Barbara Morgan: longest wait ever??

Old May 26th 04, 12:30 AM
Henry Spencer

MasterShrink wrote:
I would like more ifo on just what occured...

There isn't much to know. He broke the chain of command on various occasions.
Young's tendancy to release memos detailing his concerns to whomever was noted
in "Deke!", Slayton mentions how they were a frustration during preperation for
STS 1 more because they failed to follow any chain of command...

I'm told that what *really* got people ticked off at him in the wake of
Challenger was that some of the things he was complaining about were *his*
fault. The lack of astronaut involvement in decisions, in particular, was
because Young himself had never made it a priority: astronauts are busy
people, and they want to fly and hence want to impress the boss (the
process of crew selection is mysterious, arbitrary, and clearly heavily
influenced by office politics), so things that the boss seems to think are
important tend to crowd everything else off their schedules. Young's
predecessor wanted astronaut involvement and got it; Young didn't seem to
care about it, so people stopped naming astronauts to committees etc.
because they never showed up for them anyway.

A contributing issue was that there was considerable feeling that in the
wake of Challenger, it was time for some management turnover regardless of
blame -- that new management could make changes more easily because their
reputations weren't tied up with old policies, and that the workers would
be more confident under people who weren't associated with the disaster.
So some very senior people wanted Young to step aside as boss astronaut,
and weren't in a mood to be patient with his foibles any more.
--
MOST launched 30 June; science observations running | Henry Spencer
since Oct; first surprises seen; papers pending. |
Old May 26th 04, 12:58 AM
OM

On 25 May 2004 23:02:57 GMT, Andrew Gray
wrote:

http://spaceflightnow.com/shuttle/st...t/lindaham.jpg is the
famously terrible Vacant Blonde Bimbo picture, though as I've commented
befo

....Yeah, but there's the one where she looks just like a deer caught
in the headlights and is really about to get hit by that 18-wheeler
she's staring at.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old May 26th 04, 04:30 AM
Doug...

says...

snip

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/...tation/crew-6/
html/jsc2003e05168.html (nb - wrap)

we get to see that Mr Young (as he is apparently styled) is lurking in
the background, looking old and maevolent. No-one's at their best in
that picture, are they?

Well, as you say below, consider the date. Also, the cutline to this
picture identifies Young as a "JSC Associate Director." I guess that's
the title for someone who just floats around, does what he wants and
helps out wherever he feels he's needed.

John is the one in this picture who REALLY looks like he hasn't slept in
more than two days.

(I've also just noticed the date. Have to feel even more sorry for the
poor lass, getting that photo plastered across the world; not only was
she stuck on the Dignitaries Visit, but probably hadn't slept much in
the past two days...)

I dunno -- Ms. Ham looks (to me) almost thrilled to be in the same room
with the former President and First Lady. She's the only one who looks
thrilled in any way (though it seems odd that Old George would be
smiling so much two days after Columbia burned up).

Doug

Old May 26th 04, 05:46 AM
MasterShrink

A contributing issue was that there was considerable feeling that in the
wake of Challenger, it was time for some management turnover regardless of
blame -- that new management could make changes more easily because their
reputations weren't tied up with old policies, and that the workers would
be more confident under people who weren't associated with the disaster.
So some very senior people wanted Young to step aside as boss astronaut,
and weren't in a mood to be patient with his foibles any more.

I remembered reading in "Dragonfly" that post-Challenger, in a simple internal
NASA study, that the Astronaut Office ranked dead last in terms of overall
moral, and confidence in management. This lead to the Director of Flight Crew
Operations, George Abbey being removed from his position. I imagine the next,
logical guy to go would be the Astronaut Office Chief at the time, John Young
if that was what caused the removal of his boss.

-A.L.
Old May 26th 04, 12:02 PM
bob haller

If he plans to fly again, I think he's given up on that idea pretty much.
From
what I've heard, when asked if he'll fly again, or hopes to, he jokingly
replies that his wife would kill him.

-A.L.

Or the shuttle would

Sad what NASA truly needs is more outspoken concerned persons.

No doubt if the chain of command were working he wouldnt of needed to outside
of it to get things attended to
HAVE A GREAT DAY!
Old May 26th 04, 05:28 PM
Scott Hedrick

"MasterShrink" wrote in message
I wouldn't be surprised if after
Challenger Young was dropped some hints that "it was time to move on"

Loser:"Y'know, John, you've sure been here a long time. Been to the moon,
more flights than almost anyone. Might be time to move on."

Young:"I'll miss you. Take those boxes in the corner to clean out your desk
when you move on."

Old May 28th 04, 12:07 AM
dave schneider

Doug... wrote:
[...]
(I've also just noticed the date. Have to feel even more sorry for the
poor lass, getting that photo plastered across the world; not only was
she stuck on the Dignitaries Visit, but probably hadn't slept much in
the past two days...)

I dunno -- Ms. Ham looks (to me) almost thrilled to be in the same room
with the former President and First Lady. She's the only one who looks
thrilled in any way (though it seems odd that Old George would be
smiling so much two days after Columbia burned up).

Could be she's getting ready to make comment in response to something
being said -- speech motions do funny things to faces (and filmmakers
don't like it when singers sing in front of the camera).

/dps