Charles Krauthammer Blows It

Old March 3rd 07, 03:47 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
kT

Default Charles Krauthammer Blows It

From NASAWatch :

"The shuttles were on an endless trip to the nowhere of low Earth orbit.
The moon is a destination."

I feel his pain - the moon is on an endless trip to the nowhere of Earth
orbit, and the Earth is on an endless trip to the nowhere of solar orbit.

Oh, the horror.

--
Get A Free Orbiter Space Flight Simulator :
http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/orbit.html
Old March 3rd 07, 09:43 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Brad Guth[_2_]

"kT" wrote in message

From NASAWatch :

"The shuttles were on an endless trip to the nowhere of low Earth orbit.
The moon is a destination."

I feel his pain - the moon is on an endless trip to the nowhere of Earth
orbit, and the Earth is on an endless trip to the nowhere of solar orbit.

Oh, the horror.

Going naysay postal again, are we?
-
Brad Guth

Old March 3rd 07, 11:17 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Bill Bonde

kT wrote:

From NASAWatch :

"The shuttles were on an endless trip to the nowhere of low Earth orbit.
The moon is a destination."

I feel his pain - the moon is on an endless trip to the nowhere of Earth
orbit, and the Earth is on an endless trip to the nowhere of solar orbit.

I was calling what Shuttle does going "roundy round". I guess "endless
trip to nowhere" is less sarcastic.

The Moon really is a destination. There is something there that isn't
explored. LEO is just empty space. For some reason that gets lost in the
hoopla of just getting something up there.

--
Bush say global warm-warm not real
Even though ice gone and no seals
Old March 4th 07, 12:58 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
kT

Bill Bonde wrote:

kT wrote:
From NASAWatch :

"The shuttles were on an endless trip to the nowhere of low Earth orbit.
The moon is a destination."

I feel his pain - the moon is on an endless trip to the nowhere of Earth
orbit, and the Earth is on an endless trip to the nowhere of solar orbit.

I was calling what Shuttle does going "roundy round". I guess "endless
trip to nowhere" is less sarcastic.

The Moon really is a destination. There is something there that isn't
explored. LEO is just empty space. For some reason that gets lost in the
hoopla of just getting something up there.

I know, we can go directly to the moon, without crossing any empty space
to get there. And we can just forget that just above the surface of the
moon, it's all empty space! My god man, your a genius! Call Michael
Griffin right away, we've got to get this remarkable result out there!

Old March 4th 07, 02:24 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Bill Bonde

kT wrote:

Bill Bonde wrote:

kT wrote:
From NASAWatch :

"The shuttles were on an endless trip to the nowhere of low Earth orbit.
The moon is a destination."

I feel his pain - the moon is on an endless trip to the nowhere of Earth
orbit, and the Earth is on an endless trip to the nowhere of solar orbit.

I was calling what Shuttle does going "roundy round". I guess "endless
trip to nowhere" is less sarcastic.

The Moon really is a destination. There is something there that isn't
explored. LEO is just empty space. For some reason that gets lost in the
hoopla of just getting something up there.

I know, we can go directly to the moon, without crossing any empty space
to get there. And we can just forget that just above the surface of the
moon, it's all empty space! My god man, your a genius! Call Michael
Griffin right away, we've got to get this remarkable result out there!

If it's so obvious to you that the Moon is a destination and roundy
round in LEO is just going around in circles going nowhere, why did the
US spend so much time going nowhere in LEO? How could anyone be fooled
by that?

Old March 4th 07, 02:29 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
kT

Default Cowboys and Horseys on the Moon!

Bill Bonde wrote:

kT wrote:
Bill Bonde wrote:
kT wrote:
From NASAWatch :

[...]

Er ... because the moon is in space? Everything is in space, get it?

How could anyone be fooled by that?

The conservative mantra : Cowboys and Horseys on the Moon!

Old March 4th 07, 05:13 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Mike Rhino

"Bill Bonde" wrote in message

kT wrote:

Bill Bonde wrote:

kT wrote:
From NASAWatch :

[...]

It was thought that a space station would be useful. At one point, people
were afraid to go either forward or back. Politicians didn't want to spend
billions on a better rocket and station, but they didn't want to kill the
manned space program, so they let it drift.

In the case of the moon, I think the secret is to put habitats, tourism, and
colonies into the initial plan instead of repeating Apollo and hand waving
that at some future date we'll have something better. If you send habitats
before the first manned flight, that will give you a chance to test out your
rockets to make sure they work.

Old March 4th 07, 06:08 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
kT

Mike Rhino wrote:
"Bill Bonde" wrote in message

kT wrote:
Bill Bonde wrote:
kT wrote:
From NASAWatch :

[...]

Right, going up Earth's steep gravity well to LEO, further up the
gravity well to GEO and beyond, then back down the well into lunar
orbit, and then down the steep gravity well to the lunar surface, and
all the way back again to Earth. Yup, any old tourist can afford that.

So, how is life in la la land. Is it good?

Old March 5th 07, 09:02 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Eric Chomko

On Mar 3, 9:24 pm, Bill Bonde wrote:
kT wrote:

Bill Bonde wrote:

kT wrote:
From NASAWatch :

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...07/03/01/AR200...

[...]

First off, there is value in LEO and GEO. But we have now created a
station, a space telescope as well as many EOSs and COMSATs Perhaps it
took a generation, but now it is time to go back to the moon. Trips to
LEO won't stop. It is just that the private sector should now provide
the means to get there and cheaper at that.

Eric

--
Bush say global warm-warm not real
Even though ice gone and no seals
Polar bears can't find their meals
Grow as thin as Ally McBeals- Hide quoted text -

Old March 5th 07, 09:25 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Eric Chomko

On Mar 3, 9:29 pm, kT wrote:
Bill Bonde wrote:

kT wrote:

[...]