the drive to explore

Old May 22nd 05, 04:12 AM
lclough

lclough wrote:

Stephen Horgan wrote:

We shall see if the Mars mission survives the political dance

required

to take it off the drawing board. In general, orbital space is

being

exploited on the back of real commercial activity in the provision

of

satellites.

If you mean the United States going to Mars, I would not bet on
this. A Mars drive will certainly not even begin in the next
decade, and probably will not happen in the lifetime of anyone
over forty. (My son may live to see it, but I will not.) The
US government is currently wallowing in stupendous debt, and
faces huge deficits in the not-distant future. To pry Mars
money away from the old folks' pensions, the collapsing
health-care system and the highway fund, a really cogent and
powerful reason will have to be presented.

Surrrrrrrrre. Just as "a really cogent and powerful reason" was
required to spend *hundreds of billions* on the newest Iraq War.

Of course there was in fact no cogent reason to go to Iraq. Why
do you think they had to lie? There are more weapons of mass
destruction in your local 7-11 than apparently there were in
Iraq. And the one about Iraq being behind 9-11 -- how many
Americans still believe that?

Brenda

--
---------
Brenda W. Clough

Recent short fiction: PARADOX, Autumn 2003
http://home.nyc.rr.com/paradoxmag//index.html

Upcoming short fiction in FIRST HEROES (TOR, May '04)
http://members.aol.com/wenamun/firstheroes.html

Old May 22nd 05, 05:12 AM

lclough wrote:
wrote:

lclough wrote:

Stephen Horgan wrote:

[...]

So, IOW, there was no cogent reason* to go to Iraq, and yet we have
spent hundreds of billions on it.

There are countless cogent reasons to go to space:

1) Provide a healthy outlet for the human urge to explore
2) Pursue the secrets of the universe, including possible alien life
3) Create new jobs and technological development
4) Provide a new frontier for pioneers
5) Develop access to vast material resources, far more than are
available on earth

etc.

People do have curiosity and an urge to explore. It's just that many
satisfy these urges with fantasy, and feel like they would never have a
*real* chance of going into space. To the average American, space is
something that "they" (a few experts) get to do. But this shouldn't be
mistaken for a lack of interest in space. If the average American
actually saw going into space as realistic path in his/her life, I
guarantee that there'd be even far more open interest in going.

*There were reasons, i.e., make a few corporations richer, feed the
military-industrial complex, provide an outlet for sadism, etc., but
they were *not* the reasons articulated to the American public.

Old May 22nd 05, 06:19 AM
Michael S. Schiffer

lclough wrote in
newsdOje.676$gl1.614@trnddc09:

Stephen Horgan wrote:

We shall see if the Mars mission survives the political dance
required to take it off the drawing board. In general, orbital
space is being exploited on the back of real commercial
activity in the provision of satellites.

If you mean the United States going to Mars, I would not bet on
this. A Mars drive will certainly not even begin in the next
decade, and probably will not happen in the lifetime of anyone
over forty. (My son may live to see it, but I will not.) The
US government is currently wallowing in stupendous debt, and
faces huge deficits in the not-distant future.

Though we landed on the Moon two and a half decades after our
public debt peaked at 120% of GDP; it's currently at about 60%, not
all that different from where it was when Kennedy aimed us at the
Moon. (Not that 60% is a good thing, by any means.) I'm not
expecting a crewed Mars mission any time soon-- we don't have the
motivation that drove the Space Race, and I don't see any prospect
of that changing, for better or worse-- but not because we couldn't
afford it in absolute terms.

Mike

--
Michael S. Schiffer, LHN, FCS

Old May 22nd 05, 06:31 AM

Hmm ... It appears that both sides are talking past each other. Of
course the urge to explore is a primal one. On a much lesser level,
many chocolate lovers have a strong and basic attachment to chocolate
as well. However, if chocolate cost a million dollars a pound people
would be satisfying other needs instead. The problem is not that the
drive is not real, but the fulfillment of the drive is so prohibitory
expensive, both in terms of dollars and personal risk. That
practically everything the nay-sayers point out is correct.

That being said, not everybody, not even every government official,
thinks in realpolitick terms and there will be Manned Mars Mission in
my lifetime. There is of course a very good realpolitick reason to
explore and that is the same reason why a nation as poor on a per
capita basis as China is willing to lose billions to hold the Olympics
in Beijing. Status. Any conspicuous display of
consumption/achievement implies your nation has confidence to burn.

