Barbara Morgan: longest wait ever??

Old May 22nd 04, 08:06 AM
Derek Lyons

Mary Shafer wrote:
`I (name), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support
and defend the Constitution of the United States against all
enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith
and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely,
without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that
I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office
on which I am about to enter. So help me God.'

Everyone but the president has to take this oath to be in the civil or
military service.

The military version IIRC is a bit different as it includes a line or
two about obeying officers. A bit of googling yields;

I, ________________________________, do solemnly swear (or affirm)
that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States
against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith
and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the
President of the United States and the orders of the officers
appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of
Military Justice. So help me God.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.
Old May 22nd 04, 02:28 PM
Neil Gerace

"Doug..." wrote in message
Well, by that logic you ought to exclude Tony England from the list of
those who had to wait 15-plus years for their first flights, since Tony
resigned from NASA in 1972, worked for the USGS for seven years, and
returned to NASA in 1979. At that point, he then waited for six years
for his first flight in 1985.

Also Deke was unfit for flight for most of those 16 years.

Old May 22nd 04, 05:01 PM
Allen Thomson

The last time I swore it was in about 1978, when everyone had to

Everyone but the president has to take this oath to be in the civil or
military service.

That may be it: my agency wasn't under civil service, though our
personnel system was mostly paterned after it (GS grades, same
pay scale, etc.) My EOD date was 25 September 1972 and I quit
to become a better-paid beltway bandit on, lessee, it must have
been on either 2 or 9 August 1985. At no time did I or any one
I knew of have to take an oath like you describe. It would be
interesting to find out if there was some positive reason for
the oathlessness, or if it was just historical happenstance.
Old May 22nd 04, 08:00 PM
Henry Spencer

Neil Gerace wrote:
Also Deke was unfit for flight for most of those 16 years.

In the opinion of some cautious doctors. This was by no means a clear-cut
self-evident fact. The problem didn't develop suddenly; he'd had it a
long time and it had never interfered with his career as a test pilot.
That's a big part of what made his grounding such a sore point for many
people, including him -- it wasn't at all clear that it was justified.
--
MOST launched 30 June; science observations running | Henry Spencer
since Oct; first surprises seen; papers pending. |
Old May 22nd 04, 08:19 PM
MasterShrink

"Doug..." wrote in message
Well, by that logic you ought to exclude Tony England from the list of
those who had to wait 15-plus years for their first flights, since Tony
resigned from NASA in 1972, worked for the USGS for seven years, and
returned to NASA in 1979. At that point, he then waited for six years
for his first flight in 1985.

Also Deke was unfit for flight for most of those 16 years.

But he was at NASA those 16 years because he was waiting for a flight. He (and
a lot of other people) were convinced it was a matter of time before the next
physical, or the one the year after, or two years later okayed him for space.

Also, despite the fact he was grounded the payroll still listed him as a NASA
Astronaut.

-A.L.