Experiments to contact "other universes" in the multiverse.

Old August 18th 18, 08:18 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

Default Experiments to contact "other universes" in the multiverse.

Apparently, there are about 20 experiments going at any one time to make some kind of connection to "alternate universes" because of the multiverse theory. How does someone at a university go about securing funds for such...fanciful endeavours?
I thought that if other universes (and dimensions outside our own) existed, the math would suggest it's impossible to connect with them?
Old August 18th 18, 09:43 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Saturday, August 18, 2018 at 1:18:32 AM UTC-6, RichA wrote:

I thought that if other universes (and dimensions outside our own) existed, the
math would suggest it's impossible to connect with them?

Yes, that's what I remembered them saying when the many-worlds interpretation of
quantum mechanics was first proposed. However, a quantum computer essentially is a
computer that brings us answers from copies of itself in alternate realities...

John Savard
Old August 18th 18, 12:53 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gary Harnagel

On Saturday, August 18, 2018 at 2:43:20 AM UTC-6, Quadibloc wrote:

On Saturday, August 18, 2018 at 1:18:32 AM UTC-6, RichA wrote:

I thought that if other universes (and dimensions outside our own)
existed, the math would suggest it's impossible to connect with them?

Yes, that's what I remembered them saying when the many-worlds
interpretation of quantum mechanics was first proposed. However, a
quantum computer essentially is a computer that brings us answers from
copies of itself in alternate realities...

John Savard

Have you read James P. Hogan's novel, "Thrice Upon a Time"?

Anyway, if brane theory is correct then adjacent universes may be only
millimeters away, or closer.
Old August 18th 18, 01:49 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

There will always be an underdeveloped adult audience for these type of things where the indulgences of late 17th century theorists were replaced by utter fantasy by their colleagues in the entire 20th century. It is pointless pandering to the useless language and convictions which comprise these fantasies so that leaves the considerable sorting out of the issues of the late 17th century and specifically the followers of Newton.

In the early 20th century they dumped an aetherial medium on Newton as 'absolute space' despite the fact that Isaac created problems for those in the 19th century by already rejecting a medium in space -

https://www.jstor.org/stable/2790054...n_tab_contents

Normally the entire premise of relativity would collapse once these comments became visible however the dubious talent of theorists to ignore what they need to in order to further a particular narrative is perhaps the only relevant issue.

Newton's absolute/relative space and motion are based on perspectives which have been presented many, many times in this forum and particularly the direct/retrograde perspective which appears to give Newton's agenda legs and at complete variance with direct/retrograde motions as the original Sun centered astronomers seen them. People who can lie to themselves out of self-importance or because they know no better find comradeship in time travel, warped space, multiverses and so on however the real adult work is at the older crossroads between geocentricity and a Sun centered system.

The natural home for astronomical observers of all stripes is in perspectives and not with theorists.

Old August 18th 18, 02:40 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Sat, 18 Aug 2018 00:18:30 -0700 (PDT), RichA
wrote:

Apparently, there are about 20 experiments going at any one time to make some kind of connection to "alternate universes" because of the multiverse theory. How does someone at a university go about securing funds for such...fanciful endeavours?
I thought that if other universes (and dimensions outside our own) existed, the math would suggest it's impossible to connect with them?

You get funding by demonstrating that you have some kind of
experimental method for testing some aspect of a theory. Not every
multiverse theory requires that it be impossible to transmit
information between them. And even more to the point, such theories
often predict certain things measurable in our own universe which
would argue for the existence of others, even without it being
possible to connect with them in any direct way.

This research is very important fundamental work.
Old August 18th 18, 04:06 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

wrote:

Apparently, there are about 20 experiments going at any one time to make some kind of connection to "alternate universes" because of the multiverse theory. How does someone at a university go about securing funds for such....fanciful endeavours?
I thought that if other universes (and dimensions outside our own) existed, the math would suggest it's impossible to connect with them?

You get funding by demonstrating that you have some kind of
experimental method for testing some aspect of a theory. Not every
multiverse theory requires that it be impossible to transmit
information between them. And even more to the point, such theories
often predict certain things measurable in our own universe which
would argue for the existence of others, even without it being
possible to connect with them in any direct way.

This research is very important fundamental work.

That stuff is important if a person is gaining a living and reputation but it really is worthless, nuisance stuff that distracts from creative and productive research. After over two decades here in this newsgroup I can safely say there is a British/American group caught up in convictions that willfully ignore basic planetary facts while being unable to deal with their own evolving narratives specifically related to Royal Society empiricism.

From experience, no relevant piece of information moves those caught in a pseudo-intellectual stare, not even handing over the keys of the contrived absolute/relative time,space and motion which began the sorcerer's apprentice version of astronomy in the late 17th century.

Remarkable era in which so much productive material is available and so few who can take advantage of it due to these empirical unfortunates who have control of the education system. The multiverses are in your own heads where you live out your lives without any inspirational connection to the planet, the solar system and galaxy.

Old August 18th 18, 06:33 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Chris L Peterson:

Not every
multiverse theory requires that it be impossible to transmit
information between them. And even more to the point, such theories
often predict certain things measurable in our own universe which
would argue for the existence of others, even without it being
possible to connect with them in any direct way.

This research is very important fundamental work.

To quote Fermi, "Where are they?"

Yours is one point of view. Another is that the "multiverse" is
nonsense, based on so-called "string theory," or "M-theory," which is
not a theory but only a guess, as it offers no means to test it. It's
an attempt to make up a solution to the problem of quantum gravity,
which may not be a problem at all, as there may not be a theory of
quantum gravity; the laws of the very large and the very small could be
separate; these laws are not obligated to conform to physicists' fluid
notions as to what is "elegant" and "beautiful." After all, "M-theory"
with 11 or so dimensions and multiple universes, is far too convoluted
to meet science's classical definition of elegance or beauty.

"As a conservative, I do not agree that a division of physics into
separate theories for large and small is unacceptable. I am happy with
the situation in which we have lived for the last 80 years, with
separate theories for the classical world of stars and planets and the
quantum world of atoms and electrons." --Freeman Dyson in a review of
Brian Greenešs book "The Fabric of the Cosmos."

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old August 18th 18, 09:54 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

So well and good, once the celebrity theorist died with a Church service and a burial in Westminster Abbey no less, the spell many were under has been broken. It wouldn't matter how many new topics I brought to this newsgroup each day, what mattered was that theorist and followers presented a united front until he opted to have his remains buried beside Isaac in a hapless attempt to maintain a connective narrative via relativity hence doing everyone a favour.

Once the spell is broken there are two options -

1. Start to use 21st century observations productively and creatively

Old August 18th 18, 11:03 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

I never had to pay any heed to the fanciful narratives, only how they developed within context of the dead end to which most now find themselves -

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/rel...od-debate.html

Old August 18th 18, 11:14 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Sat, 18 Aug 2018 13:33:31 -0400, Davoud wrote:

Chris L Peterson:

Not every
multiverse theory requires that it be impossible to transmit
information between them. And even more to the point, such theories
often predict certain things measurable in our own universe which
would argue for the existence of others, even without it being
possible to connect with them in any direct way.

This research is very important fundamental work.

To quote Fermi, "Where are they?"

Yours is one point of view. Another is that the "multiverse" is
nonsense, based on so-called "string theory," or "M-theory," which is
not a theory but only a guess, as it offers no means to test it.

The latter would be a view from the position of ignorance. There are
multiverse theories that do not descend from string theory or issues
of quantum gravity. Theories which, do, in fact, make testable
predictions. Exploring unlikely theories which go to the fundamentals
of cosmology is work that needs to be done.