About these Meade binoculars....

Old April 29th 05, 10:23 PM
Martin

"Mike Coon" wrote in message
Holly in France wrote:
very pleased with them although will have to practice holding them
steady or fish out a suitable tripod!

Good grief, do they have a tripod mount too?! I'm going to have to search
around some more Lidl stores...

Mike.
--
If reply address = connectfee, add an r because it is free not fee.

Yes they do have the thread to allow the connecting of a tripod/monopod.

Martin

Old April 30th 05, 08:39 PM
Stephen Poley

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 16:42:36 GMT, "Paul Buglass"
wrote:

"Holly in France" wrote in message
.. .

Hmm, this has got me thinking. Before I make a fool of myself and say any
more I have a question. How far is 'infinity' as far as binocular focus is
concerned? I suspect this depends on the magnification/power of the bins,

Yes, and also on the diameter of the lenses.

Infinity is a long way away when talking distances :-), but when talking
about being focused at infinity, it means the light "rays" from the object
being observed can be considered to be parallel, i.e. not diverging from a
source closer to the observer. In reality, there is little difference
between being focused at infinity, and being focused on something a few
miles away.

For the size of binoculars used by most birdwatchers, anything over
about 100 metres will be in focus when you're focussed on infinity. Less
than 100 metres in the case of small bins.

--
Stephen Poley
uk.rec.birdwatching FAQ: http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/ukrb.htm
Old May 16th 05, 03:49 PM
kestrel

"James Coates" wrote in message
Holly in France wrote:

For anyone else reading who is short sighted and prefers to remove their
glasses, even at £15/20 euro I wouldn't recommend that you buy these
particular binoculars, at least not for bird/wildlife watching, I'll see
about astronomy later. I think I will be more likely to use my Pentax
8x21
pocket bins in future. They don't have the detailed focus obviously and
the image is not as sharp, but overall I feel I can see more with them,
more easily.

I'll have one of your pairs if you don't want them then, cos when I went
they'd sold out. :-(

James.
xx

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Old May 16th 05, 04:51 PM
Martin

Holly in France wrote:

For anyone else reading who is short sighted and prefers to remove their
glasses, even at £15/20 euro I wouldn't recommend that you buy these
particular binoculars, at least not for bird/wildlife watching, I'll see
about astronomy later. I think I will be more likely to use my Pentax
8x21
pocket bins in future. They don't have the detailed focus obviously and
the image is not as sharp, but overall I feel I can see more with them,
more easily.

I'll have one of your pairs if you don't want them then, cos when I went
they'd sold out. :-(

James.
xx

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I find the image very sharp, much better than a more expensive set of bins
I've had for years.

Martin

Old May 16th 05, 06:06 PM
Martin Frey

"Martin" wrote:

I find the image very sharp, much better than a more expensive set of bins
I've had for years.

Meade? Better? Send for the Inquisition.

Bet you didn't expect that.

Cheers

Martin

--
Martin Frey
http://www.hadastro.org.uk
Old May 18th 05, 11:10 AM
Holly in France

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 16:42:36 GMT, "Paul Buglass"

For the size of binoculars used by most birdwatchers, anything over
about 100 metres will be in focus when you're focussed on infinity. Less
than 100 metres in the case of small bins.

Hi all, sorry for delay in the reply to this, been a bit busy. Thanks to
everyone for your replies.

Anyway, an interesting (well I think so anyway) development in the
binoculars situation - they have improved! No, it's (unfortunately!)
definitely not my eyesight that has suddenly improved after nearly 40
years. I do hope people are going to believe me and not think I am potty!

My first thought, as I said somewhere before, when I got the bins was that
the focus was 'stuck' in some way, and luckily I had the second pair so
when they behaved the same way I thought it was meant to be like that.
However....after a fair bit of use the focus knob travel has altered a bit.
Whereas before there was a little gap at the main lens end of the thread,
now the gap is at the other end. This would be about 1mm, possibly a bit
less, but it has made an enormous difference to the length over which I can
now focus the bins. One pair is better than the other, but I can now focus
to about 300m, more if I deliberately 'unfocus' my eyes a bit but obviously
that is not a good idea!! So...I am now using the bins almost all the time
with my glasses on, but, if I want a really good view of something I can
take the specs off and still use them. Don't know if anyone else has
noticed this, but unless one was trying regularly to focus as far away as
possible I don't think it would have happened.

Anyway, all's well that end's well, I was pleased with the bins before but
am even happier with them now. Thanks again for everyone's input.

--
Holly, in France
Holiday home in Dordogne