PN Abell 80

Old April 5th 15, 07:45 AM
WA0CKY WA0CKY is offline
Senior Member

Default PN Abell 80

The planetary nebula Abell 80, AKA PN G102.8-05.0, is located in Lacerta. The only distance estimate I found for it puts it at 1.9 kpc (6,200 light-years). http://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu//...00624.000.html Visually it is very faint with reports of seeing it in a 16 being about a 50-50 deal. While it is often described as being a ring I get more of a sense of a cylinder tilted downward (north up). This would explain why the sides are strong but the top and bottom rather weak. Also the weak top and bottom areas are about the same length as the bright side regions.

Color images I found on the net failed to show the very faint, very blue, central star. Most likely because they used H alpha for the luminance data. This one was so faint I did have to augment the image with H alpha data but I used only LRGB data for the stars in order to not lose the central star. The center hole has a slight blue cast probably due to OIII emission that is often seen in the center of ring planetaries. Not having an OIII filter I can't say for sure.

14" LX200R @ f/10, Ha=3x30' L=4x10' RGB=2x10', STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PNABELL80HA3X30L4X10RGB2X10R-CROP1336.JPG
Views:	384
Size:	325.0 KB
ID:	5617  Click image for larger version

Name:	PNABELL80HA3X30L4X10RGB2X10R-CROP.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	237.1 KB
ID:	5618
Old April 8th 15, 09:51 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

this PN looks like a 3D band winding through space in your image.
It is on my list but it looks like I have not imaged it so far.

Stefan

(6,200 light-years). http://tinyurl.com/n3c5sdq Visually it is very

--
WA0CKY