An interesting formation in the distance at Mars Meridiani

Old March 2nd 04, 03:24 AM
Kenneth Chiu

Default An interesting formation in the distance at Mars Meridiani

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...0P2391L2M1.JPG

Seems like it is putting out a lot of IR, but not much in
the shorter wavelengths. I wonder how big it is.
Old March 2nd 04, 03:42 AM
Alf P. Steinbach

* (Kenneth Chiu) schriebt:
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...0P2391L2M1.JPG

Seems like it is putting out a lot of IR, but not much in
the shorter wavelengths. I wonder how big it is.

Assuming you mean what I think, it's also in many earlier pictures, e.g.
url: http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all/1/p/034/1P131216248ESF0500P2594R7M1.JPG

Old March 2nd 04, 03:50 AM
Greg Crinklaw

Kenneth Chiu wrote:

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...0P2391L2M1.JPG

Seems like it is putting out a lot of IR, but not much in
the shorter wavelengths. I wonder how big it is.

That's the large crater to the east of the Opportunity site. It is
approximately 180m (600 ft) in diameter and lies some 700m (750 yards)
away. Once they mop up in Opportunity Crater they will most likely
spend some time sampling the soils around it and then they will probably
head for the big crater. Their going should be much easier than
Spirit's. The exposed formation is somewhat red, but I suspect it will
be very much like the bedrock where they are at now. Of course, we
won't know for sure until she gets there. Hopefully the near side has a
way down...

--
Greg Crinklaw
Astronomical Software Developer

SkyTools Software for the Observer:
http://www.skyhound.com/cs.html

Skyhound Observing Pages:
http://www.skyhound.com/sh/skyhound.html

To reply remove spleen

Old March 2nd 04, 04:55 AM
Joe Schmoe

Wow,

It looks like the petro-chemical industry has already invaded Mars.

As a former resident of Houston, TX - I must admit that I've seen this
kind of plumage on the horizon before.

Too bad the rovers' batteries are running down. I guess that photo was
just to make Cheney's missionaries work harder as 'true believers'.

HS

Old March 2nd 04, 02:40 PM
George

"Kenneth Chiu" wrote in message

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...0P2391L2M1.JPG

Seems like it is putting out a lot of IR, but not much in
the shorter wavelengths. I wonder how big it is.

I noticed that image last night, and wondered if it was the edge of the
nearby larger crater.