Missing module idea.

Old October 23rd 10, 08:22 AM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Gaff

Default Missing module idea.

So, It occurred to me that with no down mass after Shuttle, things like
pumps etc, that fail will never be investigated. What there should be of
course is a module with a large hatch which can be pressurised or not as the
case may be, so eva crew could for example bring in large items like pumps
and then pressurised the module for shirt sleeve investigations. Of course
the gases in such modules woule need to be vented before one did this.
Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.

Old October 23rd 10, 11:35 PM posted to sci.space.station
Alan Erskine[_3_]

On 23/10/2010 6:22 PM, Brian Gaff wrote:
So, It occurred to me that with no down mass after Shuttle, things like
pumps etc, that fail will never be investigated. What there should be of
course is a module with a large hatch which can be pressurised or not as the
case may be, so eva crew could for example bring in large items like pumps
and then pressurised the module for shirt sleeve investigations. Of course
the gases in such modules woule need to be vented before one did this.
Brian

There is returnable payload on Soyuz, although only for small items; and
in two years, Dragon will be operational. Any failed equipment can be
stored until then.
Old October 24th 10, 11:01 AM posted to sci.space.station
Alan Erskine[_3_]

On 24/10/2010 6:41 PM, Brian Gaff wrote:
Yeah right....

Brian

Why not?
Old October 24th 10, 07:17 PM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Thorn[_2_]

On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 09:35:02 +1100, Alan Erskine
wrote:

There is returnable payload on Soyuz, although only for small items; and
in two years, Dragon will be operational. Any failed equipment can be
stored until then.

Most failed equipment won't fit in Soyuz or Dragon. The CMGs most
prominently. Neither will the pump that failed last July.

Brian's right that such a module would need a large hatch. External
components have to be brought into the ISS first just to get to Soyuz
or Dragon even if they did fit in them, but they won't fit through the
airlock hatches.

Brian
Old October 24th 10, 07:26 PM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Thorn[_2_]

On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 06:56:23 -0400, JF Mezei
wrote:

How big is the experiment hatch/airlock on the japanese module ? is this
a CBM size or some tiny one just big enough to take a box cerials in and
out ?

Tiny.

"The maximum size of an item that can pass through this airlock is
576x830x800 mm"

Or roughly two feet by three feet.

http://iss.jaxa.jp/iss/kibo/al_e.html

Worse case scenario, I guess they could depressurize node1 with all
hatches closed to the station, open one of the CBM hatches to get
something in, close it, and repressurise node 1.

Never. Gonna. Happen.

Is the outdoor hatch on Quest a larger diametre than the docking hatches
on PMA1-2-3 ?

Smaller.

the PMA devices can be used as an airlock in a bind.

Won't help.

Brian

Old October 25th 10, 11:19 PM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Thorn[_2_]

On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 09:50:20 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Seems a bit soon to expect it to be ready to me.

Simpler answer: they won't fit in Dragon.

Brian

I've UPDATED my first idea to CUT the Orion's mass and ADDED my SECOND idea in the same page gaetanomarano Policy 1 July 3rd 07 03:33 PM
Apollo Comd Module John H[_2_] Space Shuttle 8 May 25th 07 11:36 AM
oldest star in the Milky Way discovered to date Cosmic Missing Mass Problem; Wikipedia editor learns where the missing mass is a_plutonium[_1_] Astronomy Misc 1 May 15th 07 04:34 AM
Cupola Module David Space Shuttle 2 October 27th 04 03:19 PM
Chinese module at ISS? Explorer8939 Technology 6 October 24th 03 02:47 AM