Mars, TMB 115/800, questions...

Old July 16th 03, 03:25 AM
TMBack

Default Mars, TMB 115/800, questions...

Pierre,

- two barlows stacked, the TMB is definitely not
designed for planetary work

I assure you it is. From whom did you buy your TMB
apochromat from?

Thomas Back
TMB Optical

Old July 16th 03, 02:46 PM
Pierre Vandevenne

"Markus Ludes" wrote in
news:8e2ab97afaebae9aac99e0916425e569.30545@mygate .mailgate.org:

the used barlowlenses are chunk.

It's a televue and a celestron ultima. I understand it is not ideal to
stack them - any suggestion of a better product?

how are the single eyepiece visual views compare to your images ?

They are somewhat less detailed (at least smaller and detail is harder to
distinguish) actually and turbulence is high, that is normal given the
altitude and Belgium...

--
Pierre Vandevenne - DataRescue - www.datarescue.com
Home of the IDA Pro Disassembler - leader in hostile code analysis
Old July 16th 03, 02:58 PM
TMBack

Pierre,

Well, it is a nice scope and performs well for its
diameter, but at f7 is not what I'd call an ideal planetary
scope.

There is nothing inherent about an f/7 system that
makes it any less ideal for planetary work. I'm sure
the Newtonian people will agree with me on that one,
and anyone that is happy with their refractors that are
f/7 or faster.

on planets, it is not that obvious.

You might be expecting to much out of 4.5" of aperture.

I am, s usual, willing to be educated, any link to nice
Mars images taken with 4 to 6 inch refractors?

There are many. Your one image of Mars, the "over-
processed" one, is not bad, considering your latitude,
and using a 4.5" telescope. If you want to image the
planets with world class results, think about 10" to
16" of aperture.

Do you think replacing the stacked 2x and 3x barlows
with a 5x barlow is worth the effort?

Yes, I think that would help, and a lot of effort. Great
imaging takes real work, and good luck with seeing.

Thomas Back
Old July 16th 03, 03:52 PM
Ron B[ee]

"TMBack" wrote in message
Pierre,

You might be expecting to much out of 4.5" of aperture.
Thomas Back

Here's an image of Mars through the 100mm TMB f/8.
(Yes, you read that right - 4 inch ;-). Umm, I wonder who
makes that scope ;-).
http://panther-observatory.com/planet.htm#33 (scroll down to the bottom)

Stunning is not an adequate word to describe, IMO! Johannes
is truly one of the most highly skilled small scope master imager!

Ron the 4-inch Tall Evangelist B[ee]

Old July 16th 03, 06:54 PM
Pierre Vandevenne

(TMBack) wrote in news:20030716100905.14587.00000012@mb-
m04.aol.com:

Hmmm, btw this is the second time you ask that
question.

Not on s.a.a.

Yes.

The reason why I ask this question is
because any time a person has a problem with a
TMB apochromatic refractor, I want, and everyone
else to know that it didn't go through the QC at TMB
Optical.

Hmmmm, this statement seems a bit strange to me. It is still sold as a
TMB right? If some TMBs are more equal than others, I think it should be
made clear.

You previously suggested that I had bought that tube
second hand.

I did no such thing.

Quoting from Mai 29th, in this very newsgroup.

-
Pierre,

I've just received a TMB 115/805, "Vixen Tube",
Feathertouch focuser, lens number 81 and I have a
problem that is either due to my own stupidity or to a
severe mixup (let's hope it is the first): I basically
can't focus.

The telescope is used, and the original owner bought
the TMB 115mm f/7 from Markus Ludes. Is that correct?
-

performace. But have you star tested it? Is the Airy disk
perfectly round, and is there no sign of any significant
aberrations?

It's OK, no obvious flaws so far. I am sure I'll make a couple of web
pages with my findings when I can document them objectively enough and
when I feel confident I have understood all the issues.

Old July 16th 03, 07:52 PM
Dan Chaffee

"Ron B[ee]" wrote in message news:CEdRa.788$ff.545@fed1read01...

Here's an image of Mars through the 100mm TMB f/8.
(Yes, you read that right - 4 inch ;-). Umm, I wonder who
makes that scope ;-).
http://panther-observatory.com/planet.htm#33 (scroll down to the bottom)

Stunning is not an adequate word to describe, IMO! Johannes
is truly one of the most highly skilled small scope master imager!

Actually, that's about what I'd expect to see under those conditions
with either a 4" refractor or a 4.25" newtonian at that cycle
of the apparition. I'd expect more in better seeing with that aperture.

Dan Chaffee
Old July 16th 03, 10:10 PM
TMBack

I've just received a TMB 115/805, "Vixen Tube",
Feathertouch focuser, lens number 81 and I have a
problem that is either due to my own stupidity or to a
severe mixup (let's hope it is the first): I basically
can't focus.

The telescope is used, and the original owner bought
the TMB 115mm f/7 from Markus Ludes. Is that
correct?

Okay, I thought you asked the question on the TMB
Group, my mistake. But my point is still valid that
you didn't purchase the telescope from TMB
Optical.

Thomas Back
Old July 16th 03, 11:27 PM

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 07:52:31 -0700, "Ron B[ee]"
wrote:

"TMBack" wrote in message
Pierre,

You might be expecting to much out of 4.5" of aperture.
Thomas Back

Here's an image of Mars through the 100mm TMB f/8.
(Yes, you read that right - 4 inch ;-). Umm, I wonder who
makes that scope ;-).
http://panther-observatory.com/planet.htm#33 (scroll down to the bottom)

Stunning is not an adequate word to describe, IMO! Johannes
is truly one of the most highly skilled small scope master imager!

Ron the 4-inch Tall Evangelist B[ee]

Pretty clear from that that a nice, big SCT or Newtonian are still the
very best choices for planets. But in regard to the first poster's
pictures, it's obvious that the low altitude of the planet and
the change in focus of the colours due to that is what caused
the "chromatic aberration" seen in the picture.
-Rich
Old July 17th 03, 02:20 AM
Pierre Vandevenne

(TMBack) wrote in news:20030716171051.02346.00000046@mb-
m21.aol.com:

Okay, I thought you asked the question on the TMB
Group, my mistake.

Sure NP.

But my point is still valid that
you didn't purchase the telescope from TMB
Optical.

Are some TMBs more equal than others? ;-)

Old July 17th 03, 08:29 PM
Leela

Are some TMBs more equal than others? ;-)

Answer #1:
No..... TMB lenses are all 95% Strehl.

Answer #2:
Yes... The scopes sold by Thomas Back or Astronomics in the USA include their
unfailing
support.

Thomas Backs questioning you stems from the fact that he is not sole supplier
of all telescopes with TMB lenses in them. It is analogous to me asking a Saab
dealer to support my Saturn because it has a Saab manufactured engine in it. A
pure losing proposition for Saab, especially if they are as busy as Thomas Back
is.

Thomas simply must spend his time supporting his customers, not Markus Ludes
customers. Markus and APM can provide excellent support for them.

Thomas Back never saw the scope you are handling, he cant vouch for any
characteristic of your scope.

Leela