Sirius-B

Old February 13th 04, 09:26 PM
starman

Default Sirius-B

How many of you have seen Sirius-B at some time in your life? The period
is about 50-years with the separation last being the greatest in 1975.
It's currently about 6" (arc-sec) and slowly increasing since the year
2000 but Sirius-B is much fainter than Sirius (A), making it a
challenging double. What size scope might reveal it now? Have any of you
tried the 'wall' method described on the following website?

http://www.cloudynights.com/Observation/siriusb.htm

Old February 13th 04, 11:03 PM
Rod Mollise

What size scope might reveal it now? Have any of you
tried the 'wall' method described on the following website?

Hi:

It is currently fairly "easy" with my C11, given high magnification and good
seeing.

Peace,
Rod Mollise
Like SCTs and MCTs?
Check-out sct-user, the mailing list for CAT fanciers!
Goto http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index.html

Old February 13th 04, 11:21 PM
Chris1011

How many of you have seen Sirius-B at some time in your life? The period
is about 50-years with the separation last being the greatest in 1975.
It's currently about 6" (arc-sec) and slowly

Saw it last year at the Florida Star Party in my 10" Mak and a 7" F9 AP
StarFire refractor. It was no problem to see it.

RC

Old February 14th 04, 12:30 AM
MHochuli

Very easy in my new Tasco 4.5" f/8 reflector. The year: 1970.
Coincidentally, that turned out to be about the best year for seeing it.

MH

Old February 14th 04, 12:30 AM
MHochuli

Old February 14th 04, 01:47 AM
WayneH

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 16:26:07 -0500, starman wrote:

How many of you have seen Sirius-B at some time in your life?

Clearly split Sirius and the "Pup" several times in the period
1972-74, with a variety of instruments. Easiest with a 12½" Cave from
my driveway in Anaheim, CA. I remember a night of excellent seeing
when the split was obvious through a Cave 6".

Wayne Hoffman
33° 49" 17' N 117° 56" 41' W
"Don't Look Down"

http://home.pacbell.net/w6wlr/