Linux and astrophotography

Old March 23rd 06, 09:24 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,sci.astro.ccd-imaging

Default Linux and astrophotography

I'm in the process of de-Windozing my observatory - Linux is just more
flexible for what I need.

Things I use:

starcharts and planetarium - xephem (www.clearskyinstitute.com)
INDI to connect xephem to telescope
xawtv and a bt848 based video capture card

Mel Bartel's wonderful (DOS based) stepper drive software to drive the
scope.
ntp and an old Trimble GPS to get a local clock good to 10 us.

I'm currently developing Linux code to hook my Artemis camera into INDI.
Other cameras already have drivers.

If you want serious-grade image processing, look for the starlink software
(oh, it does take 1900 MBytes to compile it...)

ds9 is a nice FITS image viewer

There are plenty of astronomical components for Linux - you may have to do
some work to glue them together, but you then get a system you understand
well

Clear skies

--David