M33

Old October 31st 16, 11:29 PM
slilge slilge is offline
Senior Member

Default M33

The fast Celestron RASA scope plus the new colour camera (ASI1600MC cool) gives me an excuse to image well known objects.
Actually this OSC image of M33 is better than an image I got some years ago under rural skies with my old Atik 383 black and white camera (KAF8300) but with a smallish 120mm refractor.

Taken from Berlin with a Celestron RASA, G11 mount, ASI 1600MC cool camera, 289x1 minute.

Stefan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M33-289x1cropgut.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	6429
Old November 6th 16, 11:35 PM
WA0CKY WA0CKY is offline
Senior Member

That camera is sure catching on. How do you like it. Some have banding issues at higher f ratios. Good match for the scope? Stacking so many short exposures is a bit daunting to me. I rarely stack more than 10 and usually 4 or 2. My machine may choke to death on that much data.

Good image for your LP conditions! While a OSC have you tried Ha? Sounds like it might work with it after throwing green and blue out.

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by slilge View Post

Old November 9th 16, 11:32 PM
slilge slilge is offline
Senior Member

Rick,

I am very pleased with the performance of both the colour and mono versions of the ASI1600 cameras. The colour ASI is a perfect match for a Hyperstar/RASA setup.
I have only encountered banding once when I was doing one second exposures with the wrong setting for "USB speed". When used with the default values I did not see any banding.
Fortunately AstroArt is very fast, it takes about two seconds per image for 16MP colour frames (including full calibration, debayering, hot pixel filter and registering) during preprocessing. If I use sigma stacking that about doubles total preprocessing time, but still not too bad.
Compared to the time I have to spend to cope with light pollution gradients the time for preprocessing is neglegible.

Stefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WA0CKY View Post