Backwards orbiting planet found

Old June 10th 11, 07:16 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Brad Guth[_3_]

Default Backwards orbiting planet found

On Jun 8, 6:04*pm, "Val Kraut" wrote:
"Pat Flannery" wrote in message

dakotatelephone...

Star rotates one way, it orbits around it the other way:
http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-06-planet-wrong.html

Pat

There has been at least one recent article on Jupiter size wandering planets
being not that rare. Given that premise a star could capture an additional
planet that would be in retrograde. I would imagine the new planet could
also be way out of plane with the rest of the system. Copernicus and Kepler
on a really complicated system with multiple planes for the planets would
really have a good time. Might also make for some really interesting
asteroid groupings ala a three dimensional perturbation model.

* * Val Kraut

Sure thing about capturing and weird asteroid trajectories, though
somewhat unlikely but certainly not impossible, and not that something
better than 1e12 wandering/rogue items are in any short supply. Make
that 1e13 if we're including everything of Ceres or larger because
stars tend to poop out and lose track or whatever tidal grip of their
planets.

Supposedly our sun is a 3rd or 4th generation star, whereas the
generation before had lost it's collection of planets.

http://www.wanttoknow.info/
http://translate.google.com/#
Old June 23rd 11, 06:35 PM posted to sci.space.history
Paul Madarasz[_2_]

On Wed, 8 Jun 2011 17:15:38 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote, perhaps among other things:

On Jun 8, 6:42*pm, Pat Flannery wrote:
Star rotates one way, it orbits around it the other way:http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-06-planet-wrong.html

Pat

Um, Pat, the preferred term is "retrograde".

Ok, Kids, today's New Word (TM) is 'retrograde'. Can Everyone say it?
Let's try: Ret-ro-grade. Very good, I knew you could! Now, let's play
a game. Go to Mommy & Daddy's room and mail all the pieces of paper
with pictures of dead presidents to: Uncle CFL, care of your local
usenet newsgroup!

Dear Uncle CFL,

I'm sorry, but all that my parents have are pictures of Benjamin
Franklin. I learned that he wasn't a president, so I took them all
out to the back yard and burned them. Aren't you proud of me?
--
"Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell."
-- Ed Abbey