Advice on telescope purchase

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 30th 03, 06:24 PM
Larry

Default Advice on telescope purchase

Hi

I am interested in Astronomy, and would like to purchace a telescope - at
the moment I only have a 'toy' one, which doesn't provide very good viewing.
Do you think that this is a good telecope:

660x maximum magnification - optimum usage up to 200x.
60mm objective diameter.
800mm focal length.
Interchangeable 1.25in eyepieces.
H25mm/28x, H12.5mm/64x and SR4mm/200x, 6x 24mm finderscope, 3.3x barlow
lens.
Full length aluminium tripod with Alt Azimuth mount.
Micro altitude control.
Precise rack and pinion focusing.
1.25in diagonal mirror.
Accessory tray.
Moon filter.
Solar projection screen.

It costs £80 from argos
(http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...ay?storeId=100
01&langId=-1&catalogId=1001&productId=64081)

I am on a fairly limited budget, so I am happy with the price, but do you
think it's worth it? (it is also avaliable from Amazon, but it is more
expensive and less convinent)

Thanks,

Larry

NASA Announces New Name For Space Infrared Telescope Facility Ron Baalke History 0 December 18th 03 10:59 PM
Choosing a first telescope (advice for UK beginners) Stephen Tonkin Amateur Astronomy 8 December 1st 03 11:59 PM
Advice About Choosing First Telescope Paul Maskell Amateur Astronomy 11 November 17th 03 02:16 PM
Purchase telescope J Amateur Astronomy 6 August 27th 03 01:38 PM
A tale of a small telescope. Chuck Simmons Amateur Astronomy 13 August 10th 03 09:51 PM