Lidl Skylux black tube = spectroscope

Old December 20th 05, 11:00 PM
nytecam[_1_] nytecam[_1_] is offline
Senior Member

Location: london-uk
Default Lidl Skylux black tube = spectroscope

With the Bresser Skylux scope bought last week at UK Lidl Stores came
a Barlow-like tube that isn't! It contains centrally a simple lens to
invert the view in lieu of an expensive erecting prism. By adding a slit
[razor blades] and trans grating converts it to a simple spectroscope as
posted at

http://www.astroman.fsnet.co.uk/rainbow2.htm

I've used a Rainbow Optics grating but a section from a transparent CD may serve as a grating.

Nytecam

Last edited by nytecam : December 20th 05 at 11:03 PM.

Old December 21st 05, 11:52 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

nytecam wrote:
With the Bresser Skylux scope bought last week at UK Lidl Stores came
a Barlow-like tube that isn't! It contains centrally a simple lens to
invert the view in lieu of an expensive erecting prism. By adding a
slit
[razor blades] and trans grating converts it to a simple spectroscope
as
posted at

http://www.astroman.fsnet.co.uk/rainbow2.htm

I've used a Rainbow Optics grating but a section from a transparent CD
may serve as a grating.

Nytecam

Hi Maurice,

Handy! It is similar to the setup I use with the Star Analyser, using an
eyepiece in place of the inverting lens and an adjustable slit from surplus
shed. It works quite well behind a telescope too
http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/...troscopy_4.htm

That is a nice comparison of efficiency on the same page too. The Star
Analyser looks similar to the Rainbow Optics grating in this respect.

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/...y_SA_blaze.htm

(Second hand reply I am afraid. Wanadoo still appear to be stopping me
seeing your posts to uksa I am afraid, though strangely not always to saa)

Robin

Old December 21st 05, 05:44 PM
nytecam[_1_] nytecam[_1_] is offline
Senior Member

Location: london-uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Leadbeater

nytecam wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the posting Robin - interesting data. Strange about posting origins - it's beyond my ken.

Nytecam
Old December 21st 05, 05:46 PM
nytecam[_1_] nytecam[_1_] is offline
Senior Member

Location: london-uk

[quote=L]Rubbing it in Nytecam! I went to Lidl but they were out of stock and
would not be getting more in!

Lawrence

Sorry about that Lawrence - called in again today and yes they're Lidl history.

Nytecam