Open Cluster NGC 609

Old January 7th 16, 08:15 AM
WA0CKY WA0CKY is offline
Senior Member

Default Open Cluster NGC 609

NGC 609 is a type II3r open cluster in Cassiopeia about 13,000 light-years distant according to WEBDA. They put its age at about 1.7 billion years making it a rather old cluster and thus explaining its lack of bright blue stars which have long since died. It shows only about 0.35 magnitudes of reddening not enough to redden it to any appreciable degree. Thus its age is the main reason for its unusually red color. It also apparently has a rather high mass to have held together for so long.

Being that we are looking through the galaxies plane and thus its disk its no wonder the field lacks any galaxies. NED lists only two in my field, both very faint that appear nearly the same as a faint star. No redshift data is available for either so I didn't prepare an annotated image.

The cluster was discovered by Heinrich d'Arrest on August 9, 1863. As it is a rather obvious cluster I find it rather odd that it wasn't discovered earlier. Though it is very faint and likely almost unresolved in the telescopes of the day. It certainly isn't as easy a visual object as my image would make it appear.

Many atlases give a position a minute or sometimes more east of the cluster's center including the NGC itself and WEBDA.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC609L4X10RGB2X10.JPG
Views:	374
Size:	657.8 KB
ID:	6047  Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC609L4X10RGB2X10-67.JPG
Views:	242
Size:	420.1 KB
ID:	6048

M29 - Open Cluster in Cygnus ukastronomy UK Astronomy 0 April 16th 08 02:26 PM
The Sun, in an Open Cluster Jeremiah J. Burton Amateur Astronomy 30 May 24th 04 11:31 PM
M67 Open Cluster Dennis Persyk Misc 1 May 1st 04 12:06 PM
M67 Open Cluster Dennis Persyk CCD Imaging 0 April 30th 04 10:32 PM
NGC1647 Open cluster - Help in field testing a draft cluster magnitude chart PrisNo6 Amateur Astronomy 21 March 22nd 04 02:15 AM