Please critique 5th Grade Lecture "Where Are We?"

Old June 8th 06, 12:59 AM posted to alt.astronomy.solar

Default Please critique 5th Grade Lecture "Where Are We?"

Note to the NG: This lecture is prepared for a 5th grade class and will precede
an outdoor scale modeling and measuring of sun and earth and their distances
using
a 10 inch and 30 inch sphers.

I would like any helpful critique for facts or other helpful ideas to aid in
communicating the answer to where we are.

Where Are We?

When we think of where we are we often use the name of the room, or city, state,
country.

These are physical places that are also, somewhere. The room could be in our
homes or at school or a business, the city is Los Angeles and eventually we can
say that we are on the planet earth.

That's were we are, right? But why stop there, we can clearly see during the
day the moon and our local star the Sun. Stop there right? What else is there?
After all at night it's completely dark except for the moonlight, right? And the
moonlight is just the sun's reflection off the moon.

Oh, there are stars, so we're right here in the middle of all these stars, OK,
so we're floating in space in a sea of stars, here a star there a star. Well we
couldn't very well say "where" we are, after all there's no up down, left or
right. So, I suppose we are as they say, "Where ever you go, there you are!"

But, when we look at some of those stars we, see that some are clusters of
stars, with billions of stars in the cluster, spread out like a spiral, and when
we look up at our night sky we see a large broad stripe of stars across the
night sky, what's with that?

Well, what astronomers know is that that stripe we call the Milky Way is
actually part of a large cluster of stars called a galaxy. Our universe is
located in a Galaxy, but wait where in that galaxy?

Are we in the center? Oh, no it's much too chaotic there, besides at the center
is most likely a black hole and we really don't want to be too close to that.

Astronomers also know that most galaxies are often shaped like a spiral, similar
to a pin-wheel and that we are located near the end of one of the arms.

When we look up at the night sky we are looking into one of the pin-wheel's
arms.

Unfortunately we'll have to stop there, at least until we figure out "where we
really are".

TIA

JeffP....

Old June 8th 06, 05:40 AM posted to alt.astronomy.solar

JeffP wrote:
[...]

Minor point, Jeff, if we can see the moon during the day, how do we have
moon light at night? Para 3.

Minor point, Jeff, but our Galaxy is located in a Universe, not the
other way around.

THEN, after explaining how our Galaxy is shaped, explain that some of
the "Stars" that we see at night are really just other Galaxies - really
far away.

Do the kids know what a "black hole" is?

HTH

Daniel

Old June 8th 06, 06:31 AM posted to alt.astronomy.solar

Daniel.... see my inline...

"Daniel" wrote in message
.. .
JeffP wrote:
[...]

Yes Daniel, perhaps I should re-word that stmt. My point was to be sarcastic
that it isn't
"completely" dark at night, I would hope that at least one child will say, "the
moon isn't the
only thing, there are stars!"

Minor point, Jeff, but our Galaxy is located in a Universe, not the
other way around.

Yes, "our solar" system is w/in the Galaxy, that is w/in the greater universe.

THEN, after explaining how our Galaxy is shaped, explain that some of
the "Stars" that we see at night are really just other Galaxies - really
far away.

Yes, good point, I tried to make that point but I should remind them again.

Do the kids know what a "black hole" is?

I'm not sure that anyone really knows for sure what a black hole "really is" but
would hope that through our pop culture, they know at a minimum that it's a big
suck-em up.

If anything were to fit the description, black magic, it would be a black hole.

Thanks Danaiel.

HTH

Daniel

Old June 8th 06, 10:08 AM posted to alt.astronomy.solar

JeffP wrote:
Daniel.... see my inline...

"Daniel" wrote in message
.. .
JeffP wrote:
[...]

Are you trying to be sarcastic or are you trying to be educative?

that it isn't
"completely" dark at night, I would hope that at least one child will say, "the
moon isn't the
only thing, there are stars!"

Minor point, Jeff, but our Galaxy is located in a Universe, not the
other way around.

Yes, "our solar" system is w/in the Galaxy, that is w/in the greater universe.

but in your lesson, above, you say quote "Our universe is
located in a Galaxy" end quote. No mention of "our solar".

THEN, after explaining how our Galaxy is shaped, explain that some of
the "Stars" that we see at night are really just other Galaxies - really
far away.

Yes, good point, I tried to make that point but I should remind them again.
Do the kids know what a "black hole" is?

I'm not sure that anyone really knows for sure what a black hole "really is" but
would hope that through our pop culture, they know at a minimum that it's a big
suck-em up.

Which Astro-physicists have you been listening too? Others would have
different explanations for "Black-Holes", i.e. sucked in at one
location, spat out at another.
..
If anything were to fit the description, black magic, it would be a black hole.

Thanks Danaiel.

HTH

Daniel

Do you know why our system is called the Solar System? and, therefore
that it's the only solar system?

Daniel

(As an added bonus, Jeff, can you see the short length lines that are
starting to appear in these messages. If I were to have a guess, it
would be that you use Outlook Express and that you need to checkout a
program called "OEQuoteFix")