Help finding satellite prediction tools

Old January 27th 05, 06:05 PM
SatSeeker

Default Help finding satellite prediction tools

Hi Everyone,

I am new in this science and wanted to learn more about it. Currently,
I have been trying to see satellites with my telescope and using jtrack
to predict when they pass by. Also to plan where you can see them from
the earth.

Now I want to write a Java program to predict satellites as they pass
by and plot them on a map. Unfortunately, I have not found any
resource to help with the Keplerian elements in the TLE files. I found
JOSAST, but it did not have enough documentation written down to my
level of space science.

Does any one know or can they point me in the right direction to find
these resources?

Thanks,

Dean

Old January 27th 05, 11:58 PM
Ted Molczan

"SatSeeker" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Everyone,

I am new in this science and wanted to learn more about it. Currently,
I have been trying to see satellites with my telescope and using jtrack
to predict when they pass by. Also to plan where you can see them from
the earth.

Now I want to write a Java program to predict satellites as they pass
by and plot them on a map. Unfortunately, I have not found any
resource to help with the Keplerian elements in the TLE files. I found
JOSAST, but it did not have enough documentation written down to my
level of space science.

Does any one know or can they point me in the right direction to find
these resources?

Have you checked Dr. T.S. Kelso's web site?:

http://celestrak.com/software/tskelso-sw.asp

http://celestrak.com/columns/

Ted Molczan

Old January 28th 05, 03:50 PM
Vince Fiscus, KB7ADL

"SatSeeker" wrote in
oups.com:

Hi Everyone,

I am new in this science and wanted to learn more about it. Currently,
I have been trying to see satellites with my telescope and using jtrack
to predict when they pass by. Also to plan where you can see them from
the earth.

Now I want to write a Java program to predict satellites as they pass
by and plot them on a map. Unfortunately, I have not found any
resource to help with the Keplerian elements in the TLE files. I found
JOSAST, but it did not have enough documentation written down to my
level of space science.

Does any one know or can they point me in the right direction to find
these resources?

Thanks,

Dean

Hi Dean,

Also see: http://www.amsat-na.com/category.php?c=Software

A software purchase from Amsat, a non-profit organization, will help them
build and launch satellites.

Vince, KB7ADL
Old January 29th 05, 01:37 AM
JATO

This is what I use. http://www.heavenscape.com/
If you have a computer controlled scope it may be on the list of supported
scopes. I get my TLEs direct from NASA's website every 30 days
http://oig1.gsfc.nasa.gov/scripts/fo...DFG9YYIMSG1RBW

-JATO
http://jatobservatory.org
Old January 29th 05, 04:39 AM
SatSeeker

Thanks Vince,

This is close to what I am looking for. I guess I need a Java version
of a propagator now. The computers I have available have a variety of
operating systems (Windows, Linux, and sometime Mac). Which makes it a
bit tricky for having a single application run on. But if I can find
this Java version of a satellite propagator, I should be good.

By being Java, I can cut a CD of my application and have it run on
either of the computer operating systems.

Oh, Thanks Ted and JATO. The references to Dr. T.S. Kelso's web page
was handy in teaching me a lot more about satellites as well as where
to get the TLEs.

This is a really cool science and keeps on getting interesting each
day.

If you hear of a Java implementation of a propagator and interpolator,
please keep me in mind.
Thanks again everyone for your help.

Dean

Old January 29th 05, 06:23 PM
Ted Molczan

"SatSeeker" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks Vince,

This is close to what I am looking for. I guess I need a Java version
of a propagator now.

TLEs (2-line elements) are based on the SGP4 orbit propagation model. In
case you overlooked it, T.S. Kelso provides a link to a Java source code
version of SGP4, included in the program passfinder, developed by Pedro J.
Fernandez:

Old January 31st 05, 04:58 PM
SatSeeker

Thanks! It looks like what I have been searching for.

Dean

Old January 31st 05, 05:05 PM
SatSeeker

Thanks! It looks like what I have been searching for.

Dean

Maybe you sci.astro.amateur and sci.astro readers can explain this Sam Wormley Astronomy Misc 16 July 2nd 04 10:17 PM
Satellite Tracking Pete UK Astronomy 0 June 21st 04 09:11 PM
UK Will Build First Satellite To Study Wind From Space Ron Baalke Misc 0 November 20th 03 04:05 PM
UK Will Build First Satellite To Study Wind From Space Ron Baalke Science 0 November 20th 03 04:05 PM
Successful Launch for Boeing-Built Galaxy XIII/Horizons-1 Satellite Gene Nygaard Policy 0 October 6th 03 05:24 PM