Magellanic Clouds question

Old October 5th 03, 07:54 PM
Ron Miller

Default Magellanic Clouds question

I'm working on an illustration of the Milky Galaxy seen from some
considerable distance away. I have the relative positions of the LMC and
SMC, but I need to know what their orbits are relative to the plane of the
galaxy. That is, how much are their orbits tipped to the plane?

Thanks in advance,
RM

Old October 5th 03, 08:24 PM
Ron Miller

"Ron Miller" wrote in message
I'm working on an illustration of the Milky Galaxy seen from some
considerable distance away. I have the relative positions of the LMC and
SMC, but I need to know what their orbits are relative to the plane of the
galaxy. That is, how much are their orbits tipped to the plane?

Thanks in advance,
RM

I think I may have answered my own question. If I know that the orbit of the
two clouds is nearly circular and more or less centered on the center of the
Milky Way, and I know what the position of the clouds is in relation to the
galaxy, then I know how much the orbit is tilted... Right?

RM

Old October 5th 03, 08:59 PM
Greg Neill

"Ron Miller" wrote in message

"Ron Miller" wrote in message
I'm working on an illustration of the Milky Galaxy seen from some
considerable distance away. I have the relative positions of the LMC and
SMC, but I need to know what their orbits are relative to the plane of the
galaxy. That is, how much are their orbits tipped to the plane?

Thanks in advance,
RM

I think I may have answered my own question. If I know that the orbit of the
two clouds is nearly circular and more or less centered on the center of the
Milky Way, and I know what the position of the clouds is in relation to the
galaxy, then I know how much the orbit is tilted... Right?

You have a radius but not a velocity (direction). You're still
missing some information for determining the orbital plane.

Old October 5th 03, 09:12 PM
Bill Nunnelee

Yes, if they were circular. But I think you'll find that their orbits are
constantly evolving due to gravitational interactions. Eventually, they'll
merge with the Milky Way. I was unable to quickly locate a good chart or
animation illustrating this though.

Old October 5th 03, 09:15 PM
Phyloe

I love the SMC and LMC. I wonder why they are not shaped like the classic
image of a galaxy? They are literally cloud shaped and not round and
spiraled. Does anyone out there think the Milky Way might someday absorb
them? Are they close enough?
Our first proof of intelligent life will come from the SMC by the way.
Phyloe

Old October 5th 03, 09:24 PM
Bill Nunnelee

This site has some interesting information about the chaotic nature of the
Local Group's history, but it primarily concentrates on the major members.

http://www.seds.org/messier/more/lg-dyn.html

link.net...