[OT] Peacekeeper Launch from Vandenberg

Old July 23rd 04, 02:13 AM
Chris S

Default [OT] Peacekeeper Launch from Vandenberg

"scurry" wrote in message
Chris S wrote:
Maybe I'll get to see another some day. :-)

Lets hope not in anger.

shawn

Amen to that...

Old July 23rd 04, 08:08 AM
Mike Simmons

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 07:23:45 GMT, Phil Wheeler wrote:

Mike Simmons wrote:

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 01:05:39 GMT, Chris S
wrote:

I saw one from 1 mile down range back in 1992. I worked on the
Minuteman
III and just so happened to be present for a Peacekeeper launch. Very
impressive stuff and I remember it just as you described. The one cool
thing I did get to see was the missile exit the launch tube and light
the
first stage because we had a downhill vantage point to the launch
facility.

Maybe I'll get to see another some day. :-)

There's a Minuteman III scheduled to launch Friday morning with a
six-hour launch window opening at 1:01 AM.

PDT?

Yes, PDT. Sorry 'bout that.

For the latest publicly available information on the launch schedule and
more on the launches, go to:
http://www.spacearchive.info

Mike Simmons

Old July 23rd 04, 08:10 AM
Mike Simmons

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 09:17:07 -0700, Alexander Avtanski
wrote:

Yes, I also think that should've been the spent stage - I was
able to see it tumbling for about 30 sec in the same FOV as the
missile (I was using 8x35 binoculars) and it was flashing
exactly as Brian describes. The missile itself continued steady
for about 30 seconds after I lost the spent stage and then seemed
to turn off quite abruptly. I guess this was the "coast" phase
of the flight, right?

Gosh, I hope so! :-) That's my guess as well. From where I was it went
from very bright to invisible in a few seconds. It must be fourth (final)
stage cut-off.

Mike Simmons

Old July 23rd 04, 09:24 AM
Skywise

"Chris S" wrote in news:JCZLc.90815$iJ4.13369
@twister.nyroc.rr.com:

"scurry" wrote in message
Chris S wrote:
Maybe I'll get to see another some day. :-)

Lets hope not in anger.

shawn

Amen to that...

Having an interest in nuclear testing history, I am reminded of
Dominic Frigate Bird. This was a full test of a Polaris missile
launched from a submarine with a live warhead, the only such
test by the US of a complete weapons package.

http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Usa/...ml#FrigateBird

Brian
--
http://home.earthlink.net/~skywise71...ics/laser.html