"Marooned" horrific inaccuracies....?!

Old October 9th 03, 11:25 AM
wassup

Default "Marooned" horrific inaccuracies....?!

Why was the Service Module shortened for the movie?

The film was printed with the wrong lens. The movie projector lens would make
the frame wider.

Old October 18th 03, 11:17 PM
dave schneider

(Mike Flugennock) wrote:
Talk about _egregious_ inaccuracies! Take a look at
http://www.cloudster.com/Sets&Vehicl.../mapollo06.jpg

...on the Marooned! page at
http://www.cloudster.com/Sets&Vehicl...aroonedTop.htm

No wonder Richard Crenna's character dies on EVA! He's got no goddamn'
_gloves_ on in this shot!

And, don't even get me started about the placement of the RCS thrusters in
http://www.cloudster.com/Sets&Vehicl.../mapollo04.jpg

...hey, burp those pitch jets a bit, willya?

I've never been able to bring myself to watch the mooovie, because --
being a Caidin fan in those days -- I'd read the paperback, and just
couldn't accept the idea of anything other than a Mercury capsule
being rescued by a Gemini.

/dps
Old October 19th 03, 10:42 AM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , dave
schneider writes
(Mike Flugennock) wrote:
Talk about _egregious_ inaccuracies! Take a look at
http://www.cloudster.com/Sets&Vehicl.../mapollo06.jpg

...on the Marooned! page at
http://www.cloudster.com/Sets&Vehicl...aroonedTop.htm

No wonder Richard Crenna's character dies on EVA! He's got no goddamn'
_gloves_ on in this shot!

And, don't even get me started about the placement of the RCS thrusters in
http://www.cloudster.com/Sets&Vehicl.../mapollo04.jpg

...hey, burp those pitch jets a bit, willya?

I've never been able to bring myself to watch the mooovie, because --
being a Caidin fan in those days -- I'd read the paperback, and just
couldn't accept the idea of anything other than a Mercury capsule
being rescued by a Gemini.

I think the original version is the stronger book, but I also think that
a film has to look forward rather than look back, unless you're doing an
"Apollo 13" and recreating a triumph, and achieving tension even though
we know they came home. In 1969 Apollo was already becoming boring.

I've just noticed that the flyleaf note refers to
"The men of Marooned
James Pruett He was threatened with the loneliest death any man has ever
had."
But in the film he isn't alone.
--
"It is written in mathematical language"
Old October 25th 03, 03:45 PM
Dennis

On 18 Oct 2003 15:17:05 -0700, (dave schneider)
wrote:

(Mike Flugennock) wrote:
Talk about _egregious_ inaccuracies! Take a look at
http://www.cloudster.com/Sets&Vehicl.../mapollo06.jpg

...on the Marooned! page at
http://www.cloudster.com/Sets&Vehicl...aroonedTop.htm

No wonder Richard Crenna's character dies on EVA! He's got no goddamn'
_gloves_ on in this shot!

And, don't even get me started about the placement of the RCS thrusters in
http://www.cloudster.com/Sets&Vehicl.../mapollo04.jpg

...hey, burp those pitch jets a bit, willya?

I've never been able to bring myself to watch the mooovie, because --
being a Caidin fan in those days -- I'd read the paperback, and just
couldn't accept the idea of anything other than a Mercury capsule
being rescued by a Gemini.

/dps

Hmmmm, I have a copy of that version buried somewhere in my
collection of stuff.
Still thinking of making a model of the XRV for something different.
Old October 26th 03, 06:14 AM
Pat Flannery

Dennis wrote:

Hmmmm, I have a copy of that version buried somewhere in my
collection of stuff.
Still thinking of making a model of the XRV for something different.

It looked like a fairly reasonable design (a lot like a Dyna-Soar); I
wonder if the orange/red coloration was meant to represent that pinkish
spray-on ablator like they used on the X-15?

Pat

Old October 26th 03, 05:36 PM
Dennis

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 00:14:11 -0500, Pat Flannery
wrote:

Dennis wrote:

Hmmmm, I have a copy of that version buried somewhere in my
collection of stuff.
Still thinking of making a model of the XRV for something different.

It looked like a fairly reasonable design (a lot like a Dyna-Soar); I
wonder if the orange/red coloration was meant to represent that pinkish
spray-on ablator like they used on the X-15?

Pat

Probably more like a different color in regards to the Soviet and
American movie mock-ups. Can't have too much grey in a black
background because it would be too boring colorwise.
But still, it would be neat to build one and place it on the
model-club monthly meeting table for something different, right
next to the rocket/jet plane from the Humphrey Bogart movie
Chain Lighting.
Oh yeah, I can see it now.........