Lastly I would point out that the environments that are left to explore
(such as the deep ocean floor and Mars) are so hostile to human life,
that they have already been explored -- by unmanned probes. And in
the case of Mars it is a bleak frozen Desert. The biggest psychological
obstacle to a manned mission to Mars is the urge to explore itself.
The scientists have already satisfied most of the urge. Think about it;
most people do not think that the astronaut will actual find anything
or do anything besides plant a flag and go home. Where is the
exploration in that? And if you can't name the benefits of course
everybody else is going to name the costs.

Old May 22nd 05, 07:03 AM
Sydney Webb

lclough wrote:

[deletia]

Hi Brenda. How's it going? Nice weather for this time of year wouldn't
you say?

This thread has grown to a surprising length, a thread that seems to
have nothing to do with alternative history. If you and the other
participants were considering taking it further, it would be a kindness
if you checked the headers and only posted to the appropriate group.

[follow-ups set]

- Syd
Old May 22nd 05, 07:53 AM

lclough wrote:
wrote:

Otherwise, why would embittered clowns like yourself have to

spend
so
many hours trying to refute the obvious?

Historically, there are only three engines that drive
exploration.

Right, just those three motivations; that's all! Personal glory, a
sense of excitement, adventure, and wonder, the search for knowledge,
exploration for its own sake, etc., *never* enter into it. Nevermind
that many explorers themselves speak of these motivations; they must
all be lying, just so your nonsense can be true. Nevermind that
virtually every child I've ever seen explores *everything* out of a
sheer sense of wonder; they don't count. We're all just like you; we
grow up and completely bury that sense of wonder. Yeah, right.

I just want to emphasize that I'm astounded an apparent *scifi

author*
could pretend that the human drive to explore does not exist. People
open their wallets to buy your books *because* of this very drive.
However, considering that you not only lack a sense of wonder but
project the same failing upon all humanity, your books must be pretty
disappointing. Count me out as a potential customer.

Take a look at what most of those sf stories are about. Star Trek and
Star Wars are about magic technology, other habitable worlds and
civilizations with light years between. There is precious little
realistic space sf because there is no market. True space stories
don't sell well either. I don't think Jim Oberg has ever made the best
seller list, but he ought to have if space exploration were really a
popular interest. How many followed the Apollo landings after Buzz and
Neil landed?
A bigger space telescope, rovers on the moon with HD cameras, asteroid
hoppers with laser spectrometers, a mars driller, a saturn ring
explorer that orbits within the ring and cameras that orbit earth and
take video from an angle, not just straight down, these machines can
explore more effectively and at lower cost than a human in a space
suit, and the experience can be shared by all humanity.

Old May 22nd 05, 09:24 AM

lclough wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Do you have any evidence that Star Trekkish technology could never
exist? Technology tends to advance over time, in case you've never
noticed. The more we do things in space, the faster space tech will
advance. Even with present (or hell, 1970s) technology, we can build
Orion style spaceships that can traverse the solar system at decent
speeds. We already can make antimatter and contain it. Why are you so
pessimistic about the possibilities?

There is precious little
realistic space sf because there is no market.

Not true. There's a lot of "hard" sf and it's discussed right in these
groups.

True space stories
don't sell well either.

Tell that to the hard sf authors who make a comfortable living.

I don't think Jim Oberg has ever made the best
seller list, but he ought to have if space exploration were really a
popular interest. How many followed the Apollo landings after Buzz

and
Neil landed?

It's a popular interest, but since so many people feel they can never
personally explore space, they often get disillusioned with the real
space program. They turn to sci-fi/fantasy to slake their curiosity
regarding the unknown. Once the space program is sufficiently developed
that more than a few "experts" can participate directly, the popular
interest will be much more evident.

A bigger space telescope, rovers on the moon with HD cameras,

asteroid
hoppers with laser spectrometers, a mars driller, a saturn ring
explorer that orbits within the ring and cameras that orbit earth and
take video from an angle, not just straight down, these machines can
explore more effectively and at lower cost than a human in a space
suit, and the experience can be shared by all humanity.

More effectively is nonsense; they don't have the ingenuity and
flexibility of a human. But most importantly, they can't bring the
visceral experience of actually *being there*. Humans have a drive to
explore, and repressing this can only lead to stagnation.