What is this rosette thingie?

Old February 6th 05, 06:21 AM
John Popelish

Default What is this rosette thingie?

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...1P2936M2M1.JPG

Anybody have an opinion on what the sort of radially symmetrical
rosette in the center of the brushed area in this Spirit microscopic
imager photo from Sol 386 might be?

--
John Popelish
Old February 6th 05, 08:01 AM
Earthling48

John Popelish Feb 5, 10:21 pm show options

Newsgroups: sci.astro
From: John Popelish - Find messages by this author

Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 01:21:49 -0500
Subject: What is this rosette thingie?
original | Report Abuse

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...0631572EFFA2K1...

Anybody have an opinion on what the sort of radially symmetrical
rosette in the center of the brushed area in this Spirit microscopic
imager photo from Sol 386 might be?

--
John Popelish

No, but it certainly looks interesting. I hope someone can come up
with an explanation.

Regards,

Earthling48

Old February 6th 05, 10:33 AM
George Dishman

"John Popelish" wrote in message
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...1P2936M2M1.JPG

Anybody have an opinion on what the sort of radially symmetrical
rosette in the center of the brushed area in this Spirit microscopic
imager photo from Sol 386 might be?

The outer limit of the brushed area is at about five times
the radius of the central rosette and is concentric with it.
There is probably an area near the spindle of the brush that
doesn't get abraded. It's not clear whether the brushing caused
the radial lines but unless they lined it up on them to start,
the fact that they too seem to originate at the centre of the
brushing suggests the tool caused them.

George

Old February 6th 05, 01:00 PM
Aidan Karley

In article .com,
Earthling48 wrote:
Anybody have an opinion on what the sort of radially symmetrical
rosette in the center of the brushed area in this Spirit microscopic
imager photo from Sol 386 might be?

--
John Popelish

No, but it certainly looks interesting. I hope someone can come up
with an explanation.

The radiating structure of fine spherules looks very like a
pyrite framboid to me. Common in reduced-atmosphere environments.

--
Aidan Karley,
Aberdeen, Scotland,

Old February 6th 05, 04:39 PM
John Popelish

George Dishman wrote:

"John Popelish" wrote in message
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...1P2936M2M1.JPG

Anybody have an opinion on what the sort of radially symmetrical
rosette in the center of the brushed area in this Spirit microscopic
imager photo from Sol 386 might be?

The outer limit of the brushed area is at about five times
the radius of the central rosette and is concentric with it.
There is probably an area near the spindle of the brush that
doesn't get abraded. It's not clear whether the brushing caused
the radial lines but unless they lined it up on them to start,
the fact that they too seem to originate at the centre of the
brushing suggests the tool caused them.

Yes, the accurate centering of the object was obvious to me, but I
have not seen any similar tool artifact in any other image.

I think they just got lucky at centering what ever this is.

--
John Popelish
Old February 6th 05, 04:48 PM
John Popelish

Aidan Karley wrote:

In article .com,
Earthling48 wrote:
Anybody have an opinion on what the sort of radially symmetrical
rosette in the center of the brushed area in this Spirit microscopic
imager photo from Sol 386 might be?

--
John Popelish

No, but it certainly looks interesting. I hope someone can come up
with an explanation.

The radiating structure of fine spherules looks very like a
to me. Common in reduced-atmosphere environments.

Thank you for the term. I have seen such formations in Earth
minerals, but was not familiar with the name.

--
John Popelish
Old February 6th 05, 10:55 PM
jacob navia

John Popelish wrote:
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...1P2936M2M1.JPG

Anybody have an opinion on what the sort of radially symmetrical
rosette in the center of the brushed area in this Spirit microscopic
imager photo from Sol 386 might be?

It looks like a cut through a fossil isn't it?

When looking at it, it is obvious. Maybe it is
an incredible "optical illusion", but sorry,
that would be surprising...

Perfectly round, with a radial marks and texture...
Mmm this is very interesting.

"What on mars" has published a good photo of it:
http://www.whatonmars.com
Old February 7th 05, 12:48 AM
John Popelish

jacob navia wrote:

John Popelish wrote:
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...1P2936M2M1.JPG

Anybody have an opinion on what the sort of radially symmetrical
rosette in the center of the brushed area in this Spirit microscopic
imager photo from Sol 386 might be?

It looks like a cut through a fossil isn't it?

When looking at it, it is obvious. Maybe it is
an incredible "optical illusion", but sorry,
that would be surprising...

Perfectly round, with a radial marks and texture...
Mmm this is very interesting.

"What on mars" has published a good photo of it:
http://www.whatonmars.com

I don't believe that this image was captured after any grinding. I
think they just swept the dust away with the grinder brush before
taking these images. Not only is its symmetry interesting, but its
texture is very distinctively different from the rock behind it.

--
John Popelish

Rosette nebular James Vincent Misc 1 February 28th 04 07:25 PM
rosette nebular James Vincent Amateur Astronomy 1 February 27th 04 07:47 PM
Rosette Nebula: Stellarvue/TMB 105 & Canon 10D Stephen Pitt Amateur Astronomy 0 February 22nd 04 11:35 PM
Fitful Young Star Sputters to Maturity in the Rosette Nebula (Forwarded) Andrew Yee Astronomy Misc 0 January 26th 04 01:50 PM
Rosette project completed Richard Crisp CCD Imaging 0 November 1st 03 08:24 PM