TOTALLY Saw Great Heidinger's "Brushes" This Afternoon

Old December 19th 04, 07:21 PM
Fleetie

Default TOTALLY Saw Great Heidinger's "Brushes" This Afternoon

Wow!

Perfect seeing conditions at sunset in Manchester this afternoon! (If
you'll forgive the verbless "sentence".)

Looked up and there it was in all its glory! The sky was perfectly clear
and blue almost everywhere, though there was some haze nearer the horizon.

Up overhead the "brush" was very clearly visible. And it seems to be
true that away from the sun, the yellowish bow-tie points towards the
sun, but nearer to the sun, it's at right angles to that direction. I
was pleased that I managed to see that.

I feel satisfied.

Martin
--
M.A.Poyser Tel.: 07967 110890
Manchester, U.K. http://www.fleetie.demon.co.uk

Old December 20th 04, 04:01 PM
Alan

I came across this effect quite recently, and discovered that I can see it
on any white space on my LCD computer monitor. However, it exhibits
confusing behaviour. If I rotate my head slowly to the right (i.e.
clockwise) around an axis connecting the back of my head to my nose, I see
the yellow smudges fixed relative to the computer screen and aligned to 1
o'clock - 7 o'clock. If I rotate my head slowly the other way, ditto but
aligned to 8 o'clock- 2 o'clock. If I keep my head still, the brus fades
away (presumably due to colour fatigue). So the brush is fixed relative to
the screen, backing up the idea that it is fixed relative to polarisation,
but I can see it in either of two positions at 90 degrees to each other,
*not* consistent with it being reliably aligned to *one of* either the
polarisation of the E-field or H-field vectors.

Old December 20th 04, 04:03 PM
Alan

P.S. just realised that these orientations (which are approximate) aren't
separated by 90 degrees !

Old December 21st 04, 05:58 PM
Jo

In ,
Alan typed:
I came across this effect quite recently, and discovered that I can
see it on any white space on my LCD computer monitor. However, it

I have been trying it with a polarising filter in front of a CRT monitor
displaying a white screen and can clearly see it, especially when I rotate
the filter. With the filter stationary it fades away. Haven't seen it "in
the wild" yet.

Jo

Old December 21st 04, 08:18 PM
Fleetie

Isn't it spelt "Haidinger"?

Yes. I was typing in a hurry before.

Martin

Old December 21st 04, 08:20 PM
Fleetie

"Jo" wrote
In ,
Alan typed:
I came across this effect quite recently, and discovered that I can
see it on any white space on my LCD computer monitor. However, it

I have been trying it with a polarising filter in front of a CRT monitor displaying a white screen and can clearly see it,
especially when I rotate the filter. With the filter stationary it fades away. Haven't seen it "in the wild" yet.

Jo

Good, innit?! Today (in Manchester) was a good day for seeing it. Looked
up at it loads of times throughout the day.

It certainly is true that the ability to see it develops with practice,
once you "know"/recognise what you're looking for. Maybe you kind of
end up "de-training" the brain from "compensating it out" a bit, as
you practise more.

Martin
--
M.A.Poyser