Shuttle re entry simulation software?

Old October 13th 03, 04:51 PM
Christopher

Default Shuttle re entry simulation software?

Does anyone know the name of the software package(s) that is used by
NASA to simulate the differnt areas of heat that the shuttle
experiences during re-entry?

The software package(s) I mean is the one that engineers use to
simulate differnt areas on an air-craft/shuttle by having a simulated
air flow round a 3D wire image with filled polygons, and with the
differnt areas show up in differnt colours depending on the air
friction temperature on the vehicle's surface, the same software can
also be used for simulated engine running to show hot and cold parts
of an engine that is generated in the computers memory.

I do CAD of vehicles in my spare time and have them as 3D images, and
would like to simulate how they would react in a simulated airflow at
varing speeds. Note: I only have a PC all-be-it quite a powerful one,
so any software that is used on a Cray wouldn't be much good for my
little PC.

Thanks in advance.

Christopher
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
"Kites rise highest against
the wind - not with it."
Winston Churchill
Old October 13th 03, 05:49 PM
Dick Morris

Christopher wrote:

[...]

MINIVER and LAURA are two of the more commonly used programs.

Thanks in advance.

Christopher
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
"Kites rise highest against
the wind - not with it."
Winston Churchill

Old October 13th 03, 06:34 PM
Dick Morris

Dick Morris wrote:

Christopher wrote:

[...]

MINIVER: NASA CR-172212

LAURA: NASA TM-4674

Thanks in advance.

Christopher
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
"Kites rise highest against
the wind - not with it."
Winston Churchill

Old October 14th 03, 03:42 PM
Christopher

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 17:34:57 GMT, Dick Morris
wrote:

Dick Morris wrote:

Christopher wrote:

[...]

Thank you. I'll check on their prices tommorow, hope the packages are
not to expensive.

Christopher
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
"Kites rise highest against
the wind - not with it."
Winston Churchill
Old October 14th 03, 05:38 PM
Dick Morris

wrote:

Dick Morris wrote:

Christopher wrote:

[...]

Before you lay out any money, check the documentation to be sure you can
use them on your machine. Let me know how you come out.

Christopher
"Kites rise highest against
the wind - not with it."
Winston Churchill