"Binocular Albireos"

Old November 19th 04, 04:42 PM

Default "Binocular Albireos"

Hi,

One of the things that gets me about binocular books is their emphasis
on telescope targets. Something on the lines of "... but to really
appreciate this target you will need a telescope." Granted, not many
DSO are truly within binocular reach.

However, three years ago I was scanning Bootes with my 9x60 when a pair
of stars got me: it was nu Bootes, two close stars with a striking
color difference. Something like a "binocular Albireo." I spent a great
deal of time looking at them, it was very pretty.

When I came home I searched for references to nu Bootes. I found not
many, and none mentioning the color difference. I then went to my atlas
and started looking for similar configurations, but was not so
successful (my notebook says, for example, that b Gemini was not as
striking).

SO, I wonder if anybody has noticed nu Bootes the same way, and if
there is a list somewhere of similar targets. Are there any other
binocular Albireos?

Best,

- Cesar

Old November 19th 04, 09:02 PM
Jon Isaacs

SO, I wonder if anybody has noticed nu Bootes the same way, and if
there is a list somewhere of similar targets. Are there any other
binocular Albireos?

Well, there is alway Albireo itself, do able with a 6x30 finder on a good
night...

Sorry I cannot help you otherwise...

jon
Old November 19th 04, 09:16 PM
Morris Jones

SO, I wonder if anybody has noticed nu Bootes the same way, and if
there is a list somewhere of similar targets. Are there any other
binocular Albireos?

One of my favorites is omicron Cygni. I stumbled across this in some
large binoculars at Fremont Peak one night. 7x might not do it justice,
but 10x or 15x will.

Mojo
--
Morris Jones *
Monrovia, CA

http://www.whiteoaks.com
Old November 19th 04, 09:45 PM
Florian

There is a nice one in Canis Major. I don't recall the designation
however. It may be more of a small telescope double. I don't recall
if it's splitable in small binoculars or not. I've heard it refered
to as "the southern Albireo".

-Florian

Old November 19th 04, 10:02 PM
SaberScorpX

Are there any other
binocular Albireos?

There are very few Albireo-class bino-doubles,
but here's a good list to check out:
http://www.carbonar.es/s33/binodoubles/Binodoubles.html

SSX

Old November 20th 04, 12:22 AM

Just found this great list (while searching for h3945):

http://dvaa.org/AData/Colored Doubles040403.pdf
Still no nu Bootes (maybe too wide a pair...)

- Cesar

Old November 20th 04, 03:10 AM
Canopus

wrote in message roups.com...
snip [i]s a list somewhere of similar targets. Are there any other
binocular Albireos?

If you mean visually striking color pairs suitable for binoculars, I
do not have a compiled list, only notes. My current favorite published
list of bright multiple stars with magnitudes (8.0v) and separations
(30"300") suitable for binoculars, is the USNO's Bright Doubles
List, Appendix H in the USNO's online Astronomical Almanac -

http://asa.usno.navy.mil/SecH/2005/doublestar_2005.pdf
http://asa.usno.navy.mil/index.html (Main page)

One minor problem with the USNO list is the authors do not
cross-reference each star's Bayer name. For example, HR382 on the list
is simply phi Cass. These cross-references can easily be decoded using
Simbad at:

http://simbad.u-strasbg.fr/sim-fid.pl

The Astronomical League's Double Star list, although partially
telescopic, is very useable for binoculars. Just exclude any row with
a separation below 30" or 50" depending on your binocular's
magnification:

http://www.astroleague.org/al/obsclu.../dblstar2.html

Otherwise, I build binocular double and multi-star observing lists
using Phil Harrington's lists in _Touring the Universe with
Binoculars_.

http://www.philharrington.net/sw8.htm

Maybe others here can suggest a list of pairs with wide-separation and
good color contrast.

- Canopus
Old November 20th 04, 05:05 AM
SaberScorpX

Still no nu Bootes (maybe too wide a pair...)

nu1 and nu2 Boo are a white and yellow-gold 5th mag. optical pair with a sep.
of 10'.

SSX