toucan

Old July 24th 04, 09:35 PM
Jackie Green

Default toucan

newbie to digital astrophotographer here, Have been recommended the toucam
pro II and can afford it. will I regret it? (can't go to more money)

--
Jackie
Destined for greatness - I'm just pacing myself.

Old July 24th 04, 09:57 PM
Jackie Green

Jackie Green wrote:
newbie to digital astrophotographer here, Have been recommended the
toucam pro II and can afford it. will I regret it? (can't go to more
money)

obviously, that was meant to be touca*m* durr.

Old July 24th 04, 10:23 PM
Carsten A. Arnholm

Jackie Green wrote:
Jackie Green wrote:
newbie to digital astrophotographer here, Have been recommended the
toucam pro II and can afford it. will I regret it? (can't go to more
money)

obviously, that was meant to be touca*m* durr.

Hi,

The ToUcam Pro II (840k) is the choice of many for planetary imaging these
days. If that's what you want to do, you will not regret it. It is also
possible to modify for longer exposures, but that requires some soldering
skill, and you risk ruining the camera.

The previous model, the ToUcam Pro (740k) is basically identical (different
housing) and just as good. It has the advantage of somewhat longer cable.

Go for the ToUcam, but be sure to get 740k or 840k, they have CCD chips.
There are other models with CMOS chips, and these should be avoided.

Clear skies
Carsten A. Arnholm
http://arnholm.org/
N59.776 E10.457

Old July 24th 04, 10:31 PM
Jackie Green

Carsten A. Arnholm wrote:
Jackie Green wrote:
Jackie Green wrote:
newbie to digital astrophotographer here, Have been recommended the
toucam pro II and can afford it. will I regret it? (can't go to more
money)

obviously, that was meant to be touca*m* durr.

Hi,

The ToUcam Pro II (840k) is the choice of many for planetary imaging
these days. If that's what you want to do, you will not regret it. It
is also possible to modify for longer exposures, but that requires
some soldering skill, and you risk ruining the camera.

The previous model, the ToUcam Pro (740k) is basically identical
(different housing) and just as good. It has the advantage of
somewhat longer cable.

Go for the ToUcam, but be sure to get 740k or 840k, they have CCD
chips. There are other models with CMOS chips, and these should be
avoided.

so as long as it's atoucam pro doesnt matter if it's I or II? cheers for the
answer. It's basically hubby thats the astronomer, but I'm buying him the
camera for his birthday. we just went to look at one in an astronomy shop
but I wasnt going to pay £90 for the camera and adapter there as I knew the
web would be cheaper. I also wanted to check out a couple of bits of advice
frm folks who have been using them or know about them.
xx

Old July 25th 04, 01:50 AM
Jackie Green

Carsten A. Arnholm wrote:
Jackie Green wrote:
Jackie Green wrote:
newbie to digital astrophotographer here, Have been recommended the
toucam pro II and can afford it. will I regret it? (can't go to more
money)

obviously, that was meant to be touca*m* durr.

Hi,

The ToUcam Pro II (840k) is the choice of many for planetary imaging
these days. If that's what you want to do, you will not regret it. It
is also possible to modify for longer exposures, but that requires
some soldering skill, and you risk ruining the camera.

The previous model, the ToUcam Pro (740k) is basically identical
(different housing) and just as good. It has the advantage of
somewhat longer cable.

Go for the ToUcam, but be sure to get 740k or 840k, they have CCD
chips. There are other models with CMOS chips, and these should be
avoided.

Are they any good for deep sky objects without modifications? ( eg if using
stacking software? ) TYIA

Old July 25th 04, 04:18 AM
Ed Astle

"Jackie Green" . uk wrote
in message ...
newbie to digital astrophotographer here, Have been recommended the toucam
pro II and can afford it. will I regret it? (can't go to more money)
Jackie
Destined for greatness - I'm just pacing myself.
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditiones habes

Never regret being able to afford something.

On a more useful note, try these:
http://www.trutek-uk.com/

They do a "Toucam Pro 2 Model PCVC840K" for about £74 inc p&p.

BTW, shouldn't that be eruditionis?
I couldn't read it and neither am I overedukated, but I know how to use
google ;-)

Regards,
Ed.

Old July 25th 04, 12:22 PM
Jo

In ,
Jackie Green . uk typed:

so as long as it's atoucam pro doesnt matter if it's I or II? cheers
for the answer. It's basically hubby thats the astronomer, but I'm
buying him the camera for his birthday. we just went to look at one
in an astronomy shop but I wasnt going to pay £90 for the camera and
adapter there as I knew the web would be cheaper. I also wanted to
check out a couple of bits of advice frm folks who have been using
them or know about them.

I recently bought one from True Technology Ltd.

Total, including VAT and delivery, was £75.00 and for that they threw in an
adapter. Delivery and service was excellent.

Website URL:
www.trutek-uk.com

For some reason that is not working right now. Telephone: 01189 700 777 Fax:
01189 701 031

Jo

Old July 25th 04, 12:39 PM
Jackie Green

Ed Astle wrote:
"Jackie Green" . uk
wrote in message
newbie to digital astrophotographer here, Have been recommended the
toucam pro II and can afford it. will I regret it? (can't go to more
money) Jackie
Destined for greatness - I'm just pacing myself.
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditiones habes

Never regret being able to afford something.

I might regret *only* being able to afford this one and it not being very
good though.

On a more useful note, try these:
http://www.trutek-uk.com/

They do a "Toucam Pro 2 Model PCVC840K" for about £74 inc p&p.

BTW, shouldn't that be eruditionis?
I couldn't read it and neither am I overedukated, but I know how to
use google ;-)

Regards,
Ed.

Simply computers are doing it for £45.99 inc postage, I too can gooogle....
rofl (dealtime is my friend)
re the latin, I did take it as a subect at school, but I am sufficiently
past school leaving to not remember all the declinations. I just saw it on a
latin quote page and pinched it for my sig. (I did google it first for the
meaning though, I only *look* stupid :-D )
tyfh

Old July 25th 04, 01:09 PM
Jackie Green

Jackie Green wrote:
Jackie Green wrote:
newbie to digital astrophotographer here, Have been recommended the
toucam pro II and can afford it. will I regret it? (can't go to more
money)

I may have discovered a flaw in my plan. The Toucam cannot be used without
USB can it? As in Rob can't take his scope to a field and take pictures
because we don't have a laptop.
can anyone confirm this? I have been reading product specs for ages and they
are mainly a bit vague.

Old July 25th 04, 01:22 PM
Kipper

Jackie Green wrote:
Jackie Green wrote:
newbie to digital astrophotographer here, Have been recommended the
toucam pro II and can afford it. will I regret it? (can't go to more
money)

I may have discovered a flaw in my plan. The Toucam cannot be used without
USB can it? As in Rob can't take his scope to a field and take pictures
because we don't have a laptop.
can anyone confirm this? I have been reading product specs for ages and they
are mainly a bit vague.

Yes Jackie,

The ToUcam is USB. I got a PII laptop off ebay for 150 pounds, but as you can see, astronomy is
always about buying just one more thing

I'd recommend Steve Mogg for your adapter (and a few other optics as/when you require them). You
*will* need to modify it for deepsky, but the fun you can get from an unmodified camera still makes
it worth buying.

Steve Moggs site is:

http://webcaddy.com.au/astro/adapter.htm

and the following are a few other sites you might be interested in:

http://www.pk3.org/Astro/index.htm?software.htm

http://www.pmdo.com/wintro.htm

http://astro.ai-software.com/toucam2.html

Cheers