Beagle ... alas

Old January 8th 04, 02:36 PM
Ami Silberman

Default Thread merge (was Beagle ... alas)

"Henry Spencer" wrote in message
Jim Davis wrote:
I thought it was made very clear (in his writings, haven't seen ROTK)
that her exile was because she was one of the leaders, indeed the
only surviving leader, of the Noldorin revolt over Morgoth's seizure
of the Silmarils in the First Age.

Except that everyone else with complicity in the revolt was eventually
forgiven and allowed back into Valinor, she being an explicit exception
for unexplained reasons.
--

Possibly due to the public dissemination of a very unflattering portrait of
her with her eyes glazed over. The original, uncropped painting shows her

Old January 11th 04, 03:29 AM
Christopher P. Winter

Default Beagle ... alas

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 14:18:45 GMT, "Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)"
wrote:

"Scott Hedrick" wrote in message
news

There's a comic, whose name I forget at the moment (Steven ----), who

tells
a joke: I moved into a new apartment last week. I found a switch that
doesn't do anything. On Sunday, I kept flipping it while trying to guess
what it does. I got a call from a woman in West Germany telling me to stop
it.

Steven Wright.

He also has a map of the world. 1" = 1". Took his last summer vacation
just to fold it.

He also has a collection of seashells. He keeps it on beaches all over the
world. Perhaps you've seen it?

I'm reading a book that quotes that one. (_Eric Meyer on CSS_, page 263.)

Old January 11th 04, 03:29 AM
Christopher P. Winter

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 16:56:00 -0600, Pat Flannery wrote
(in part):

Scott Hedrick wrote:

Pat, it sounds like you have old, gummy three-way switches. It requires 4
wires, white (neutral), black (hot), red (swings either way) and bare
(ground).

Old switches (especially with Bakelite) can get gummy and slow down the
internal workings, depending on how warm they get.

These didn't slow down, they would just try, sometimes dim the light
momentarily, or make it illuminate momentarily... and go right back
off...then give up...at least the house ones.
The apartment ones are obviously wired in series. God knows how the
house ones were wired.
Would it be possible to wire them in such a way so that they were
connected in two different ways at once? Sort of in series, and sort of
the way they were supposed to be?* The effect was like the electricity
couldn't make up its mind immediately as to what it wanted to do...you
could flip the bottom switch up and down till you were blue in the face
without any effect on the upstairs light's illumination status. Could
they have been wired in series in such a way that they were normally in
the "on" position, and to turn the light off required _both_ to be
turned to the "off" position? That- plus your sticky switch hypothesis-
would seem to come close to explaining the observed behavior.

My guess is that they were wired in series, one was gummed up as Scott
describes, with a sort of delayed action, and one was defective so that it
either had a "sneak path" that allowed current to flow past it, or else when
it was thrown the handle moved but the contacts did not separate.

Sheer speculation, of course.

Colin Pilinger to head inquiry into what went wrong with Beagle... Tom Merkle Policy 4 February 1st 04 12:58 AM
hope for Beagle 2 ? Simon Laub Science 7 January 18th 04 11:24 PM
Beagle 2 assistance Martin Milan Science 6 December 30th 03 03:50 PM
Beagle 2 landing sequence - how? Abdul Ahad Technology 2 December 10th 03 11:55 AM