skywatcher junk!

Old January 16th 04, 03:14 AM
Michael

Default skywatcher junk!

I was quite surprised at the obvious poor quality of a skywatcher 70mm F5
achromat I saw today.
I looked down inside the tube from the objective end and saw a big HONKIN
BUGAR of a piece
of metal sticking up from the second baffle. This was after the store clerk
told me how "great a deal"
it was. It was on sale for about $190 USD and included slo mo controls,
aluminum tripod and setting
circle mount. I got the impression it was quite inferior design too just
from the cheapo appeal of it.

The coating on the lens seemed to look greenish to me rather than violet.

The 2" focuser seemed sufficient and moved smoothly.

Old January 16th 04, 11:41 AM
Rod Mollise

I was quite surprised at the obvious poor quality of a skywatcher 70mm F5

Hi:

I've never seen a Skywatcher 70 f/5, but most of their other scopes (Synta) are
of decent quality and very good quality. Many of them do require a little
tinkering, but it's generally well worth the effort. Obviously, at these prices
you should not expect TeleVue! ;-)

Peace,
Rod Mollise
Like SCTs and MCTs?
Check-out sct-user, the mailing list for CAT fanciers!
Goto http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index.html

Old January 16th 04, 03:14 PM
Shawn Grant

I was quite surprised at the obvious poor quality of a skywatcher 70mm F5
achromat I saw today.

I think it is stupid that someone would even concider a puny ass 70mm
telescope.

Old January 16th 04, 03:46 PM
Michael

"Shawn Grant" wrote in message
I was quite surprised at the obvious poor quality of a skywatcher 70mm

F5
achromat I saw today.

I think it is stupid that someone would even concider a puny ass 70mm
telescope.

What makes you think I was considering it? I was looking at it.

Orion/SkyWatcher André P. Amateur Astronomy 42 January 6th 04 02:58 PM
Konus is Junk! Tong Amateur Astronomy 0 December 20th 03 03:42 PM
SkyWatcher 6" F/8 Refractor David Dunn Amateur Astronomy 12 August 19th 03 09:55 AM
Junk science Tim Kozusko Space Shuttle 0 July 20th 03 03:57 PM