Filter Sets

Old July 24th 03, 09:44 PM
Jon Yardley

Default Filter Sets

Hi, Could anyone help?

I need to know the WCL, FWHM and peak transmition of :
Deep sky H-Alpha filter
OIII
Infrared bands j, h, k and l

Any help would be appreciated

--

Jon
Old July 26th 03, 03:53 PM
Steve Willner

In article ,
Jon Yardley writes:
Infrared bands j, h, k and l

There are several different filter sets in use, but best modern
practice is probably the Gemini set. Information at
http://www.gemini.edu/documentation/...nts/pre73.html

There are other relevant documents on the Gemini web site, which is
easily searchable. Prior to the new Gemini filters, the "Barr"
filter set was probably the most widely used. I think its
specifications are probably on the Gemini site somewhere.

You asked about the Sloan filters in sci.astro. Have you looked at
the Sloan web site?

--
Steve Willner Phone 617-495-7123
Cambridge, MA 02138 USA

Old July 26th 03, 03:53 PM
Tom Kerr

In article , Jon Yardley wrote:
Hi, Could anyone help?

I need to know the WCL, FWHM and peak transmition of :
Deep sky H-Alpha filter
OIII
Infrared bands j, h, k and l

You might try a google search for astronomical filter manufacturers. Some of
them provide online transmission data. For instance, OCLI (www.ocli.com)
make infrared filters for astronomy, and transmission spectra for many of
these filters are available on their website. Many observatories also make
their filter data available on the web.

Although I'm not particularly familiar with visible-wavelength filters, you
should be aware that the numbers you ask for will vary depending on the
specifics of the manufacturing process. Regarding infrared astronomy, the
properties of J, H, K and L filters change slightly when the filters are
subject to cryogenic temperatures, so depending on your own specific
requirements, you might need to be careful about which data you use.