John Carmack has Balls of ?????

Old January 26th 04, 12:53 AM
MSu1049321

Default John Carmack has Balls of ?????

Fullerine?;-)
Old January 26th 04, 04:12 AM
Christopher M. Jones

Earl Colby Pottinger wrote in message ...
Flying a mixed AlH3/98% H2O2 rocket = Balls of ?????

By remote control? Doesn't count. By the seat
of his pants? I dunno, but whatever it is it
better be witty enough and inspiring enough for
the message on the tombstone. Or, well, the
plaque that marks the location of the fragments
that could be found and genetically identified
as belonging to him.
Old January 26th 04, 04:34 AM
BllFs6

Flying a mixed AlH3/98% H2O2 rocket = Balls of ?????

Earl Colby Pottinger

PS. My vote is uranium.

Unerectium?

take care

Blll

Old January 31st 04, 12:26 AM
spacr

Hahaha, ROFLMAO...

Balls of STUPIDITY...

As one of the few living people to have ever burned 90% H2O2 with AlH3, I
can state emphatically...
JOHN, earth to John, remember when I warned you about getting someone killed
one day? H2O2 + AlH3 will be that day!
Unless you clean your H2O2 til it is electronics grade or better AND you
have complete quality control on your AlH3 production to ensure that it is
100% pure AlH3, I GUARANTEE you that this mixture will be hypergolic.
Even if you could acheive the level of quality control to get pure H2O2 and
AlH3 (your actions to date show this to be highly unlikely) alumina partices
created in the decomposition would destroy any catalyst bed in under 60
seconds. Nozzle throat errosion with high percentage loadings of AlH3 would
also be a significant issue.
Since you have started down the AlH3 path, I'll give you a freebie. Start
thinking about a hybrid motor, H2O2 as the liquid oxidizer and a mixture of
AlH3 with 5%-15% solid hydrocarbon as the solid fuel grain. I'm sure if you
asked nicely, and threw a little cash his way, Bevin McKinney could bring
you up to speed on hybrid grain design. Nasa Lewis did some theoretical
studies on H2O2-AlH3-hydrocarbon motors in the 1980's and early 1990's. Most
of the work was headed up by:

I'll go back to lurking in the shadows now...

As Always,

Jay Troetschel

"Oren Tirosh" wrote in message
om...
Earl Colby Pottinger wrote in message

(Henry Spencer) :

In article ,
John Carmack wrote:
...If you mixed powdered AlH3 into 98% peroxide... modest
modifications to our X-Prize vehicle to make an SSTO filled with

that.
Probably fearfully explosive, but it would be worth some carefull
testing to see...

The mere suggestion is enough to make me want to dive for cover. :-)
Especially since, if memory serves, the standard preparation process
for AlH3 leaves some organic solvent in it.

Flying a X-Prize class rocket = Balls of Brass.

Flying a 90%+ H2O2 rocket = Balls of Iron.

Flying a mixed Alcohol/Peroxide rocket = Balls of Steel.

Flying a mixed AlH3/98% H2O2 rocket = Balls of ?????

Unobtainium, naturally!

Old January 31st 04, 05:56 PM
Bill Teasley

WOW!
And to think, we in Oklahoma just decided o invest a few
billion dollars in space plight. I am here worrying if I should
upgrade Kerosene to Propane!

Anyone anxious to promote science (including, after reading yur post,
a state like Oklahoma that subsidizes space flight) obviously has
those replacement parts made of Silicon.

Thanks for the heads up!
I'll use your quote to vote against the future.
Bill

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 00:26:16 GMT, "spacr" wrote:

[...]

. com...

John Carmack wrote:
...If you mixed powdered AlH3 into 98% peroxide... modest
modifications to our X-Prize vehicle to make an SSTO filled with

that.
Probably fearfully explosive, but it would be worth some carefull
testing to see...

The mere suggestion is enough to make me want to dive for cover. :-)
Especially since, if memory serves, the standard preparation process
for AlH3 leaves some organic solvent in it.

Flying a X-Prize class rocket = Balls of Brass.

Flying a 90%+ H2O2 rocket = Balls of Iron.

Flying a mixed Alcohol/Peroxide rocket = Balls of Steel.

Flying a mixed AlH3/98% H2O2 rocket = Balls of ?????

Unobtainium, naturally!

*** Insky Engineering When you need an engineer really bad, we are. ***
*** ***
*** Voice, Video, And Data for Doctors, Lawyers, and even the Police Chief. ***
Old February 1st 04, 09:25 PM
John Carmack

"spacr" wrote in message news:ICCSb.190034$xy6.985733@attbi_s02...
[...]

First of all --- I WAS JOKING! Hybrids were always the way I expected
AlH3 to be used, if at all. If you could make a monoprop out of it, I
would expect it to use a conventional ignition system instead of a
catalyst pack...

Second of all --- what is up with you? I had a couple pleasant,
informative exchanges with you a year ago, but since then you just
seem to want to tell everyone that we are bent on killing someone. We
continue to have a perfect safety record after over three years of
work. Give me a concrete warning to evaluate, and I will be happy to
improve safety if there is a danger we have not identified.

Our mixed monoprop work seems to have touched off some dogma response
with you, but we have two independent studies that show 50% by weight
hydrogen peroxide mixed with methanol at a 7.5 : 1 mass ratio cannot
be detonated even with a blasting cap. Sure, under extreme duress of
temperature and confinement you can probably make it detonate, but the
same can be said for nitrous oxide, APCP, and 98% peroxide. In my
opinion, it is actually quite a bit safer to work with than 90%
peroxide. Far less corrosive, far less sensitive to contamination,
and not capable of thermal runaway, because any decomposition just
leaves you with a warmer, but more dilute solution.

John Carmack
www.armadilloaerospace.com