Space Odyssey BBC1 tonight

Old November 15th 04, 11:45 PM
Martin

"Roger Smith" wrote in message
In message , Martin
wrote
I think as an attempt at "Serious Science" its one of
the worst things I've seen, even by the pathetic standards of the BBC.

The
final part sees on astronaut die from radiation sickness (in reality

they'd
all have died poncing around the solar system like that) oh and there's a
fire to deal with as well. Oh and the crew debate as to continue or turn
round and go home (presumably they just decide to engage the "warp drive"

do that then?

Why do you assume it is any more of an attempt at serious science than
sending someone through time to shoot "wildlife encounter"
documentaries? Or any other drama programme for that matter that takes
science as part of its background?

Listening to the BBC science editor on News 24 last week say that he has

real hard time working with an office full of arts graduates who think
science is a waste of time is it any wonder the BBC turn out such

garbage?

No that can be taken as an explanation as to why the BBC's science
programming is declining but should not be used as an excuse to bash
their extremely limited science fiction output.

--
Roger
52:54:41N

Because there are far more wildlife type programmes on the BBC and many are
serious in their content. The whole Space Odyssey show has totally ignored
the real Science behind how to do the sort of things they show on the series
(you need to watch the Discovery Channel for that) and whats even odder the
Sunday special did attempt to explain a little of the Science although it
seemed more of a back slapping exercise.

The BBC seem to assume that the British public are unable (or are not
interested) in having real Science explained to them in a way that does not
have to invlove explosions, death or warp drive. I disagree and think the
time effort and money would have been better spend on real Science on TV.
Its NOT the job of the BBC to pander to audiences, thats why it has a
guaranteed income through taxation.

I guess it could be worse, we could have some camp gay bloke doing a
makeover of the Mars lander with two birds with big arses telling the female
astronauts that they will never get a man with a wardrobe full of
spacesuits.

Martin

Old November 16th 04, 11:01 AM
Martin

"Jim" wrote in message
Paul Neave wrote:

Looking forward to this, 9pm tonight

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/prog.../spaceodyssey/

Many thanks to eveyone who let me know when it was repeated - I got it
this time :-)

Jim

What did you think of it?

Martin

Old November 16th 04, 11:20 AM
Jim

In article , Martin wrote:

"Jim" wrote in message
Paul Neave wrote:

Looking forward to this, 9pm tonight

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/prog.../spaceodyssey/

Many thanks to eveyone who let me know when it was repeated - I got it
this time :-)

Jim

What did you think of it?

Haven't watched all of it yet (just got to the 'dust devil' bit on
Mars), but overall I'd say it's entertaining rather than informative.

Not bad though - easy watching rather than something I have to think
about.

The second one's on tonight, yes?

Jim
--
Find me at http://www.ursaMinorBeta.co.uk
"Brace yourself, this might make your eyes water."
Old November 16th 04, 01:13 PM
Jim

In article , Chris Taylor wrote:

"Jim" wrote in message
In article , Martin wrote:
The second one's on tonight, yes?

16 Nov, 9pm BBC One

That would be a 'yes' then? :-)

Jim
Old November 16th 04, 01:13 PM
Chris Taylor

Old November 16th 04, 03:22 PM
AA Institute

"Martin" wrote:-

I'll be looking forward to that. As it's a "mini-series", I wonder how
many episodes there are in total?

Abdul Ahad

Just two, thank god. I think as an attempt at "Serious Science" its one of
the worst things I've seen, even by the pathetic standards of the BBC.

Well, it's probably *hard* to portray realism without the heavy
Hollywood-scale budgets on the filming side, I agree. But at least the
story line doesn't require too much money I would've thought...

I have my own stories to contemplate over, and I certainly wouldn't
let any BBC calibre camera crew film my motion pictures! See what you
think of this:-

http://uk.geocities.com/aa_spaceagen...acentauri.html

Enjoy...
Abdul
Old November 16th 04, 04:31 PM
Chris Taylor

Yup, Thought I'd missed the second episode and checked on the BBC website to
make sure. Being inherently lazy, copy/pasting it was the best I could do at
the time...

Am suitably chilled now though and looking forward to a nice cup of horlicks
and the show.

Enjoy :-))

Chris

"Jim" wrote in message