pm FAA AST/Michelle Murray

5:20 pm SpaceWorks Commercial/A.C. Charania

5:50 pm Tethers Unlimited/Gerald Nordley

6 pm dinner break

8 pm Gary Hudson, on The Past Forty Years In The Commercial Space Business And A View Of Its Future

9 pm Dynetics/Tim Pickens

9:20 pm Panel: World Space Programs & Projects - Clark Lindsay, Doug Messier, Dave Salt, Henry Spencer

10 pm Misuzu Onuki, on Japanese Space Venture Developments

10:20 pm Space Diver/Rick Tumlinson

10:30 pm end of Friday sessions

Saturday 4/10/10

9 am Leik Myrabo, on The RPI Laser Propulsion Laboratory/International Collaboration On Hypersonic BEP With Brazil/LTI Work With Umea Institute of Design On 2-5 Passenger Lightcraft Design

9:50 am Henry Spencer, on Realities Of Nanosat Launch: What Nanosats Are And What They Want From Launchers

10:20 am break

10:50 am Masten Space/Dave Masten

11:40 am Flometrics/Steve Harrington

12:10 am Stratofox/Ian Kluft

12:20 am TBA/Michael Laine

12:30 am lunch break

2 pm Unreasonable Rocket/Paul Breed

2:30 pm Copenhagen Suborbitals/Frank Smith

2:50 pm Frontier Astronautics/Tim Bendel, Michael Carden

3:20 pm SpeedUp/Bob Steinke

3:30 pm break

4 pm Rocketplane Global/Chuck Lauer

4:30 pm Tim Pickens, on Orion Propulsion: The 5-Year Journey

4:50 pm Panel: Newspace Startup Finance - Stephen Fleming, Eva-Jane Lark, Joe Pistritto

5:30 pm Panel: Politics of the New NASA Policies - Jeff Foust, Michael Heney, Jim Muncy, Henry Vanderbilt, TBA

6:10 pm dinner & rocket-margarita break, AKA formal conference ends

Overall Conference Schedule:
- Thursday April 8th, sessions 1:30 pm - ~10:30 pm
- Friday April 9th, sessions 9 am - ~10:30 pm
- Saturday April 10th, sessions 9 am - ~ 6 pm
- Space Access Hospitality Suite open till late all three nights.

SA'10 takes place at the Best Western Grace Inn at 10831 South 51st St in Phoenix Arizona, ten miles from the Phoenix Airport via free hotel shuttle, in a pleasant suburban neighborhood with a variety of shopping and dining a short walk away, with free parking. If you're driving, take Interstate 10 to exit 157 (Elliot Rd, about twelve miles east of downtown Phoenix), then turn west on Elliot off the exit ramp (a right turn if you're coming from Phoenix), then turn left onto 51st st (the first light west of the freeway), then turn left again immediately after the corner gas station into the hotel driveway.

Our rates are the same as last year, both for SA'10 conference registration ($100 by check mailed in advance, $120 check cash or credit card at the door, student rate $30 either way, day rates at the door) and hotel rooms ($99 a night for 1 or 2 - this rate includes all room taxes and full American hot buffet breakfast).

For hotel room reservations, phone the Grace Inn at 800 843-6010. Ask for the "space access conference rate" for our $99-inclusive discount room rate. (If you're attending, this rate is good for three days before and after the conference too, if you want to catch some extra Arizona springtime sun.)

NOTE that if you haven't already mailed off a preregistration, it's probably too late. Preregistrations have to be at our mailbox by Wednesday afternoon at the latest, and the cost to reliably get paper mail there ontime at this point is about the same as the preregistration discount. You might as well just give the extra twenty bucks to a better cause, and register at the door.

See you at the conference!

http://www.space-access.org