Excellent descriptions and observations by shuttle pilot on reentry appearance, dangers

Old August 7th 05, 08:45 PM
Jim Oberg

Default Excellent descriptions and observations by shuttle pilot on reentry appearance, dangers

Excellent descriptions and observations by shuttle pilot on reentry
appearance, dangers

August 7, 2005 at 7:57 AM // Discovery's risky return

Sharon Schmickle, Minneapolis Star Tribune

Even if all goes well, the seven astronauts aboard the space shuttle
Discovery are in for a chaotic ride through a spectacular flip turn, searing
heat, bizarre atmospheric light and a violent exchange of energy as they
return to Earth on Monday.

Old August 7th 05, 09:17 PM
Tim K.

"Jim Oberg" wrote in message

Even if all goes well,

Get the feeling those media oiks want a disaster?

Old August 7th 05, 10:37 PM
Mike Dennis

For the first time today I heard a NASA techie mention that the noise inside
the cabin is quite loud during reentry. I don't recall anyone pointing that
out before, but maybe I just missed it.

_________

Old August 7th 05, 10:49 PM
Lynndel K. Humphreys

Sounds to me they have disco fever

Old August 7th 05, 11:02 PM
Donald Ferree

In article , Jim Oberg wrote:

Excellent descriptions and observations by shuttle pilot on reentry
appearance, dangers

August 7, 2005 at 7:57 AM // Discovery's risky return

Sharon Schmickle, Minneapolis Star Tribune

This time, Carey and most other experts assumed the problem that doomed
Columbia had been solved, too. But foam broke away from Discovery's external
fuel tank after liftoff on July 26 and damaged the orbiter. "I was sick to my
stomach," Carey said. "We thought we understood the problem, and we thought
we had fixed it." Carey was reassured, he said, when the Discovery's astronauts
repaired some damage caused by breakaway foam this past week.

What foam impact damage happened and was repaired? The protuding gap fillers
were not caused by foam impact.

Otherwise a very interesting article.

Don Ferree
Old August 7th 05, 11:58 PM
Jochem Huhmann

"Jim Oberg" writes:

Even if all goes well, the seven astronauts aboard the space shuttle
Discovery are in for a chaotic ride through a spectacular flip turn,
searing heat, bizarre atmospheric light and a violent exchange of
energy as they return to Earth on Monday.

You should really have related that phase of the mission to the first
mission flown by John Young. *That* was chaotic. Chaotic to the point
where he had to fly that lemon down through re-entry *by hand*, because
the automatic system wouldn't cut it. Shame on you that you didn't even
name him in your article. Really. I've come to expect more from you,
Jim. Nice article otherwise, but still.

Jochem

--
"A designer knows he has arrived at perfection not when there is no
longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away."
Old August 8th 05, 12:06 AM
Jorge R. Frank

Jochem Huhmann wrote in
:

"Jim Oberg" writes:

Even if all goes well, the seven astronauts aboard the space shuttle
Discovery are in for a chaotic ride through a spectacular flip turn,
searing heat, bizarre atmospheric light and a violent exchange of
energy as they return to Earth on Monday.

You should really have related that phase of the mission to the first
mission flown by John Young. *That* was chaotic. Chaotic to the point
where he had to fly that lemon down through re-entry *by hand*, because
the automatic system wouldn't cut it. Shame on you that you didn't even
name him in your article. Really. I've come to expect more from you,
Jim. Nice article otherwise, but still.

Um, Jim didn't write that article. Check the byline again - it's by Sharon
Schmickle, Minneapolis Star Tribune.

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.
Old August 8th 05, 12:27 AM
Jochem Huhmann

"Jorge R. Frank" writes:
Um, Jim didn't write that article. Check the byline again - it's by Sharon
Schmickle, Minneapolis Star Tribune.

Ahh, sorry. Still, the point remains.

Hmm, I'm that used to see Jim post URL's of his articles that I don't
even look at the byline. Should do that unconditionally in the future.
Thanks for the correction, Jorge.

Jochem

Old August 8th 05, 12:57 AM
Steve W.

"Jim Oberg" wrote in message
Excellent descriptions and observations by shuttle pilot on reentry
appearance, dangers

August 7, 2005 at 7:57 AM // Discovery's risky return

Sharon Schmickle, Minneapolis Star Tribune

Even if all goes well, the seven astronauts aboard the space

shuttle
Discovery are in for a chaotic ride through a spectacular flip turn,

searing
heat, bizarre atmospheric light and a violent exchange of energy as

they
return to Earth on Monday.

Reads like the EX astronaut deserved to be retired. Yes it is dangerous
to land in the shuttle, Yes it can kill you.
Want an even deadlier ride. Try night time carrier landings on a dark
ship in a rough sea during wartime. Those guys do it all the time and
you don't see them getting all this press. Just press from the failed
landings.
The press is a JOKE. They are more like vultures than anything else. I
love the axiom they use that "Dirt/Violence sells" maybe if they put
some positive news in there once in a while they would find out that
they gain audience. Instead you hear these "Journalists" talking about
"Even IF things go right", or "Carey was reassured, he said, when the
Discovery's astronauts repaired some damage caused by breakaway foam
this past week." Which is something they DIDN'T do. They removed some
LOOSE gap fillers. The rest of the items were looked at with more
scrutiny than a picture of Pam Anderson in prison., and they declared it
safe because the science said so.

Reminds me of the actors/actresses who claim to be authorities on health
and welfare issues when more than half of them are high school dropouts
who have to study just to read a script that is in front of them.

Steve W.

Old August 9th 05, 04:16 AM
Reunite Gondwanaland (Mary Shafer)

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 00:58:44 +0200, Jochem Huhmann
wrote:

You should really have related that phase of the mission to the first
mission flown by John Young. *That* was chaotic. Chaotic to the point
where he had to fly that lemon down through re-entry *by hand*, because
the automatic system wouldn't cut it. Shame on you that you didn't even
name him in your article. Really. I've come to expect more from you,
Jim. Nice article otherwise, but still.

It's wasn't the automatic system's fault, it was the mis-prediction of
the yaw-jet effectiveness coefficients. The FCS did remarkably well
considering, since it managed to keep sideslip low enough that there
was no burn-though from the stagnation point going off the nose cap.

Mary

We didn't just do weird stuff at Dryden, we wrote reports about it.
or