Any celebrations to be held in honor of Challenger and Columbia tragedies?

Old December 30th 04, 10:17 PM

Default Any celebrations to be held in honor of Challenger and Columbia tragedies?

At least Sean O'keefe is leaving NASA after lo these many years. That
would appear to be an acceptance on his part of dereliction of duty.

Old December 31st 04, 12:16 AM

OUCH. Rather harsh, but I appreciate the sentiment. I'm just
wondering why it is, that circa January 20 every year, everyone starts
talking about Challenger, and of course now Columbia, but you have to
hunt for the one, ten-second reference anywhere on the news about
Apollo One. Not to be gross, but if we had been televising that
Plugs-Out test, perhaps there would be just a little more of the
passion I see above with regard to that, our FIRST loss in the space
program. Instead, Lt. Col. Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom, Lt. Col. Edward
Higgins White II, and Lt. Comm. (Dr.) Roger Bruce Chaffee are lucky to
get a passing mention.
Something is wrong with this picture.

Old December 31st 04, 04:31 AM
Richard.Glueck

The use of the word "celebrations" seems a little inappropriate in this
case. Perhaps "rememberances" would be more appropriate?

Old December 31st 04, 04:58 AM

RK, always the king of minutia. You KNOW I was talking about AMERICAN
losses, but if it will get you to focus on the POINT, I'll be sure to
spell it out for you next time!

Old December 31st 04, 05:00 AM

I'm going to hazard a guess here that the word "celebrations" was being
used in the context of our politically-correct world, where rather than
focus on the "negative" aspect of death, we "celebrate" the lives they
lived. But I agree with you; I didn't like that word-choice either.

Old December 31st 04, 05:34 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

wrote in message
oups.com...
RK, always the king of minutia. You KNOW I was talking about AMERICAN
losses, but if it will get you to focus on the POINT, I'll be sure to
spell it out for you next time!

And you missed his point. They weren't the first AMERICAN losses.

When's the last time you mourned Theodore Freeman; Charles Bassett, II;
Elliot See, Jr.; Clifton Williams, Jr.?

Or do they some how not count?

Old December 31st 04, 08:16 AM

**sigh** Those were T-38 crashes. Yes, I'm aware they were
astronauts, but I THOUGHT the topic of this thread was Columbia and
Challenger, and if so, I was pointing out what SHOULD HAVE BEEN the
OBVIOUS omission of Apollo One. Did NO ONE on this News Group take
Critical Thinking in college? If not, perhaps you can go back and
review your sixth-grade reading comprehension class.

Old December 31st 04, 08:39 AM
OM

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 22:00:27 -0600, rk
wrote:

The AS-204 crew was not the first loss in the US space program. There were
also losses in the USSR space program that preceded the loss of the AS-204
crew.

[Cue Geo!]

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old December 31st 04, 08:47 AM

Thanks for "cuing" Geo, Bob, but I noticed something...actually TWO
things: 1. You were late with this post, because I already answered
it above; and, 2. You did not rise to Scott Grissom's challenge on
that other thread! You just love to pop in and out at will, throw in
your two-cents worth (which is worth about a half-penny) and leave
without adding anything substantive to the conversation! And I'm
quite certain that did NOT escape Scott's notice...
**WINK**

Old December 31st 04, 02:03 PM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

wrote in message
oups.com...
**sigh** Those were T-38 crashes.

So somehow they don't count?

Yes, I'm aware they were
astronauts, but I THOUGHT the topic of this thread was Columbia and
Challenger, and if so, I was pointing out what SHOULD HAVE BEEN the
OBVIOUS omission of Apollo One. Did NO ONE on this News Group take
Critical Thinking in college? If not, perhaps you can go back and
review your sixth-grade reading comprehension class.

How about you start.

Start with answering the question: "How can you act like the Apollo 1 deaths
were the first fatalities in the US space program when they clearly
weren't?"

You're so fixated on Apollo 1 you're obviously willing to overlook the lives
of other astronauts who died in the line of duty.

That's pretty damn pathetic.