Lockheed Martin Crew Exploration Vehicle team includes top industry innovators

Old January 31st 05, 02:51 PM
Jacques van Oene

Default Lockheed Martin Crew Exploration Vehicle team includes top industry innovators

LOCKHEED MARTIN'S CREW EXPLORATION VEHICLE TEAM INCLUDES TOP INDUSTRY
INNOVATORS

KEY AEROSPACE LEADERS - LOCKHEED MARTIN, EADS SPACE TRANSPORTATION, UNITED
SPACE ALLIANCE, HONEYWELL, ORBITAL SCIENCES AND HAMILTON SUNDSTRAND -- COMB

DENVER, COLO., January 31, 2005

Lockheed Martin (NYSE: LMT) announced today an all-star team of industry
innovators have joined Lockheed Martin in the competition to design and
build NASA's new Crew Exploration Vehicle (CEV). Lockheed Martin is one of
several companies chosen by NASA last September to provide concepts for the
development of a Crew Exploration Vehicle, as well as overall architecture
concepts for human exploration of the moon.

The CEV will serve as NASA's next-generation human space transportation
system that will carry astronauts from Earth to space - safer, more reliably
and more cost-effectively - all part of the nation's Vision for Space
Exploration of the moon, Mars and beyond. NASA is expected to select two
prime contractor teams later this year for further concept development, and
will make a final selection of the CEV contractor team in 2008.

"The depth and breadth of expertise and experience that Orbital Sciences,
EADS SPACE Transportation, United Space Alliance, Hamilton Sundstrand and
Honeywell bring to our CEV team is unparalleled, exciting and highly focused
on meeting NASA's needs for the future," said Michael Gass, vice president
and general manager of Space Transportation for Lockheed Martin Space
Systems. "Our team has been on every manned program over the past 45 years.
Together, we are developing a CEV for NASA that will be much safer, more
reliable and much more operationally efficient than the systems we rely upon
today. We're already developing and maturing concepts, designs and
technology. And our design incorporates the ability for the CEV to evolve
as we expand our presence in space, ensuring that NASA will have a very
valuable, long-term asset for space exploration."

The teaming of these premier aerospace companies reaches across two
continents and builds upon their significant strengths and decades of
experience in large, complex systems integration, innovation and advanced
technology development, and operational reliability and performance - all of
which are vital to helping NASA achieve its goal of demonstrating a new CEV
by 2008 and an operational capability by 2014.

Lockheed Martin will lead the team as the system prime contractor. United
Space Alliance will draw upon its extensive experience in large, complex
systems integration, operation and maintenance of multi-purpose space
systems and reusable space launch systems, including the Shuttle and
numerous systems associated with NASA's human space flight program. EADS
SPACE Transportation provides its expertise in the design and development of
space transportation vehicles and manned space systems, together with its
long experience of international cooperation in manned space programs.
Orbital brings its strengths in integration of solid rocket motor systems
and significant experience with spacecraft and small launch vehicles.
Honeywell provides Integrated Systems Health Management (ISHM) technology,
which elevates crew autonomy and systems management to a new level, and will
provide avionics, guidance, navigation and control (GN&C), and mission and
ground systems support. Hamilton
Sundstrand provides its expertise in the design, manufacture and servicing
of Space Environmental Control and Life Support Systems (ECLSS) and brings
over 40 years of technical experience from its key participation in every
major NASA human space program with Space Suits, critical Vehicle Life
Support, thermal control and power management systems.

"The Crew Exploration Vehicle will be a cornerstone asset in NASA's
overarching plan for space exploration and its success is a national
imperative," said John Karas, vice president of Space Exploration for
Lockheed Martin. "The combined talents, technical prowess and innovative
ideas that our companies have brought together for the CEV are already
yielding benefits to other space exploration capabilities that NASA needs
for the future."

Lockheed Martin Space Systems Company, headquartered near Denver, Colo., is
one of the major operating units of Lockheed Martin Corporation. Space
Systems Company designs, develops, tests and manufactures a variety of
advanced technology systems for space and defense. Chief products include
space launch systems, defense systems, interplanetary and science
spacecraft, spacecraft for commercial and government customers, fleet
ballistic missiles and missile defense systems.

Contact:
Joan Underwood, 303-971-7398; e-mail,

--

Jacques :-)

www.spacepatches.info

Lockheed: Perpetrated the 9-11 Attack on the USA Ping MHVW: VVF nomiation. Was Water: Free Energy * Astronomy Misc 885 April 30th 04 04:50 PM
Hoagland a fraud? * Policy 129 March 30th 04 06:20 AM
President Bush Announces New Vision for Space Exploration Program(Forwarded) Andrew Yee Astronomy Misc 0 January 14th 04 09:49 PM
Something more interesting for you to read! Greg Dortmond UK Astronomy 12 December 22nd 03 04:51 AM
Pre-Columbia Criticism of NASA's Safety Culture in the late 1990's Greg Kuperberg Space Shuttle 68 September 18th 03 02:35 PM