credit crunch telescope bargains!!!

Old February 8th 09, 12:26 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
cambs

Default credit crunch telescope bargains!!!

any bargain out there? ive not seen much yet

Old February 8th 09, 01:58 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Ash Udanovich

"cambs" wrote in message
any bargain out there? ive not seen much yet

Just what were you expecting to find? Here's how I find that it's working
right now:

A typical high end telescope owner (of say a 10" SCT or higher on a premium
mount) is also typically in the upper middle class to low end rich income
bracket. These types of folks are least hurting overall in this shaky
economy and many in fact are benefiting from it (of course, I'm sure others
will aggressively debate this but that's how I see it). Therefore, you
won't find many bargains unless you happen to run into the same sort of
person who bought the $500K house and ended up going belly up when the banks
did. There are a few around if you look.

Good luck,
Ash

Old February 8th 09, 02:06 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jason Mozilla

"Ash Udanovich" wrote in message
"cambs" wrote in message
any bargain out there? ive not seen much yet

Just what were you expecting to find? Here's how I find that it's working
right now:

A typical high end telescope owner (of say a 10" SCT or higher on a
premium mount) is also typically in the upper middle class to low end rich
income bracket. These types of folks are least hurting overall in this
shaky economy and many in fact are benefiting from it (of course, I'm sure
others will aggressively debate this but that's how I see it). Therefore,
you won't find many bargains unless you happen to run into the same sort
of person who bought the $500K house and ended up going belly up when the
banks did. There are a few around if you look.

Just wanted to add that I basically agree with Ash especially with the last
part. Remember, when the banks had their false sense of security, they were
making loans to just about anyone for anything as long as they could walk.
This would include scopes too.

Those having the scopes through normal means tend to ask higher second hand
prices, no matter what (especially if they are in the income brackets Ash
mentioned). Just to find out how it works, try listing a scope on
Astromart. Then, list the same scope at the same price on Ebay. I bet the
Ebay one will sell first. Folks tend to be tighter on Astromart because
they're in a more exclusive income bracket whereas on Ebay anything goes.
Therefore, you'll have a tougher time selling at the price you want on
Astromart and also buying because there will be less negotiation.

-Jason Mozilla

Old February 9th 09, 01:35 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Rich[_4_]

"cambs" wrote in news:ecAjl.4301$Cr4.2836
@newsfe26.ams2:

any bargain out there? ive not seen much yet

Check William Optics. They've had some good sales.
Old February 11th 09, 03:44 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Tracer

On Feb 8, 4:26*am, "cambs" wrote:
any bargain out there? ive not seen much yet

While it certainly isn't "distressed" pricing, OpticsPlanet.net has a
5% discount coupon that is good on most purchases. They have regular
discount prices that seem to be as good as anyone''s, plus free
shipping, plus another 5% off with the coupon code " opiv5of "

At least the coupon worked for me last week.
Old February 14th 09, 02:39 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

any bargain out there? ive not seen much yet

It depends what you want too. For instance a high end APO would be
tough to get a deal on (new). AP, TEC, TAK don't keep a lot of
inventory so even if they went belly up there would not be much
bargain inventory to dispose of. You need Meade to go bankrupt or one
the retailers like Astronomics that has decent inventory to get a fire
sale.

Smaller scopes like the 80mm APO's and such are more in inventory and
are more likely to be had at a bargain.

Alvan Clark