"The Effects of Nuclear Weapons"

Old June 1st 04, 03:00 AM
Scott Hedrick

I got a blast out of my copy.

Old June 1st 04, 06:36 AM
OM

On Mon, 31 May 2004 17:06:43 -0500, Pat Flannery
wrote:

James Nicoll wrote:

Unless you have one like mine, which comes with the Nuclear
Effects circular slide rule in the back pocket.

...and I assume you immediately did what I did; crank it all the way to
the top (20 megatons, IIRC) and set the burst height at zero to see just
how big of a crater you could make. What was that again? Around 400 feet
deep?

....Which, depending on the location, would pretty much guarantee water
table contamination on a total, long-term basis.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old June 1st 04, 07:46 AM
Pat Flannery

OM wrote:

...Which, depending on the location, would pretty much guarantee water
table contamination on a total, long-term basis.

Not to mention a fair degree of fallout contamination from the earth in
the crater being blown into the atmosphere.

Pat

Old June 1st 04, 10:34 AM
bob haller

Not to mention a fair degree of fallout contamination from the earth in
the crater being blown into the atmosphere.

Pat

Sadly our practical knowledge base will likely improve when a terrorist
detonates a nuclear bomb in a big city
HAVE A GREAT DAY!
Old June 1st 04, 11:36 AM
OM

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 01:46:00 -0500, Pat Flannery
wrote:

OM wrote:
...Which, depending on the location, would pretty much guarantee water
table contamination on a total, long-term basis.

Not to mention a fair degree of fallout contamination from the earth in
the crater being blown into the atmosphere.

....Think _The Pat_, Pitt. Er, I mean _The Pitt_, Pat :-) :-)

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old June 1st 04, 07:36 PM
Greg Campbell

Peter Stickney wrote:

Naw - if it's really good, you toss a bit of grass/paper in the air
when you see the flash, measure its displacement when the shock hits
by eye, and do it in your head. While keeping ahead of the crowd, as
in "If you see me running, try to keep up."

(Worked for Ed Teller at Alamagordo. And not only was he faster than
the Data Reduction folks with all their slide rules & Analyzers, he
was more accurate, as well.)

I've read in several books that it was Fermi with the bits of paper. Of
course Teller probably stole the idea and claimed it as his own...

-Greg

Old June 2nd 04, 05:47 AM
JASON A. KAATZ

Dr. Teller would not steal anything. If it were someone's else's idea he
would say so out front. You obviously know nothing about the mans character
and credibility.

Old June 2nd 04, 03:47 PM
OM

On 2 Jun 2004 06:31:21 -0700, (stmx3) wrote:

As others have said...it was Fermi, and problems like this became
known as Fermip problems.

....So, are these anything like a Bunyip problem?

OM

--

"No ******* ever won a war by dying for |
http://www.io.com/~o_m